May 21, 2021, 05:46 AM
Not to steer the discussion away, but here's a similar Larry Renger creation for the Cox foam wings - the Skyfire. M&P Enterprises (Dick "Fast Richard" Mathis & partner) offered a kit many years ago. Very similar approach to the Fw 190A Butcher Bird.

Dennis
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2021, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Looks super fine. If works fine, i want to build more using epp sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ama353
Not to steer the discussion away, but here's a similar Larry Renger creation for the Cox foam wings - the Skyfire. M&P Enterprises (Dick "Fast Richard" Mathis & partner) offered a kit many years ago. Very similar approach to the Fw 190A Butcher Bird.

Dennis
Jul 30, 2021, 09:31 AM
Watching this one, I have had one of these kits sitting on the shelf for 25 years.
Aug 05, 2021, 03:03 AM
Larry not only designed the Skyfire for the foam wings, Larry was actually the engineer at Cox who designed the foam wings Cox used and gave away.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ama353

Dennis
Dec 02, 2021, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
Abandoned project due to another ones. But now i have time and saw this and decided to advance.

Basically glued the wings, prepared the Bellcrank, lead outs and so, putted some masking tape and put some paint to it.

Many says Rustoleum is not fuel proof, but i tested tge very same can (grey) against Blue Lustrekote and "Esmalte Sintético" (i dont know the name in english, but time ago was used to paint cars). Made test like 2 years ago and the best results was woth this Rustoleum can. But the 3 paints can remarkable whitstand the abuse of 25% nitro fuel.
Dec 04, 2021, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Well, ended this project. It came a little lighter than my Little Jumpin Bean, so good news.

Also was balanced like 1, 25" from the LE, i believe is a good starting point.

Maiden will be tomorrow
Dec 05, 2021, 03:17 PM
Thread OP
Maiden flight was today! Flew super fine, super happy with it!

Cox FW-190 con alas de foam de los 70's (2 min 0 sec)
Dec 16, 2021, 02:52 PM
Thanks for posting this build. It gave me the inspiration to a build a Super Stunter. I've been working on a method to 3D print the bulkheads and vacuum form the skin for the fusalage. The wings will be foam. I will post a build log in the near future. Nice work.
Dec 29, 2021, 11:04 AM

How to bend depron?

Hi,

Love the topic and I have a set of the FW190 foam wings from cox. I also have a series of meat trays from the super Market .

My question is how do you bend Straight depron (meat tray) to the curvature of the wing airfoil(FW 190 wing panel)?

Thanks for the help in advance.

mccoy40
Dec 29, 2021, 11:29 AM
I have never done this, but have seen others score a series of lines,(closely next to each other)on the underside of the depron ( meat tray) and then bend or fold into the crease. I dont think it has to be cut, just creased. Im sure those that have done this will chime in...gene
Jan 09, 2022, 12:38 PM
Happy New Year. Haven't kept track of this thread. I saw a video or picture of a guy that boiled water in a tea kettle and poured it over the foam wings. The foam sheet was placed over a couple sticks and it drooped in the centre and kept the shape when cooled. I would think it is not a true airfoil, but more of a curve that looks about right. TLAR

Quick Reply