How To Watch the Live Feed - Top Gun 2021

Watch Top Gun 2021 LIVE with Horizon Hobby!

Splash

Top Gun 2021 - Watch It!

We are gearing up for Team Horizon to travel to Top Gun and bring us all the cool content from the event!

I will be creating features around the content from the show in this forum section, so keep an eye out here. I was on the phone with Horizon crew this morning. They will only be streaming to their Youtube channels.

If you miss the live show I will have all the great action here in features in this section. We have you covered both ways!

Here the links to the streams...

YouTube Links

Apr 27, 2021, 11:14 PM
Modeling Retread
Jim,

Do you know if they’re going to keep the show going in the evening and show highlights? The weather has been so crappy in Texas this spring if I can fly this weekend, that’s what I’ll be doing during the day.
Apr 28, 2021, 12:19 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
It sounds like they will have multiple people streaming. I didn't get info on the shooting schedule but I think they are going to get everything they can. I'll be keeping an eye on everything and on Monday I'll start rounding up all the videos and putting them into feature stories in this section.
May 04, 2021, 09:26 AM
Arrowhead
Really appreciate the HH gang streaming the goings-on. Didn't watch it live, but did watch a few hours last night. Wanted to provide some feedback for next year (and other events):

- First, there were a lot of audio issues. Volume from the guys in the booth was quite low. There was a fair bit of "off camera" conversations with tech crew that got picked up.

- A bit of a logistical "fail" in that Ali & Steve did not have a live feed from the camera. I think that got resolved later? On top of that there was no coordination/communication initially between the guys and the cameraperson. Both sides were essentially "flying blind" (heck, the day did start out with IFR weather ).

- The camera seemed to struggle with keeping focus on its target.

- Missed opportunities to talk about some of the planes on the ground, even when they were directly in front of the camera. One example is a red & silver parasol that was waiting to taxi, about the time Ali was away to fly the T-34. Would have liked to know what it was!

Overall, it seemed like the stream was a last minute decision, and a rush to get it happening. But despite any flaws, it was far better than no stream at all! With a bit of review & planning ahead for next year, I'm sure it'll only get better
May 04, 2021, 10:05 PM
Modeling Retread
I saw parts of the first day and most of the second day. It was obviously a learning experience but they did seem to learn as the event unfolded. Sunday was better than Saturday by quite a bit so I imagine they had a post event meeting on Saturday, a “half-time talk”, if you will.

Overall, I was pleased. The camera was good enough that the planes in flight weren’t just specks. They probably should have more cameras so they can catch interesting while the program focuses on a single plane. The Yak crash and explosion just seemed to stun them. No replay or slo-mo analysis.

Having to cut off the sound because of the music is a bummer but unless the event paid licensing fees to ASCAP or BMI they’re not supposed to use music either. Any kind of a money making endeavor is supposed to pay those fees.
May 04, 2021, 11:57 PM
Fortis Atque Fidelis
Thank you Horizon Hobby, RCGroups and all involved for the excellent live video coverage from those of us who could not be there. I hope this becomes an annual tradition.
May 05, 2021, 08:53 AM
I appreciate the effort and yes technical difficulties were there and we all learned a lot.
I would like to see a list of the award winners with their airplanes listed, I know most planes but not the pilots so its helpful to have them both posted together.

Sparky
May 05, 2021, 09:45 AM
Arrowhead
Yep, definitely appreciated, and my criticism is meant to be purely constructive.

A couple of additional thoughts:

- perhaps they did this at some point, but a trip through the pits/prep area during downtime would be nice. So we can see the models better and maybe get some discussion from the pilots & builders. Obviously it has to be done at a time when it’s not interfering. Maybe something pre-recorded that can be inserted during quiet times?

- not sure how to address this one... but guys, the F-16 is not a carrier aircraft
May 05, 2021, 10:52 AM
Modeling Retread
They did do some in depth interviews with pilots and planes but more would have been nice.

No, the F16 is not a carrier plane but they do carry arresting hooks for emergency landings and engine tests. Also, the Navy has (or had) some F16s for their Top Gun program
May 05, 2021, 10:59 AM
Arrowhead
Cool - I’ll have to scan thru the footage and check out the interviews.

The F-16 remark was in response to a comment during the coverage of that first F16 model’s flight.
May 05, 2021, 12:19 PM

cblackburn1099

@GRW3 with regards to the YAK mishap, we were told to cut away which is what we did.

We appreciate all the comments, yes we had a bunch of technical issues on saturday, not the least of these being other people just yanking the power cord in the booth to plug other stuff in

In all this was a learning experience on both sides and i think that overall it was a good experience for everyone.
May 05, 2021, 12:20 PM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
"not the least of these being other people just yanking the power cord in the booth to plug other stuff in "
I would have been wigging out!

Quick Reply