May 02, 2021, 09:48 AM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP
Build Log

P-51B 1:48 brushless

Iíve had this project going beside the micro 109. Sort of off to the side as the 109 took a lot of effort to get flying nicely. The 109 and p51 are the same scale and its amazing how much larger the mustang is. Being larger with all that wing area I decided to try brushless. Using the happy model se0603 and the mx3a esc. Using a dancing wings rx34 receiver and 3 didel 100 ohm coils for elevator and ailerons. Once again the elevator had to be dumbed down and careful attention to wing incidence and thrust angle. In order to have any flight time I had to up the battery to a 100mah. It can now fly for close to 9 mins with careful power management. Model will cruise fine at very low throttle. The prop is a 4 blade home made garolite. I cut out all blades and sanded them as one brick before shaping and glueing to a hub. More experimentation with props might help this model but it has a whack of power. My motor windings are getting pretty warm so I assume there is some prop efficiently lacking. Still not bad for first try. I plan to work more on fine tuning this model over the summer. Itís very stable and could be made even lighter with a brushed system and smaller battery. The video shows a few bursts of full power where model climbs out with authority. I didnít want to offend anyone by having the 109 out perform the p-51. More progress reports to follow.
(1 min 6 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2021, 09:51 AM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP
Weight is around 11 grams with the large battery and static thrust is 12grams.
May 02, 2021, 03:12 PM
Very, very nice.
I wouldn't be offended, if the kraut plane outperformed the yankee one...
Impressive self-made prop. Is the spinner also home-made?
What kV is the motor? Did you rewire it?
Does the "canopy" close by magnet?
May 02, 2021, 03:17 PM
It's a sickness..
Another beauty! Thanks for sharing.

Charles
May 03, 2021, 05:35 AM
I love it! Too much! Aren’t the actuators too weak for such a powerful motor?

I have some Micro gearbox motors coming in from Vladimir (2 grams total weight with a variety of thrust).
I have actuators from plantraco and a Deltang RX. I thought I had to go to servos for this??
May 03, 2021, 11:56 AM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP
This model is using larger coils and i put as many magnets that fit on the control surface. I bias the stack of magnets so they favor moving the control surface up. This way you have more aileron and elevator up travel. Not sure there is the authority for crisp rolls but havent tried. I can see using a single servo for ailerons for aerobatics. Im going to work on a second version soon. Trade off the weight of the brushless equip for brushed motor and a lighter battery. This model started brushed and the wingloading was so low it could fly figure eights in the front yard over a wide speed range. I agree 11 grams weight with hinge actuators is near the limit. Still has pretty crisp control response.
May 03, 2021, 05:38 PM
Aedificem ergo sum
Nice!

The '109 was tiny compared to the US fighters of the era (so was the Zero for that matter). And the ME-209 (even tinier) held the piston engine speed record for 30 years until a heavily modified F8F Reno reacer finally topped it. So, it's historically accurate for a German plane to outperform a Mustang

Not sure if the Rx34 has an amplifier chip or not (looks like it might from the pictures), but you can use lower ohm coils to get more punch from the aileron actuators, especially if you are wiring them in series. And stack smaller magnets on top of the main magnets to get the surface of the magnets as close to the coil as possible.
May 04, 2021, 04:35 PM
yank and bank!!
Wow, that's impressive
May 04, 2021, 07:51 PM
yank and bank!!
Have you posted about how you make the airframe and the materials you use?
May 05, 2021, 09:53 AM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
Thread OP
There is a molding airframes thread where I post how I do it. If you search my posts you can find.

Quick Reply