Apr 19, 2021, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

My First DLG

Hello all. I finally took the plunge and decide to purchase my first DLG. Thanks to Jeffmete here on the forums for the awesome bird! I plan to use this thread to document the success or failure of my experience getting this thing in the air for the first time, and also my progression learning to fly it. I am hopping for suggestions as I make my way through this. This plane came without any electronics, so I went ahead and purchased the servos from Banggood based on recommendations, I will post a link to them below. I am still trying to decide if I want to go the spring/string method or pushrods. For the receiver, I am planning on using a Spektrum AR6610T, but I am not sure if I should step up to something with a gyro. I will be using a Spektrum DX9 for the transmitter. The main issue I see so far is simply figuring out how to fit everything in the nose!

https://usa.banggood.com/6PCS-JX-Ser...r_warehouse=CN
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2021, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
So the first step is to build something so I can work on this beast safely. I am going to have to wait a while for the servos to show up, so I figure I will do this type of prep work first. Here is what I came up with.
Apr 19, 2021, 10:14 AM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by loppydog View Post
For the receiver, I am planning on using a Spektrum AR6610T, but I am not sure if I should step up to something with a gyro.
I'm not aware of many folks using a stability receiver in a DLG. It could work great for all I know, I just don't know of anyone doing it. You probably know this, and you have the right kind of receiver, but if that fuselage is all carbon as it looks like you will need to poke the ends (they are about 30 mm) of the antennas out of the fuselage. If you can try to get the antennas at 90 degrees to each other. A lot of us have the antennas coming out of the pod at 45 degree angles to the fuselage sides to accomplish that.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Apr 19, 2021, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Ryan. Yes the fuse is all carbon. There is already a hole for the antenna on one side. But my receiver will likely have two antenna. Should I poke a hole on the other side as well?
Apr 19, 2021, 10:33 AM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Quote:
Thanks Ryan. Yes the fuse is all carbon. There is already a hole for the antenna on one side. But my receiver will likely have two antenna. Should I poke a hole on the other side as well?
Yes you should poke both antennas out of the fuselage. Some folks call fuselages with 2 antennas poking out "catfish" since it looks like the front of a catfish. If you can also try to keep the antennas away from the wing since its carbon too. You just need to make sure that in flight the wing can't come between line of sight to one of the antennas.

Ryan
Apr 19, 2021, 11:15 AM
Thread OP
That makes sense. I’ll get all that done once I get my receiver and can fit it properly.
Apr 19, 2021, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the world of handlaunch. FYI on the servo selection. The absolute most important thing to consider when choosing servos for a glider after size is precision. You want almost zero deadband and great centering or you will never get the aircraft trimmed consistently. I hope those ultra cheap servos will work better than most cheap servos. At least consider buying a good servo for the elevator, the most important trim for detecting lift.
Apr 19, 2021, 05:08 PM
I personally wouldn’t use anything less than kst x08 on all surfaces. Cheap servos you’ll be chasing temp drift and double centering.

Go for the 6610T great RX that I ran in my own planes.

You might get more exposure if you post in the dedicated hand launch thread too.
Apr 19, 2021, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Maybe the mods could move it for me. As for the servos, I guess I’ll wait for them to come in and see if they are good or bad. Is it common for servos in this size to all be pretty much the same in dimensions? In other words, if I figure out how to get these cheaper servos in and don’t like them, will the better ones be a direct replacement?
Apr 19, 2021, 05:32 PM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Quote:
Is it common for servos in this size to all be pretty much the same in dimensions? In other words, if I figure out how to get these cheaper servos in and don’t like them, will the better ones be a direct replacement?
They might be similar sized but they are probably not the exact same. You should post the specific servos you ordered. It is possible that some other people have experience with those servos in a DLG.

Ryan
Apr 19, 2021, 06:14 PM
Congrats on your bird! There are four distinct phases to your first DLG, and I'm right there too.

First getting a good light build.
Second, understanding your radio and DLG profile so that you know how to set the radio up.
Third, getting your plane trimmed out. GT has a GREAT thread on this in the handlaunch forum
Fourth, learning to throw and fly your DLG.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Fly 'em if you got 'em, Fran
Apr 19, 2021, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
They might be similar sized but they are probably not the exact same. You should post the specific servos you ordered. It is possible that some other people have experience with those servos in a DLG.

Ryan
It’s hard to see, but there is a Banggood link In my first post.
Apr 19, 2021, 08:11 PM
Thread OP
Alright, you guys talked me into it...I'll snag 4 of the KST X08's. I would assume flange-less is the way to go? Is there a good place to buy them online to save a few bucks?
Apr 19, 2021, 08:33 PM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Quote:
Alright, you guys talked me into it...I'll snag 4 of the KST X08's. I would assume flange-less is the way to go? Is there a good place to buy them online to save a few bucks?
Armsoar has them on sale:

https://armsoarusa.com

You may want the ones with lugs depending on how you are going to install them. If you are going to put a servo tray in the model then you might want the lugs. If your plan is to glue them into the wing or lay them on their side and glue them to the bottom of the fuselage then you might not want them.

Ryan
Apr 19, 2021, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
I know for sure they won’t go in the wings. Otherwise I have no idea how to squeeze them into the fuse. I need the servos to see how they fit, but I’ll have to order one kind or the other. Kind of a pickle. I have a laser cutter, so I would love to create a servo tray. But I bet I won’t have the room to do anything like that.

Quick Reply