Jun 07, 2021, 03:22 PM
Killer of Kwads
I'll answer for Dan:

x06 servos are superior to ES9051 servos
and he already has them
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2021, 03:32 PM
Yep. This. :-)
Spent a bit of tax return on 8 of them. 4 for the MD and 4 for the 1m homebuilt I’m making right now too.
Some advantages to having kids for sure. Lol
Jun 07, 2021, 03:54 PM
Killer of Kwads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81
Yep. This. :-)
Spent a bit of tax return on 8 of them. 4 for the MD and 4 for the 1m homebuilt I’m making right now too.
Some advantages to having kids for sure. Lol

I've seen pix of your boxes of servos on your desk for months
I ordered 5 x08 the day i ordered the Falcon, and they're sitting right here on my desk for another 6-8 weeks

the Dart will get some random 9g or 5g servos that i've already checked for centering and load, I'll make my decision of what gear goes in after i throw her on the CG scale and see what weight i can build to, to get the CG right on the aft CG limit of the wing, and then add a bit of nose weight for her maiden and first flights

hopefully i'll fly the Dart this weekend.. (the weather is forecast to be low 90s and sunny here this weekend!!!)
Jun 07, 2021, 04:28 PM
Well. I snapped them up because I was afraid they’d sell out across the planet and not be avail for some time due to this pandemic. Turns out you can still get them, but glad to have them of course. Learned as a kid never to go cheap on servos. Blue birds et al I know can be decent. But the kst’s are worth the money to me. Personal preference.
Jun 07, 2021, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
I am surprised to hear that the KST x06 servos will not fit into the servo tray as required. Is the problem that they’re too tall? Or is it that the servo tray openings aren’t wide enough?
Jun 07, 2021, 08:13 PM
Uh. No. The tray opening is too big for the servos. Xo6 (other than cheepo hk5330) is the smallest servo made man. L, W, and H is smaller than anything else you’re looking at and centering and speed are rock solid. There’s a reason they are $40. Old adage. You get what you pay for. 6grams and metal geared. Aluminum case. Ultra tiny. Simply can’t be beat.

You can’t comprehend how gossamer these powerful little things are until you hold one. The other two here are hk 5320 and
hk5330 I use on my nano dlg builds.

There just isn’t anything better suited to any 1m dlg. They’re literally made for it.
Last edited by Dan81; Jun 07, 2021 at 08:27 PM.
Jun 07, 2021, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Fascinating. Then they should mount vertically with your 3D printed tray without issue. Good luck.
Jun 07, 2021, 08:37 PM
Zero problem. Lot of room to spare actually. But I’m old fashioned. I make my servo trays out of ply.
I have the pulleys for the tail servos too. So saves even more room there. 500 mah 1s and de-cased ar410. Dry fit it all in there today. Tons of space comparatively to any other dlg it seems. I can’t figure out why others don’t leave more room up front like this to make things easier. Falcon 1.5 m is like this too. Spacious. When I go full sized it’ll be a falcon 100%. Everything else seems a crazy squeeze to get electronics in and moving freely. Doesn’t seem necessary to me

But the MD will stay in the box for a bit here. . I’m finishing my 1m homebuilt first to get some stick time in before I jump on the mini dart. I’m 24 years removed from sailplanes. And rusty.
Jun 11, 2021, 10:14 AM
IKNOWNOTHING
Caught the bug and snapped up a carbon dart from hyperflight.

This is my first dlg other than some balsa gliders I've built, so naturally this thing seems like a space age piece of tech to me.

So far only a hand full of flights but very impressed so far! Just need more knowledge and stick time.

Built at 130g w/o ballast, the only problem I have is the ailerons are a little sticky and not sure how to free them up otherwise putting it together was rather nice.
Jun 11, 2021, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by estho
Caught the bug and snapped up a carbon dart from hyperflight.

This is my first dlg other than some balsa gliders I've built, so naturally this thing seems like a space age piece of tech to me.

So far only a hand full of flights but very impressed so far! Just need more knowledge and stick time.

Built at 130g w/o ballast, the only problem I have is the ailerons are a little sticky and not sure how to free them up otherwise putting it together was rather nice.

Beautiful, I love the graphics on yours. You’ve saved 10g over my glass one. Is that a strong Layup carbon model? I thought the standard was meant to be around 120g. I don’t find that the plane suffers for weighing 140g, personally. It soars well.
Jun 11, 2021, 12:05 PM
Awesome. Same colors here. Looks like 1 more carbon one is avail. I’ll be assembling mine in a few weeks myself.

It DOES seem spaced aged doesn’t it?! All my planes back in the 90s were either built up or wood sheeted wings over foam core. This modern carbon is just amazing to me. :-)

Are they sticking at the cut in the root or along the hinge line? Either way some folded 400 grit paper lightly applied to the ‘sticky ‘ place will free them up.
Jun 11, 2021, 01:16 PM
Killer of Kwads
Quote:
Originally Posted by estho
the ailerons are a little sticky and not sure how to free them up otherwise putting it together was rather nice.
dry fitting my MD2 up last evening, i found the aileron push rods had a very rough surface, i could feel the stiction just running the rods through the tubes.. i took a bit of steel wool and smoothed them right up and added just a bit of graphite powder, just 'cause

EDIT:
super bummed for a micro-second... one of my aileron horns had a crack across part of the rod-hole (is that a thing), anyway it broke on the slightest movement... but then remembered Mickey's control rod bearing from JBweld, so i'm going to continue on and just rebuild the aileron horn...

i got this bird to learn to build, and learn to fix... it seems i got just what i wanted..

super impressed on the quality, fit, and finish.. a sub-200 dollar DLG glider, how can you go wrong... i should have bought two...
I got the glass version, white purple, and pink.. i'm stoked!! I also took the option of buying an extra horiz. and vertical stabs.. super impressed with the lightweight, and build quality, the vertical is also an asymmetrical foil... well worth the bux..

now the build continues.. i hope to fly this weekend... i feel the build will go well, it's pretty well complete, so i think setting up the servo/radio will take almost as much time as building this ship.. (first time user)

one thing that seems weird.. well a couple.. the nose has ample room for any short in height servo, but is very wide.. 4- 5g servos will fit in a line or stacked 2 on 2... even 4 decased 9g servos will fit in line.. (battery moved aft of course) i wish the nose was more like a Strike with openings on the side vs. the bottom..

but i've decided to build this out as described and fly it till i have to fix it, 4 upright in the tray..

I measured each part, and they are all in spec.. i'm going to build this out to the 140g design specs.

overall.. super stoked..
Last edited by KwadSkwad; Jun 11, 2021 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added junk
Jun 11, 2021, 04:39 PM
Good choice. You should be up and flying soon. Probably cheaper in the long run. Looking forward to your flight report.
Latest blog entry: DLG builds
Jun 26, 2021, 01:21 PM
If anyone who wanted one of these missed hyperflight’s stock, armsoarusa.com has the glass ones avail now.
Jun 30, 2021, 08:07 PM
Returning Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81
If anyone who wanted one of these missed hyperflight’s stock, armsoarusa.com has the glass ones avail now.
Looks like they sold out the same day. I got the first one (Orange).

Quick Reply