May 01, 2021, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Thoughts on Mini Dart 2?

Hello,
I am in the market for a first DLG and I think that the 1M options look promising, primarily due to the price-point.
There are a few options that are often mentioned:
  1. Mini Dart 2 (carbon fibre layup or fibreglass layup)
  2. Malibu Pro 1M
  3. Hawk?
  4. Armsoar Deviant (gorgeous but twice the price of the Dart)

I see that the Mini Dart 2 is available from Hyperflight in glass-layup only at the moment, and it's selling out fast. The price point is incredible, and I keep nearly buying it, on the one and only Mini Dart 2 thread here there were some concerning comments on quality.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the glass layup wing option? It's much cheaper than the CF option and seems to weigh about 30g more than the standard CF layup. Would this be a flying brick? Too many compromises with a 1M small wing and glass fibre as well? Should I just save up for a fully carbon option of the Mini Dart 2, or a Malibu instead?

I look forward to your general opinions.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2021, 11:36 AM
As Mr HyperFlight I am probably biased but I am very impressed with the Mini Dart 2. I don't think the glass version is too heavy and I have already had two repeat orders, where a customer brought a MD2, liked it and got their buddy to buy one too.

Neil.
https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/produc...ode=MINI-DART2
May 01, 2021, 01:34 PM
I just recently purchased a Mini Dart 2 in the glass layup and so far it looks well made. I don't have it flying yet because I'm waiting on servos. The nose has enough room for radio gear, but, it is not tall so either look for short servos or plan to mount them horizontally.

Also, I looked at the thread about the Mini Dart and that looked to be about the previous version. The new version has a different fuse and is setup for 4 servos in the pod.

I'll post another reply once I get it flying.
May 01, 2021, 01:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_rc
I just recently purchased a Mini Dart 2 in the glass layup and so far it looks well made. I don't have it flying yet because I'm waiting on servos. The nose has enough room for radio gear, but, it is not tall so either look for short servos or plan to mount them horizontally.

Also, I looked at the thread about the Mini Dart and that looked to be about the previous version. The new version has a different fuse and is setup for 4 servos in the pod.

I'll post another reply once I get it flying.
Please do share your thoughts as you get more familiar with it. The cost of the glass layup is just so attractive. If only shipping were less of a strain coming into Canada!

Neil, Thank you for sharing your opinions. I suppose you do handle more of these than most people!
May 03, 2021, 07:50 AM
Thread OP
Iím surprised to hear so little about this plane here; does nobody else own one? They seem to sell like hot cakes, so where are they all going??
May 05, 2021, 12:04 PM
left, left, oh, my other left!
subscribed. I've been looking for a 1M DLG with ailerons. Options out there are extremely limited in this space. Following closely. Thanks
May 06, 2021, 02:55 PM
DS Junkie
Spotted some videos of the plane on youtube. Not so helpful as they mostly show it zipping around doing acro. I'd be more interested in how it circles and climbs. Stock at HyperFlight is going fast though!
May 07, 2021, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
Iím waiting for my cheque for advertising this thing off the shelves, apparently!
May 11, 2021, 08:42 PM
Congratulations to all who bought one of these.

I got my carbon MD2 from AndrewSM directly, before HyperFlight started carrying them.

Andrew is great and of course, Neil Stainton/HF is the best and an absolute professional to do business with. HF offers amazingly fast fulfillment too.

My MD2 was built RTF by Andrew with KST X06 servos to drive wing surfaces and D47 type servos for tail surfaces. The nose is roomy (gigantic actually), such that the 300mAh 1S Lipo battery he included was located over the CG (59-60mm) in fuse with long power plug to reach 5g receiver in nose. The airframe construction feels strong, light and precise. It launches, soars and lands good. Easy to catch and ride thermals, and fast roll rate for having fun. Doesn't take much room in back of car, doesn't break the bank and a solid performer. I am not a hard launcher but even at 136g this one takes my hardest launch without worry.
May 12, 2021, 06:42 AM
Thread OP
Finally a real life testimonial! Thanks planekrazy. I ordered one of the glass MD2 from Neil last week so weíll see when it gets here to Canada. Iím going to try out ES9051 servos all around to start with. Iíve heard good things about those servos and theyíre 1/3 the price of those KST X06 beauties.

Iím disappointed to learn that none of the soarOTX programmes work on a modern OpenTX radio like a RM TX16s due to some complication with the colour screen, so Iíll be programming from scratch I guess. Thatís honestly the most intimidating part.
May 12, 2021, 12:39 PM
I haven’t checked with him but talk to Mike Shellim, he has now made a dlg template that claims to work with most opentx radios.

https://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/dlg/index.htm
May 12, 2021, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoverSail
Finally a real life testimonial! Thanks planekrazy. I ordered one of the glass MD2 from Neil last week so weíll see when it gets here to Canada. Iím going to try out ES9051 servos all around to start with. Iíve heard good things about those servos and theyíre 1/3 the price of those KST X06 beauties.

Iím disappointed to learn that none of the soarOTX programmes work on a modern OpenTX radio like a RM TX16s due to some complication with the colour screen, so Iíll be programming from scratch I guess. Thatís honestly the most intimidating part.
DoverSail, congrats on your new one from HyperFlight. Their shipments to me typically arrive between 6 to 8 days to west coast USA, so hopefully you will get your kit soon. The servos you are going with should work well and lighter so perhaps battery can end up in the nose and airframe will still be within recommended CG range. I am posting another photo of my fuse wing saddle opening/hatch where Andrew affixed the flight battery with doubled-side tape to bottom of fuse in between flaperon pushrod exits.

I have not used soarOTX programs or Mike's templates, nothing against them, basically I wanted to learn OpenTX and liked big color screen and gimbal feel of RM TX16S. I have been using the tranny for DLGs (and more) for almost a year and I love it. Switch quality has been great and OTX not hard to learn, especially with such good tutorials in YT videos. I created my own model programs from scratch and cloned as needed for newer models. Not even touched Companion. And so far 20 models with 7 DLGs in there now with RX telemetry battery call-outs and low-voltage alarms. I am definitely not some OTX guru but if you decide to create programs from scratch I would be happy to try and help if you get stuck somewhere where I may be able to actually help.
May 13, 2021, 01:32 AM
That’s true, I also created my own template a few times, you pick it up pretty quickly.

What helped me was mickeys Taranis for dlg pdf to easily create the virtual zoom mode and cancel brakes on launch.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35958132
May 13, 2021, 10:43 AM
Thread OP

Fibreglass MD2 Arrived

After less than a week, my Mini Dart 2 has arrived from Hyperflight.

The packaging was good and everything seems to be in good order.
I am still waiting on some ES9051 servos to arrive from a domestic source in Canada, but I hope to have this ready to fly before the May long weekend!

For now, Iím admiring the beautiful finish and the surprising light weight.

There is a bit of running on some of the graphics but I couldnít care less about that if I tried. It still looks great.
May 13, 2021, 11:22 AM
Mark, thanks for those great resources from both Mike on OpenTX and Mickey for Taranis. My primary goal was to first learn enough raw OTX to mimic mixes, controls, and switches I have been using for years with JR XP9303 (with FrSky module) to control larger heavier composite gliders. I am almost ready to slowly branch out and try to learn more advanced capabilities.

DoverSail, that is great news. Your new glass Mini Dart 2 looks fantastic. The bigger nose and wing chord make it easier to see in the sky than my other 1m DLGs. Good luck with the build.

Quick Reply