This thread is privately moderated by AlanM87, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 01, 2021, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Flitetest Foamies

I'm getting back into RC flight after a 30 year hiatus. Much has changed, mostly for the better :l I built a Wanderer 99 glider as a teenager, and then a Big Stick gas plane, that was a blast to fly. Time constraints and lack of discretionary funds pushed me away from the hobby.

A friend took me flying earlier this year, and let me fly his UMX Turbo Timber. I remembered how fun it is to fly.

Since then, I've been building Flitetest foamies, and having a blast re-learning how to fly, on the cheap. I've gone through a FT Mini Trainer, an Explorer, and a Storch.

My current plane is a scratch built Storch that I extended the nose 1 1/2" to improve the cg. I had to put quite a bit of lead in the nose of the original Storch. I moved the ailerons towards the middle of the wing, to protect them a bit from my abuse, and added 3" to them, as the Storch rolled a bit too lazily. This takes away any room for flaps, but the plane will fly extremely slow, so I think flaps would be a waste of time. Plus, with today's tech, you could always use flaperons.

I extended the bottom of the wing out to the wingtip, and built the wing with no dihedral. This allows you to use a full paintstick to join the wings, and strengthens the wingtips.

I also got rid of the wrap around rudder, as it made the elevator very weak at its center. I started out with the more traditional Explorer tail design, and added 1/2" all the way around to scale it up a bit.

The original Storch also would pitch up pretty hard with any amount of throttle. The horizontal stabilizer was angled a little down, relative to the bottom of the wing. I bought the speed build kit, so it wasn't a mistake on my end, except for the fact that I should have seen that, and corrected it right off. I'm not sure why it was designed that way. Maybe the laser just had a bad day. I made sure they were both in parallel planes in the new build, and this was probably the most significant mod, as far as flight performance goes.

The plane flies beautifully, much snappier and robust than the original Storch. It flies inverted a lot easier with the bigger, stronger elevator, and rolls a lot quicker with the aileron mods. I took all the electronics out of my beat up Storch, used $3 in foam board, and $1 in glue, and I now have a plane that's much more fun to fly. I like the Storch's curved bottom fuselage, as I'm just hand launching, and landing in grass.

Given the longer nose, I've dubbed the new build "The Pelican" lol.

Alan
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2021, 10:55 AM
If you go in the forums/foamies (scratchbuilt) section you will find a lot of free plans of any type of models to use or take inspiration from ( also in my blog). Happy landings

Quick Reply