Discus Launch Gliders - Video Series Overview

Learn more about discus launch gliders and this video series and see how much fun you can have without a motor.

Splash

Who Needs a Motor Anyway???

Yes this is an article about gliders in the Electric Plane section. I'm putting it here on purpose because I'm talking to you, the electric airplane enthusiasts. It never fails, at a major event like Joe Nall or SEFF, pilots will stand in awe as they watch some guy over in a corner of the field spin around and throw a little glider 200+ feet into the air and then fly around for several minutes or longer then zoom back down doing loops and rolls and slowing it down to almost zero airspeed for a hand catch. They should stand in awe, it's amazing! The first time you see it in action, it's hard to believe that it's possible. Well it is and yes it is as fun as it looks.

At the 2021 Florida Spring DLG Contest this past weekend, I shot a some videos mainly directed towards non-glider pilots. I wanted to share how these DLG's work, provide some answers to common questions and generally get you excited enough to want to get one and try it. I'll apologize in advanced for the audio quality as it was quite windy and I did not have proper mics with me to mask it.

If you think this is cool and want to learn more, we have a whole forum dedicated to it in the sailplane section called Hand Launch. Feel free to ask any questions here as well and I'll be happy to answer. Watch the videos below and then let me know what you think. Is this something you would try? If not, then why?

F3K Videos Intro (0 min 57 sec)

F3K Videos CX5 DLG Overview (3 min 53 sec)

F3K Videos Basic Radio Setup (4 min 37 sec)

F3K Videos Launch Example (1 min 34 sec)

F3K Videos Tasks Overview (10 min 4 sec)

F3K Videos 4321 Task (11 min 28 sec)

F3K Videos All Up Launch (0 min 27 sec)

Last edited by Jason Cole; May 04, 2021 at 01:02 PM..
May 04, 2021, 12:43 PM
Thank you for sharing Jason!!
There’s nothing quite like flying a DLG
May 04, 2021, 04:08 PM
CR5
CR5
Love my DLG, kinda confused as to why this is in the electric plane forum though.
May 04, 2021, 04:09 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Love my DLG, kinda confused as to why this is in the electric plane forum though.
Read the article. Itís the first thing I addressed.
May 05, 2021, 04:07 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Can't view the videos - all I get is "The web page at https://www.youtube.com/embed/Upzssf...de=transparent might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address."
May 05, 2021, 08:00 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Can't view the videos - all I get is "The web page at https://www.youtube.com/embed/Upzssf...de=transparent might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address."

They are working fine here. Could it be a country restriction with YouTube videos?
May 05, 2021, 08:20 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
OK now, don't know what the problem was.
May 05, 2021, 09:10 AM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Read the article. It’s the first thing I addressed.
Sorry, should have read it first.

Thanks, the more interest in DLG the better. It's so fun but there's so little support for it in NA. You guys in the US don't have it too bad but up here there's almost nowhere to order from without having to pay a bunch of import fees, these things are expensive enough without the extra duty and fees involved in bringing in one model.
I'm still shopping for a new one, can't decide which one but it's going to be expensive

DLG is one of the best ways to get into non powered flight as well.
-They're easy to transport
-Fairly easy to fly once you get the setup correct (which is better with an experienced hand helping out)
-Can be flown anywhere because they're so maneuverable.
-Require no runway since you catch it 98% of the time.
-Flight battery costs only a few dollars and can fly for hours.
-They're pretty tough considering how light they are.
-You don't have to use expensive servos even though most people seem to.

Only real negative other than the initial cost of the model is that you can't do DLG properly without a decent radio. You need some advanced mixing available. This isn't bad for guys who have been in the hobby a while but for someone who hasn't upraded to something more capable yet it's another cost to consider.

I haven't done any competitions but it sure looks like something I'd like to try doing in a group. I only have a 1m DLG right now but think it was a good model to start with (Malibu 1m). It definitely got me hooked. Next one will be a high end 1.5m (once my shoulder is fixed).

I'm always in awe when I see how high some guys can throw a 1.5m glider.
My little 1m model has taught me that those high launches are the key to having enough time to find some lift. My model doesn't have enough inertia to go that high on launch but it's still a lot of fun. I caught my first thermal last fall and it was so high I had to steer out of the lift and was able to have a bunch of fun doing aerobatics on the way back down.
Last edited by CR5; May 05, 2021 at 09:36 AM.
May 05, 2021, 09:51 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Nice CR5. Glad you are enjoying it. Can’t wait to hear what you think when you get a 1.5M!

Quick Reply