Apr 29, 2021, 08:54 PM
Thread OP
New Product

3D Printed Mechanical CG Balancer

Originally posted on the British Association of Radio Control Soarers forum where the original CG Balancer was found.

I have owned, build and used many styles of Center of Gravity devices over the years. I recently stumbled upon a picture of a mechanical CG Balancer on the British Association of Radio Control Soarers forum (BARCS - https://www.barcs.co.uk/ ) which was laser cut out of acrylic with etched and filled lettering. This was pure genius and had much more bling factor than the Digital Scales. It was as compact as a Digital Scale, required no batteries, calibration weights and could easily survive rolling around the back of my vehicle or a drop to the floor. Best of all I figured it had less than $20 worth of hardware.

I reached out to Neil Pritchett the designer of the CG Balancer to inquire if he would allow me to create a 3D Printed version as I do not have access to laser cutting equipment. Neil has graciously allowed me to share his design in a 3D printed format. The .stl files and assembly instructions provided are for personal non-commercial use only. Please reach out to Neil and thank him for sharing his design!

I built the CG Balancer with the following ideas in mind:

· Low cost.
· Easy to print using 1.75mm PLA filament.
· Self-aligning and simple to assemble.
· CG range of 30mm to 130mm
· Resolution of 0.1mm
· Can accommodate older balsa and fiberglass fuselages of up to 70mm wide X 70mm high.
· Compact, durable and easy to use.

Print, share and enjoy.

Kind Regards,
Dana E. Hager

AMA #4293
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2021, 06:47 AM
Very cool. And good people to share this. Thanks.
May 03, 2021, 01:09 PM
Dana,
This is cool. Thanks for sharing. By chance do you happen to have the stl's for each side as one piece?

Thanks,
Alan
May 04, 2021, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97
Dana,
This is cool. Thanks for sharing. By chance do you happen to have the stl's for each side as one piece?

Thanks,
Alan
Sorry the current version was created so that it would accommodate almost any printer bed size. I’ll make a note for future updates.

You could import the stl files into Tinkercad and group them together and export again if you really wanted to.

Kind Regards,
Dana
AMA #4293
May 04, 2021, 10:22 AM
Have not done that before. I will try.
Thanks,
May 08, 2021, 06:43 AM
Dana:
That's excellent! Good on you for sharing the files! You are to be commended! One question, I have a mini 3D printer with a 4.7" square bed.....could it print your files?

Cheers!
Lyle
May 12, 2021, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappyjkns
Dana:
That's excellent! Good on you for sharing the files! You are to be commended! One question, I have a mini 3D printer with a 4.7" square bed.....could it print your files?

Cheers!
Lyle
Sorry for the delay.

The side rails are 6.875" (174.6mm) long and 1.625" (41.3mm) wide. You would not be able to print those parts on a 4.7" bed. All other parts should be able to fit.

What printer are you using? I will look to see if I can add a puzzle joint to the rails so it could fit that bed size.

Kind Regards,
Dana E Hager

AMA #4293

Quick Reply