Jun 15, 2021, 06:53 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by USKP01261
Hey Manolo, I have learned so much from reading through this build log tonight - I'm hooked. Thanks for sharing your build! Great idea about using dental floss to on the servo connectors! - I have not seen that before. Also hair dryer gun trick on the fiberglass fuse and vaseline on the hinge points - so many good tidbits. I guess I need to go get some building supplies by raiding the bathroom, haha

-KP
Hi KP... tx so much for those kindly words and support... really apreciated. Love to shime all those little tricks or tips learned with time in the hobby from other modellers that run the way before me and some, very little of my own.. no doubt bathrooom is a good source of tools.. and donīt ask me how I know the vaseline trick.. one day will show how to use the vacuum home cleaner to a better covering..
Manolo.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2021, 07:00 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
And said that to the buddies let me shime some advance pics of the built.. Basic sailplane framing is done but before going to final sanding step we must continue working in those little details that want to do before the covering process... for secure the canopy hatch to the fuse we discarded the way shown in plans and went to a more reliable and modern option with two strong rare earth magnets in the back side and a carbon rod expoxied into the canopy and bend itself to inter into the front are of the glass fuse..also for a better looks and less drag we are going to filling with balsa scraps the open area in both sides of the fin in the stab mount..
Jun 15, 2021, 08:48 AM
With that section and the wing plan form you you can get back to around 40%. After that it will be a terrible feeling. Start with the factory CG and tape weight on the tail to see what you like.
Jun 15, 2021, 06:27 PM
Can we see a picture of your hatch magnetic set up?
Jun 16, 2021, 05:40 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kindrick
With that section and the wing plan form you you can get back to around 40%. After that it will be a terrible feeling. Start with the factory CG and tape weight on the tail to see what you like.
Tx so much for the tip bud..will start as called in plans and little by little will move to a more rearward but still confortable...perhaps itīs possible to remove some of the added two onzes of weigh...put removable near the motor so itīs very easy to removing them..check wing and plans and have a margin to 1ī5 cm. till reach the 40 percent..
Jun 16, 2021, 05:41 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
Can we see a picture of your hatch magnetic set up?
Yeeeeap....
Jun 16, 2021, 05:45 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
And said that to friends let us shime more advances of the Legend built.. After filling with balsa scraps the holes in both sides of the fin in the stab mount ply plate now the stab mount matches better the fin profile, by the way we cut and sanded flush to the fin sides the nyrod tubing that we installed in the fuse rudder cable exits holes...
Jun 16, 2021, 05:48 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Check after the last step the alignement between fin-horizontal stab-fuse and wing and need again tha must to sand a little bit, not much the fin stab base for a truer alignement.. just a few passes with the sanding block and this time we were very agree with that..
Jun 17, 2021, 06:09 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Once that we were agree with the fit of the horizontal stab and fin letīs go working in the canopy hatch.. for matching both magnets one into a tray in the fuse and anohter epoxied in the own hatch we traced a lines with a non permanent sharpie that will help in positoning the magnets.
Jun 17, 2021, 06:16 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
For a better epoxy grip we did a rough sanding in the sides of the magnets and cleaned very well with alcohol..did a sort of wooden tray for the fuse magnets that we will glue in the ply bulkhead..use a good cord of epoxy around the magnets but try not smear any epoxy into the matching faces of the magnets..
Jun 18, 2021, 04:11 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
The magnet fuse tray is carefully aligned with the marks that we traced and epoxied to the bulkead..added some triangles of reinforcement but care was done not close the wing pin rod hole..at this stage we begin to desing a fuse and wing storing and transport bags so lovely wife Anita may does for us her amazing storing wing and fuse cloth bags..
Jun 18, 2021, 04:13 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
One of the last but time consuming single piece is the fairing of the wing mounting bolt.. it provides a more clean, aerodinamical fit between wing and upper side of fuse..we cut from 1/4 light balsa..
Jun 19, 2021, 11:40 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Instructions call for covering the fairing separated from the wing but we choosed to glue it permanently after installing again the wing and check the fit of the piece.
Jun 19, 2021, 11:45 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Once that we finished the bolt fairing itīs time to finish also the mod that we did in the wing tips. If you remember we didnīt installed the called tip blocks but choosed to do a built wing tips that enlarge the wing span to a full 118 inches; ( 3mts. ) and cut saw a light 3mm.ply.. now we will install some scrap blocks in the LE and other ones in the center that will serve to strengh a little bit the area and a smooth covering.. will add also colored balsa filler to the dihedral breaks, bolt fairing and others to smooth the finish and achieve when covering what we like to call as cars and choopers bodyworks a " candy finish ".
Jun 19, 2021, 05:54 PM
Those tip extensions look really nice.

Quick Reply