Sep 21, 2021, 06:54 PM
One guy who survived because he wasn't wearing a seat belt, being thrown clear of a crashing car that later exploded -

doesn't outweigh ten who were killed by blunt force trauma when they hit the dashboard or steering wheel.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2021, 07:51 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by outngo
One situation where FPV view helped me out big time.

I'd like to add to this, was out flying my quad in a small field in the woods this summer (you cannot see horizon as trees block from all sides) and spotted a hot air balloon a couple miles away heading over my flying area looking onto the FPV view and quickly landed. It later passed about 170ft above my flying spot. They don't have ads-b so there was no way of knowing where it was heading and it was silent. You see where this is beneficial?
I see where you are coming from, but over the years I have had a number of hot air balloons enter the airspace of my RC flying site, including coming up from behind me.

In every case, any that were below 500 feet or so announced their arrival with the sound of the gas burners, audible from a goods ways off.

I have been surprised by very low flying aircraft 2-3 times while flying RC. Not a lot you can do when a small aircraft pops up over the trees and flys by at about 100 ft high. I dodged away from the flight path as needed. No close calls. (Close being defined as less than 150-200 feet separation between model and full scale aircraft.)
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Sep 25, 2021, 08:28 AM
E-Gliders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
I see where you are coming from, but over the years I have had a number of hot air balloons enter the airspace of my RC flying site, including coming up from behind me.

In every case, any that were below 500 feet or so announced their arrival with the sound of the gas burners, audible from a goods ways off.

I have been surprised by very low flying aircraft 2-3 times while flying RC. Not a lot you can do when a small aircraft pops up over the trees and flys by at about 100 ft high. I dodged away from the flight path as needed. No close calls. (Close being defined as less than 150-200 feet separation between model and full scale aircraft.)
No they don't always fire up the burners, this one did only overhead. Again saved by FPV. FPV allowed me plenty of time to land as I saw the dot getting bigger in my FPV screen. No way could I have landed that quickly without the use of FPV
Sep 26, 2021, 06:43 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
No they don't always fire up the burners, this one did only overhead. Again saved by FPV. FPV allowed me plenty of time to land as I saw the dot getting bigger in my FPV screen. No way could I have landed that quickly without the use of FPV
"Saved" ?

Mike
Sep 26, 2021, 10:14 AM
Jeez, being "surprised" by a low-flying hot-air balloon while flying in a location surrounded by tall trees? We are sure getting off into the weeds with the "oddball" cases here!
Sep 26, 2021, 05:51 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
Jeez, being "surprised" by a low-flying hot-air balloon while flying in a location surrounded by tall trees? We are sure getting off into the weeds with the "oddball" cases here!
lol true that! I've been fpv'ing 11~12 years and I'm sorry, I just can't agree that fpv is going to save you from full scale aviation- whether it be GA or balloons. Fpv is great when flying close to objects and formation/chasing another rc plane or whatever, other than that, no. Just my 2 cents worth.
Sep 27, 2021, 11:54 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
If they donít fire up the burners, they donít stay in the air all that long. They donít like landing in the US Army Corps of Engineers property where our field is.

In 50 years of flying RC, there have been zero times that FPV could have given me any extra warning that could have made a situation safer.
Sep 28, 2021, 09:13 AM
Another reason you need fpv to fly safely is that when you are flying los, you are continually looking basically in one direction, or at least in one hemisphere, i,e. forward of the "flightline", not behind you. Someone might sneak up and steal your gear that you have laid out in the pit area. They might even steal your car if you've left it running to charge batteries. Then they might go out and get in a wreck and hurt someone, because people who steal usually aren't very safe drivers, and often are on meth. Or some dog that escaped from the dog-walking park might run up and bite you from behind. Dog bites are dangerous, especially if rabies is involved, or if the dog is very large, or a pit bull. None of that will happen if you are flying fpv because you can check back at the area on the ground around you now and then so your overall situational awareness for your personal safety is much higher.

Anyway, I definitely agree with the earlier suggestion, that all rc flying sites should be required to have a model being flown fpv in a continual "combat air patrol" orbit well above treetop height at all times that anyone is flying los, to watch for silently approaching full-scale aircraft, especially those coming from the back side of the flight line.
Last edited by aeronaut999; Sep 28, 2021 at 09:23 AM.
Sep 28, 2021, 09:31 AM
Recreational Model Plane Pilot
Quote:
another reason you need fpv to fly safely is that when you are flying los, you are continually looking basically in one direction, or at least in one hemisphere, i,e. Forward of the "flightline", not behind you. Someone might sneak up and steal your gear that you have laid out in the pit area. They might even steal your car if you've left it running to charge batteries. Then they might go out and get in a wreck and hurt someone, because people who steal usually aren't very safe drivers, and often are on meth. Or some dog that escaped from the dog-walking park might run up and bite you from behind. Dog bites are dangerous, especially if rabies is involved, or if the dog is very large, or a pit bull. None of that will happen if you are flying fpv because you can check back at the area on the ground around you now and then so your overall situational awareness for your personal safety is much higher.

Anyway, i definitely agree with the earlier suggestion, that all rc flying sites should be required to have a model being flown fpv in a continual "combat air patrol" orbit well above treetop height at all times that anyone is flying los, to watch for silently approaching full-scale aircraft, especially those coming from the back side of the flight line.

Sep 28, 2021, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Anyway, I definitely agree with the earlier suggestion, that all rc flying sites should be required to have a model being flown fpv in a continual "combat air patrol" orbit well above treetop height at all times that anyone is flying los, to watch for silently approaching full-scale aircraft, especially those coming from the back side of the flight line.
Naaaah - Send up a quadcopter with four cameras staring at each of the four cardinal directions.

Or a tethered "observation balloon"...
Sep 28, 2021, 01:33 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
Quote:
Another reason you need fpv to fly safely is that when you are flying los, you are continually looking basically in one direction, or at least in one hemisphere, i,e. forward of the "flightline", not behind you. Someone might sneak up and steal your gear that you have laid out in the pit area. They might even steal your car if you've left it running to charge batteries. Then they might go out and get in a wreck and hurt someone, because people who steal usually aren't very safe drivers, and often are on meth. Or some dog that escaped from the dog-walking park might run up and bite you from behind. Dog bites are dangerous, especially if rabies is involved, or if the dog is very large, or a pit bull. None of that will happen if you are flying fpv because you can check back at the area on the ground around you now and then so your overall situational awareness for your personal safety is much higher.

clutch at straws much, do you?
Sep 28, 2021, 04:08 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo
clutch at straws much, do you?
That was a satirical post.
Sep 28, 2021, 04:50 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Satirically comical
Sep 28, 2021, 04:59 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
Quote:
and a sarcastic response was not fitting???
Sep 28, 2021, 06:27 PM
In my opinion, aeronaut's post is probably the most intelligent one on this entire thread!

Quick Reply