Jul 01, 2005, 07:16 AM
cousin Dave
Thread OP

Visiting Salt Lake City July 4 weekend

I'm visiting Salt Lake this weekend through July 6th. I will be bringing a suitcase sized sloper (mini weasel) and hope to find some good sites. Since I don't know the area, I'm hoping to get advise from the local flyers on where to go. I do plan to visit Antelope Island, but I know there are other sites as well.

Please advise me on the best slopes for the wind conditions. If any guys are sloping Sunday July 3rd, I'd love meet your group. Otherwise, your slope site advise will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave Cousins from Alabama
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2005, 12:49 PM
Ex Hillhog
Main slopesite is the Point of the Mountain, on the southside of the city.
For driving instructions see
http://www.silentflyer.org/flyingsites.html

Wind is typically from the South in the mornings and often swicthes to North late in the afternoon. Forecast for the coming weekend looks a little soft but flyable.

Welcome to SLC,
TK
Jul 01, 2005, 01:45 PM
cousin Dave
Thread OP

Do I need 4wd for Point of the Mountain?

Thanks TK,
I'm wondering if a standard rental car can make it up the steep mountain roads. Please advise if I need 4wd, I'm hoping 2wd will work. The Point of the mountain looks good for NW winds only, did I interprete the map correctly?
Dave
Jul 01, 2005, 01:57 PM
Ex Hillhog
A usual car is fine for the Point of the Mountain and Antelope.
The higher elevation sites are probably still wet/snowy due to the snowy winter, so I'd skip them anyway.

The map is not too clear.. The lower slope site faces south/southeast and the upper one is northwest. Also the dirt road connecting the south and north sites at the top is not accessible anymore. So to switch sides one has to get back down on the frontage road along the highway and go around.

Most slope guys fly in the mornings on the southside.

-TK
Jul 01, 2005, 02:16 PM
Slope Dog
Dave don't forget all your external ballast and tape. Give me a call when you are headed back to Portland so we can get together again.
Mike
Jul 01, 2005, 03:58 PM
Member: GSPL

Directions

The silentflyer directions are for the north side. To get to the south side exit at #291 and at the 4way stop turn right on the frontage road. Continue around the point of the mountain and you will see a sign for the flight park. You will turn into the 2nd entrance of the gravel company that is around the sharp bend of the road and follow the base of the hill till it joins the mountain, here the road will start up hill. Keep on the road and you will see a small sign that says RC area. This veers to the right behind the Parasail/Hangglider area.

Have fun!!!

Jeff

Map:
Jul 01, 2005, 05:36 PM
cousin Dave
Thread OP

Awsome directions

You guys are great. Jeff, Thanks for the directions to the south side.

Gorgeflyer, yup I'll bring my ballast.

Tknuutti, I appreciate you info.

Now who's is planning to fly this weekend? July 3 and 4th.

Dave
Jul 01, 2005, 06:03 PM
Member: GSPL
Wish I was. I need to fix crash damage to my only flyable glider. Grrrrrrr.
Jul 01, 2005, 10:46 PM
sewing machine thumb
I'm down from Jackson for the weekend. I'm planning to go to Point of the Mountain tomorrow. Don't know about Sunday yet. It depends on the wind.
Jul 01, 2005, 11:19 PM
cousin Dave
Thread OP

What's the minimum wind speed for Point of the Mountain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
I'm down from Jackson for the weekend. I'm planning to go to Point of the Mountain tomorrow. Don't know about Sunday yet. It depends on the wind.
Winds are looking great for tomorrow 14 from the S then it switches to the NW and picks up to 16mph. Just like tknuutti said the winds shift from S to NW.

To bad for me, I don't arrive till the Sat evening. I'm going to try on Sunday but the winds only hit 5 mph. What's the minimum flyable speed for Point of the mountain?
Jul 01, 2005, 11:58 PM
Ex Hillhog
Around 6-7 mph at the Point is ok for light stuff.
Wind at the Point often differs a little from conditions up in the city.
The South/North switch hits the city first and the Point a few hours later.

There's a weatherstation down by the highway just next to the Point;
http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/roma...se.cgi?stn=UT7
Just add a couple mph to the speed and you get actual conditions up at the Point.

-Tauno
Jul 03, 2005, 08:52 PM
sewing machine thumb
How was it today (Sunday)? Lift was cyclic but good Saturday through about 3:00 pm or so.

It was pretty calm this morning and the forecast wasn't inspiring, so I decided to leave early and check out a site in Wyoming on the way home. As it turns out, I probably should have just flown in Salt Lake City ...
Jul 04, 2005, 01:12 AM
cousin Dave
Thread OP
Hey Frank,
Lift was great today. I got to the bench by 1pm. Winds were strong enough but too eastern to enjoy. Then ??Derick?? & Tauno showed up & allowed me to follow them to top. The hike is about a half mile, up hill, but worth it. At the top the air was smooth & I had a great time. You should have stayed in SLC.
Dave
Jul 04, 2005, 10:20 AM
Dave,

Hope you have good wind in SLC today! I was out there last year but did not have a plane with me. I went to "Some Dudes Hobby Shop" real name! But they did not have anything RTF so I could not fly. That little mini weasel of yours would have been awesome in my suitcase. You still using spoons for balast?

Give me a call next time you are in Portland. I modded my tranny like you sugested and hope it will help me fly better?

Tony
Jul 04, 2005, 12:42 PM
cousin Dave
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshires
Dave,
Hope you have good wind in SLC today! I was out there last year but did not have a plane with me. That little mini weasel of yours would have been awesome in my suitcase. You still using spoons for balast?
Tony
Yesterday was great. Yup, I had the spoons taped on when we hiked to the top. Ugly, but it works pretty good. I've decided that the steel spoons spread the mass better then lead so I get better crash resistance. That's just my theory. I tested the crash resistance plenty too. I really have had a good time this month. Flying at Lumber & now SLC has been great enjoyment.
I'm still expecting to get back to portland but schedule is unknown.
Dave

Quick Reply