Apr 24, 2021, 02:57 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Lambert Kolibri Turbines

What do you think about Kolibri turbines ?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2021, 02:20 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
They are in a class by them selves. Much smaller and lighter. I use them a lot and like them. How ever living in the states there are no service rep which causes problems.

But as for performance they are next level. Others may argue the other "small" engines work as well and well.... flying the two together I can literally fly figure eights around the others. It's just insane.

Talking EDF terms you take off with 12S power but only 8S weight. You have that 12S power for 10-12minutes and then land with 4S weight. It's unreal. Others you land at 8S weight and take off at 12S weight which really it too heavy for the size and type of planes usually used.

(And I won't comment more in this thread as it makes no sense arguing with those who have not flown side by side with my planes.)

Kolibri Turbine Avios Mig-17 (8 min 23 sec)
Apr 26, 2021, 03:21 AM
I agree that Kolibri turbines are a class of its own when looking at Kolibri engines up to the T35 which are the super light engines. Anything bigger than that, I would buy a Xicoy (or a KingTech).... in the 45/50N class the price difference is not justified if you ask me.

For foam planes Kolibri is ideal even for smaller diameter EDFs making them a fun to fly due to the weight while an X45 in an 80mm one is quite heavy in my mind

I have seen that prices seem to have come down a bit in comparison to some years before

(i have a T25 and a X45....so I can compare them)
Last edited by MarkusD; Apr 26, 2021 at 03:29 AM.
Apr 26, 2021, 09:53 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Hmm ��
Apr 26, 2021, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essence
Hmm ��
Means exactly what, please?
Jul 25, 2021, 12:16 PM
316mph FPV
Hey Guys. A quick question for Henke as he has helped me before! My T50 has started flaming out on fast throttle rise. If you open the throttle slowly, it goes to full throttle and stays there. If you go from idle to full quickly, it flames out. PW looks normal, can't see any bubbles forming, changed the fuel, same result. Any ideas?
Jul 25, 2021, 12:32 PM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Sounds like a needle in the fuel ring are clogged or getting clogged. Depending on your mechanical skills you can try to use the fuelpump(that refuel your plane) to suck via the fuel port, this to try to suck out any debris. Next level is to unscrew all electrical stuff from the engine, soak it in heated diesel/fuel and have the pump suck through the fuel port. This might also get the debris out.
Jul 26, 2021, 02:39 AM
316mph FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
Sounds like a needle in the fuel ring are clogged or getting clogged. Depending on your mechanical skills you can try to use the fuelpump(that refuel your plane) to suck via the fuel port, this to try to suck out any debris. Next level is to unscrew all electrical stuff from the engine, soak it in heated diesel/fuel and have the pump suck through the fuel port. This might also get the debris out.
Thanks Henke, not what I wanted to hear though haha! I will try your suggestion. I am guessing just sucking without it submerged is not that likely to work. Worth a try first though. Any special tools needed to dismantle or just the usual micro screwdrivers etc..?
Jul 26, 2021, 03:41 PM
316mph FPV
Henke, is it worth chucking some diesel injector cleaner in the mix for drawing back through the nozzles? Thought it might help.. Also anything to be especially careful of when dismantling?
Aug 01, 2021, 05:45 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGOOLIEBIRD
Henke, is it worth chucking some diesel injector cleaner in the mix for drawing back through the nozzles? Thought it might help.. Also anything to be especially careful of when dismantling?
Don't know the power of these injector cleaners.
Aug 01, 2021, 06:48 AM
316mph FPV
It didn't work. I ran it on a pump under near boiling kerosene for half an hour with injector cleaner in there. Cleaned and reassembled, and exactly the same result. Flame out on fast throttle. Back to Germany then?

Are there any other potential causes within the fuel system?
Aug 02, 2021, 02:30 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGOOLIEBIRD
It didn't work. I ran it on a pump under near boiling kerosene for half an hour with injector cleaner in there. Cleaned and reassembled, and exactly the same result. Flame out on fast throttle. Back to Germany then?

Are there any other potential causes within the fuel system?
check for leaks. Remove everything and run the engine on only pump + lines no nothing extra in between to evaluate
Aug 08, 2021, 11:02 AM
316mph FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
check for leaks. Remove everything and run the engine on only pump + lines no nothing extra in between to evaluate
Hi Henke, I have just tried that. Fuel bottle, pump and engine, nothing else. Same result. So it has to be sent for service then...

It is a shame as it has only about 2 hrs runtime, always had a filter, and I always purge the fuel lines before running. It has been sat around for a couple of years though..could that cause it?
Aug 14, 2021, 09:18 AM
316mph FPV
I phoned Lambert turbines, and Martin himself answered the call. He spoke very good English and was most helpful. I also emailed him the details, which he answered the next day. I have to send the engine to him for assesment, then he will give me a price for servicing it.

Quick Reply