Working on it! Picked up some sheeting.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2021, 11:31 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Fuselage prep

Picked up some 1/32 sheeting from the local Train store. Doing some sheeting experiments and whether or not concealed elevator and rudder linkages will work. Glued the firewall on. Mocking up[ a few things to check fit.
Aug 08, 2021, 09:08 PM
Closed Account
I'd use internal linkage if you can. The smaller Corsair worked out well, as there was both ample room and the rudder hingeline is forward of the elevator hingeline which is ideal and not always the case. The light 1/32" sheeting was a good choice. Gotta sheet a Corsair fuse.
Aug 17, 2021, 09:34 AM
Morning Light Mountain
I built one of these WAYYYY back in the day. See pic, I'm 64 now LOL. It's the one on the bed, the one I'm holding is a 40 size Jemco. Used a Cannon Radio with micro servos, 2ch Aileron Elevator. I covered it it clear monokote and airbrushed it. With an OS 10 it flew wonderfully, but was not overpowered. Pretty sure I recall it weighing 26 ounces.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Aug 17, 2021, 10:58 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Nice Corsairs Bill! Hope I hit 26 oz or below. I'm stalled out on it again trying to cram end of summer stuff in...... Definitely looking at concealed linkage AA!
Aug 19, 2021, 09:14 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Adding some strength

As this is very delicate at this stage; I've sheathed the forward area with 1/32 balsa. Next is exploring the rear Stabilizers and associated surface controls. Also looking at the rear tail wheel pre install here.
Sep 15, 2021, 12:16 PM

Ive been following this thread .....

.....for a while, & l like what l see keep up the good work! Laramie.
Sep 15, 2021, 03:28 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Thanks Laramie, hope to be back on it soon!
Mar 16, 2022, 12:06 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Thinking about re-naming this build thread

To... "My longest Build"..... However... since I get slower by the day, better not use that name yet.....
Sorry guys, didn't get to work on this as much as I wanted over the winter.... Have done a few things to share

Looking at the cowl pieces; needed to see if my Sig-Ment would work and seemed to rather well. I needed to envision whether or not I can salvage the old 3 piece Cowl that came with the kit. Look back at the beginning if you need a refresh. Was in bad shape. Cut it a bit closer and glued it together. Molding defects are quite visible with old man eyeballs. No filling has been done yet. Using it means another level of "Stand Off Scale". I would like to use what I've got though. Still looking through Park Flyer Plastics cowls.

FLY IT!
Mar 16, 2022, 12:21 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Getting started on the Wing

Glued the Main Spar together and started test fitting the ribs and spars together. This kit is from the Die Cut era. However, you can tell Sterling needed to Sharpen or rework their dies when this kit was cut. Having to rework lots of slots that were not cut. Fun crushed spots in the ribs..... So far, this is the poorest shape of a Kit I've attempted to put together. I will have a sense of satisfaction if I can fly/crash it!
Mar 18, 2022, 06:08 PM
EB-66C Team Member
J - It's nice to see you back at it!

Best,
Tony
Mar 19, 2022, 09:53 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Twist and Turn????

Hi X ! If anyone noticed I didn't finish the Fuselage, Two reasons; I want to line up the Horizontal Stabilizer with the Main wing in place before finalizing angles and wanting to use retracts, need to see if any on the market are feasible.

This is the FMS 980mm/38" Wingspan P-40 with twist and turn retracts. One of the choices that gear are still available. HobbyKing had a set 29 grams each, that now might be unobtanium.... Might have snoozed on those.
Question for anyone???? This is 36" W.S. anyone know of any small twist and turn choices? I don't like the P-40 ones. Don't think I can make it have any scale like look with those.

Sky Raider, other Corsairs, Hellcats, P-40s, etc Anyone think of any that are still available? Stock is still decimated in the RC Aircraft Industry it still appears unfortunately.
The plane would need to be less than 40" W.S. to consider.
Mar 22, 2022, 01:19 AM
Suspended Account
I agree with what the other folks have said. No landing gear and go as light as possible. 1/2A models are at a disadvantage due to "reynolds numbers". A fancy scientific term that says that "air molecules are a fixed size and the density of which is based on the size of the 'thing' they are flowing over".

