May 03, 2021, 06:47 PM
Wayne Wimbish
I looked up the price on the Stream Team site. Didn't know that SUSA was handling CX5s now.

While it's nice to have a US source, availability seems to come with a steep premium.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2021, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Thank you everyone! Would you suggest light, windy, or standard. I am from Florida so there is not much consistency in the wind velocities. What is most common for competitions?
May 03, 2021, 09:51 PM
Time for me to Fly...
For a first plane, get standard. Light won’t work well in most conditions without ballast. Windy or strong would be ok but you probably won’t need that either and it will be a little less floaty when conditions are light. Down the road, if you want a plane for specific conditions, then look at those other layups. Of course, this is just one man’s opinion.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
May 03, 2021, 10:04 PM
Thread OP
I've only flown older models that did not have space for ballast. Couldn't you just get the light one and just ballast it heavier to get the same performance as the heavy or standard? Might be a dumb question...
May 03, 2021, 10:49 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Not dumb at all. I used to think a light ballasted model would be a good choice, but after flying in a couple of very windy events, I've seen how a light model, even when ballasted, can get knocked around in turbulence. With that comes an increased chance of damage with hard contact due to the lighter layup. I now agree with Mike that one is better off with a standard layup to start with. (or even a windy) It can handle the knocks better, can be better ballasted for windy days, and can still handle light air pretty well when you learn to fly smooth.

Wayne
May 04, 2021, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Standard it is! Do you know if the Falcon comes with servos? If not, do you guys have any suggestions?
May 04, 2021, 09:00 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Not many planes come with servos. The KST’s I mentioned above are perfect for the Falcon.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
May 04, 2021, 10:38 AM
Wayne Wimbish
So we have spent a fair amount of this conversation talking about new kits and their relative prices. The best value however, for someone looking to move up to a newer plane, is the used market. With a used plane you will get something that is receiver ready. (you may need a battery too.) It may have a few dings but that is what will bring the price way down from what a new/pristine model will cost (which btw, is not likely to stay that way for very long.)

You can watch the 4sale forum like a hawk until something you like comes along, or you can post a "Wanted" ad and let folks come to you with their offers.

Here is a prime example of the kind of deals you can find. This BAMF2 sold in the last two weeks for 60% of its original investment and will still fly just as good for you as a brand new one. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3878499-Bamf-2

If you absolutely have to have something brand spankin' new, just remember that comes at a premium cost. Shop wisely and "Used" simply means "Experienced but Affordable."

Wayne

btw, I highly recommend that you get together with Corsha99 and look over what the guys in Florida are flying before you buy anything. Cory will take good care of you and point you in the right direction.
Last edited by wdwimbish; May 04, 2021 at 10:45 AM.
May 04, 2021, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish
So we have spent a fair amount of this conversation talking about new kits and their relative prices. The best value however, for someone looking to move up to a newer plane, is the used market. With a used plane you will get something that is receiver ready. (you may need a battery too.) It may have a few dings but that is what will bring the price way down from what a new/pristine model will cost (which btw, is not likely to stay that way for very long.)

You can watch the 4sale forum like a hawk until something you like comes along, or you can post a "Wanted" ad and let folks come to you with their offers.

Here is a prime example of the kind of deals you can find. This BAMF2 sold in the last two weeks for 60% of its original investment and will still fly just as good for you as a brand new one. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3878499-Bamf-2

If you absolutely have to have something brand spankin' new, just remember that comes at a premium cost. Shop wisely and "Used" simply means "Experienced but Affordable."

Wayne

btw, I highly recommend that you get together with Corsha99 and look over what the guys in Florida are flying before you buy anything. Cory will take good care of you and point you in the right direction.
I just put a wanted add in the classifieds. Thank you, you never know!
May 04, 2021, 02:19 PM
DS Junkie
I agree that used is the way to go for now. Just beware though, that there is WIDE variation in what people consider to be an acceptable build (and this applies across the board, not just to DLGs).

Some mistakes are non-critical and just sub-optimal (heavy linkages, surfaces that don't center correctly) while others are potentially catastrophic, like pushrods that are not up to snuff, loose gear, etc. Been burned myself more than once and had an acquaintance recently throw a used snipe into the ground because of a shoddy pushrod installation.

Some other examples:

I once bought a used DLG that had the control horns glued to the surfaces of the flaperons (no slot cut!!). Pointed this out to the seller and he was insistent that I didn't know what I was talking about. Also bought another used DLG that included the battery and servo lead to plug it in. It came unplugged on the first session and the plane crashed spectacularly.

So, buyer beware and check everything carefully before flying and maybe post pictures here to get some help. There are about a million different ways to kill a toy airplane.
May 04, 2021, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish
I looked up the price on the Stream Team site. Didn't know that SUSA was handling CX5s now.

While it's nice to have a US source, availability seems to come with a steep premium.

Wayne
When you ordered them directly at Stream, you had additional shipping costs of ~ 140$, which doesn’t make any difference to the Soaring USA price .

Rollo
May 04, 2021, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' Eagle
I agree that used is the way to go for now. Just beware though, that there is WIDE variation in what people consider to be an acceptable build (and this applies across the board, not just to DLGs).

Some mistakes are non-critical and just sub-optimal (heavy linkages, surfaces that don't center correctly) while others are potentially catastrophic, like pushrods that are not up to snuff, loose gear, etc. Been burned myself more than once and had an acquaintance recently throw a used snipe into the ground because of a shoddy pushrod installation.

Some other examples:

I once bought a used DLG that had the control horns glued to the surfaces of the flaperons (no slot cut!!). Pointed this out to the seller and he was insistent that I didn't know what I was talking about. Also bought another used DLG that included the battery and servo lead to plug it in. It came unplugged on the first session and the plane crashed spectacularly.

So, buyer beware and check everything carefully before flying and maybe post pictures here to get some help. There are about a million different ways to kill a toy airplane.
Yah, I see that. I also got some iffy messages already, I'm not sure who has a legitimate offer or a scam.
May 04, 2021, 06:36 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo340
When you ordered them directly at Stream, you had additional shipping costs of ~ 140$, which doesn’t make any difference to the Soaring USA price .

Rollo
True, but the US buyer still has to pay shipping on the order from SUSA as well.
Last edited by wdwimbish; May 05, 2021 at 09:35 AM.
May 04, 2021, 08:22 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
private message sent
May 05, 2021, 07:37 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingSkipper
I just put a wanted add in the classifieds. Thank you, you never know!
You will want to put that ad in the Sailplanes FS/W forum rather than the Electrics FS/W forum if you want to see many responses for dlgs.

Wayne

Quick Reply