Cloud Clipper 71" Old Timer Style Kit

Here's a great looking and flying vintage kit that is lightweight and made from mostly laser cut balsa parts

Splash

Beautiful Flying Model Kit

Here's a great looking and flying vintage kit that is lightweight and made from mostly laser cut balsa parts that is easy to build. It can be completed with an electric or glow power plant and covered in your choice of materials and trim schemes. The Cloud Clipper has a 71" wingspan so it's nice and big and easy to see. There's just something about a vintage design like this that makes you feel good when you see it fly. Watch the video below and you'll see what I mean.

Click here to see the Cloud Clipper 71"Kit

So what are your thoughts on the Cloud Clipper?

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 71/1800mm
  • Length: 52/1240mm
  • Weight: Electric flying weight 1800g
  • Kit Weight: 1400g

May 07, 2021, 05:33 PM
Thermals, Tom
Interesting. Years ago, there was a Chinese built Lanzo Bomber sold in Australia
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
May 07, 2021, 05:39 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Beautiful!!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
May 08, 2021, 07:37 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Neat... Might have to dust off an Ohlsson .60 and give it a go.

Mike
May 09, 2021, 03:46 PM
Single-task at best...
That's very attractive. Lots of Scorpion/Answer heritage, I'd say.

Might suit a throttled 4 - 5cc diesel?

Tim
May 09, 2021, 10:28 PM
Nice!!
May 10, 2021, 12:27 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim hooper
That's very attractive. Lots of Scorpion/Answer heritage, I'd say.

Might suit a throttled 4 - 5cc diesel?

Tim
THAT is why it looks different! ! ! ! I saw "Clipper" in the name and the flat elliptical wing and my thoughts turned to the Comet Clipper. But you're right Tim. The fuselage has a LOT of Scorpion/Answer look and feel to it. And the tail surfaces are more Bowers Fly Baby or perhaps Modelcraft Pacific Ace.

But it all works out pretty well. I think I'd like to see a little more planking or carved sheets around the motor/engine area to give a sort of "engine cowl look". But it's a very nice looking design. And it certainly answers the need and present lack of kits out there.

Jason didn't mention any sources but a quick search turned up a US source;

https://www.redwingrc.com/Old-Timer-...ch-1800mm.html

And a UK source at;

https://www.redwingrc.com/Old-Timer-...ch-1800mm.html
May 10, 2021, 12:32 PM
If you click on the link in the original post, (the blue letters) it takes you to that Redwing site.

SteveT.
May 10, 2021, 01:43 PM
B for Bruce
Oh, that pesky looking "Click here to see the Cloud Clipper 71"Kit" ? I totally blew over that.... .DOH!
May 10, 2021, 01:55 PM
Many people do, of course most are newbies that don't realize the blue letters are a hyperlink..

SteveT.
May 11, 2021, 05:36 PM
GO!!!
Over the winter I built a Cloud Walker 65inch polyhedral model from the same outfit. It was a joy to build after all the arfs I'm used to, a real box full of balsa, and it flies really well too.
May 11, 2021, 08:47 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Many people do, of course most are newbies that don't realize the blue letters are a hyperlink..

SteveT.
Oh, that hurts... it's well deserved but it still stings... .
May 11, 2021, 08:57 PM
Well... didn't mean for it to hurt, just kidding a bit, hence the smileys and no ..

SteveT.
May 12, 2021, 09:27 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Years ago, I had a Ben Buckle Super Scorpion. I missed that airplane, but I don't miss building it. That kit had a lot of issues- so did the plan.

I was really looking for an Answer kit- a bit smaller than the Super Skorpion, but I'm wondering how tough it is to build. I saw this airplane on the Carolina Custom Kits site and ordered it, but I recognize that it's not the Super Skorpion- which had an undercambered airfoil which worked very well. This airplane looks like it has a flat bottom airfoil that might not fly as well, although I'm sure it'll be easier to build. Unfortunately, it's also a bit larger and I have a small car....
May 13, 2021, 03:16 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Well... didn't mean for it to hurt, just kidding a bit, hence the smileys and no ..

SteveT.
All good. Just pulling your leg a bit.

The Brits have a phrase that goes "taking the piss out of a buddy". It's pretty much what I took your post to be as a good natured ribbing. And I tried to reply in kind.

Perhaps I've hung around too many Brits in my life. I've become too used to it. If someone I know isn't having a good natured little dig at me and suddenly starts treating me with obvious respect and talking nice to me I start to wonder if I've done something wrong or I'm dying of something and haven't been told yet. Yep, that's pretty well how it works....

Quick Reply