Its a contest that can't be won. Mother nature and all of that. Leave the landing gear, flaps, and whatever else you can leave behind, off of small models. They need to be as light as possible.

As for power, you can't go wrong with the NV .074. If you want a "hot little bomb" put in a TD .09. I did a few Guillows conversions of the 1000 series that way. Lots of fast, quick rolling fun! Though, tough, when the juice runs out and it's time to land.
Mar 25, 2022, 09:43 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Raoul, I'm not ignoring your comment. Trying to figure out how to respond without alienating anyone.
I guess the best thrill I can get from this plane is to see it with gear down and the flaps deployed looking at least standoff scale. From the front and back of the Corsair; this has always been a sight to behold for me! Looks like a beast! Or a hot chick in a skirt! Not sure which? If I can actually get the gear to semi scale retract with the flaps to come horizontal with the wing as it zips by a few times before I stuff it into the ground at 50 mph..... well, for me, that will be making a model! I'm stuck in WW II Fighter phantasy land for some time now......

I know it can be done. I may not have the necessary vision or skills and I should have picked retracts during the Heyday of availability, not done trying yet!

Personally, I feel the Norvel .074 is just not right for this plane. I have one and have put it up against the firewall several times. In fact, at the beginning of the thread, the fuselage was modified/final length cut to fit the .074. I have a used OS .10 and a brand new Magnum .10. However, heavy..... Notice all 3 have throttle. Not making anything without throttle.

Buy the way, S & H Engines/Mike goes flying has an allegedly very powerful throttled .074 that would be interesting to do a head to head prop comparison against the Norvel .074

I try to stay away from Horizon Hobby stuff due to economical reasons. They make some cool stuff but not affordable for my old man budget..... However, the small rotating retracts they have are still available, pushing $90 though (weight not listed and bad reviews)..... HobbyKing (29 grams each, good reviews, out of stock) push $15..... both have a depth of 21 mm.

May be wrong, I always thought Air Density changes, as does the Weather..... People have said Flaps are ineffective on "small" models. I don't agree with that. Those little molecules hitting my little plane deployed Flaps not only have proven effective to me but have looked cool as heck doing their thing! My now deceased HOB 6 Channel FW-190 with NV .074 and 8 tiny electric motors at 23.4 oz would float in quite docile. 23.4 oz. That's not heavy. I don't even attempt to land without full flaps anymore. I got too slow on the sticks. My small plane spot has a short carrier deck sized strip.

I know someone can build this 6 channel and a decent flyer. Yes, it may not be me......

Here's a great example to me of 1/2A Flap use. Crummy head cam video, sorry. Pay attention and see me try to chop my head off...... You can hear the wind and watch it land. FLOATING through the Dense Air that day.....This one is 6 Channel approx. 32 oz. Full Flaps deployed
Flaps are effective! Windy but P 47 Thunderbolt hovers in for a landing. (4 min 32 sec)

Full Flaps Deployed 6 Channel 23.4 oz. Very docile landing
FW-190A3 House of Balsa (1 min 59 sec)

Something to think about; all these old Vintage kits that flew with standard sized servos, big batteries, and large receivers, now fly with lite LiFe packs (300 mah) dinky servos, and tiny receivers. I drive my flaps with a single centered servo and have used a 4 gram servo for throttle a few times. You can't even see it....... without magnifying eyeballs!

I don't know how this is gonna end up. As I've become older and less brainy and man... Sloooowww..... it may take awhile. This kit has been breakage here, breakage there....etc. Please bare with me and maybe it will Fly/crash in a video for us! I'm not gonna get a piece of foamy and pretending it's real..... Nitro is the way to go! Yes, I have two Foamy Fighters....... The shame..... One other point, I don't like to land my Nitro stuff in grass without gear holding the nose/engine up. Too much junk gets in the engine compartments.
Mar 28, 2022, 01:38 PM
Small models that go like stink become hard to see. That's why old guys like larger models that can fly and land slower .

Quick Reply