Apr 20, 2021, 04:03 AM
Attending a local club field, not sure how to get started in RC. A club member said to me "when are you going to have a go."
K Mart store were selling a 2 meter electric glider,thats when the bug bit,there is no known cure for this disease.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2021, 04:37 AM
Never fly straight and level!
Took rc up two years ago. I retired early and found the cost of keeping up my private pilots licence prohibitive so got interested in rc planes. Broke a few but got better.....now I most enjoy flying ww2 warbirds and jets, doing aerobatics is what floats my boat. Amassed 17 planes to date - mostly ww2 planes re-schemed to ww2 aces schemes. Loving it.
Cheers
Geoff
Apr 20, 2021, 04:39 AM
My fist "models" I built from the covers of exercise books, schaschlik sticks and yarn. The better ones had gliding numbers of even 5.
When my pocket money allowed it I bought some balsa wood and built free flying gliders.
And then I scratched all the money from the corners and bought a used RC.
27 MHz, receiver 60 g, two servos 20 g each and a battery 80 g.
More gliders but more than gliding down teh sloped meadow wasn't in it.
And then I got two motors. An 0,8 ccm Cox and an 0,9 ccm Taifun Diesel. Both totally worn out.
I refurbished them (the Taifun with a glow plug). But both weren't able to dirve a model with these heavy RC components in it.
So I built a double Cox (flat twin) from the scratch.
And this motor made the first motorized flights possible.
And with this bird I learnt to controll a model airplane.

After a longer pause I steped into model airplanes again when brushless motors, light RC equipment and LiPos became available (2006).
Apr 20, 2021, 09:04 AM

my rc story (in progress)

on my 13th birthday, I got an RC plane with a little 15" wing. the maiden my dad flew he crashed then I flew and I felt that I could do anything I landed it perfectly. then my dad took over again and once again he crashed and gave up. so I challenged myself to a STOL competition my record was 2.5 inches then this February I got a radio and I am building my first rc plane
Apr 20, 2021, 09:44 AM
Retired US Navy
My dad was into model ships, took years to build each to museum quality. He was career USAF so I grew up around airplanes but he had little interest in model planes. When I was very young, 4 or 5 he started buying, and helping me build, plastic car kits. When I was 7, 1963, we moved to Uruguay. There I got to play in some B-25's that we "gave" to the Uruguayan Air Force but they abandoned. The Mission also had a C-47 we got to fly in all around South America so I got into planes more and more. On a trip to Panama my dad picked up a stick and tissue kit and that started my model airplane trip. Cox power free flight came when I was about 8 and control line soon after. When we returned to the states we were at Scott AFB and I saw RC for the first time. I was hooked and though I didn't have money as a 10 year old for the radio gear started to learn to fly. We then moved to Merritt Island Fl and i flew with a club in Titusville and at the local schools. After dropping out of College I moved to Japan for a year and taught english, no flying , but when I returned I joined the Navy and have been very active ever since. I got heavy into slope in the later 1970's, 76-79 while stationed in Japan and also flew my first RC helos then. While in the military I was stationed at places where it was either hard to get glow or I just couldn't fly. Off and on I also flew a lot of C/L combat... It's been a fun ride.

Got to go fly, later!
Apr 20, 2021, 11:39 AM
Somewhat surprised by all the military experience members have had...or exposed to. But in the end, it's not unexpected. There was always plenty of open space on military bases and it was a hobby that tends to lend itself well to transient communities.

I grew up on bases across the US and Panama...RC was always an expensive hobby, but far out of reach. In Panama, my dad bought a Cox control line PT-19, that didn't go too well. I got so dizzy. He and my uncle kept at it and built a few balsa control line planes. Years later, we got the Cox Sky-Copter. So excited as we took it to a local elementary school for the maiden flight. That took off and never came back.

Finally, about 20 years ago, my dad's health was failing. I bought him an RC plane & radio from Tower Hobbies, prices had come down to something I could afford (full time college student). The look of joy and amazement on his face as he opened the box Christmas morning...a powerful memory. While I was back at school, he ran into challenges with the kit. Sadly, he died before he could ever see it fly.

I started flying soon after my son was born. I wanted to share my love of flight with him. We did the micro's for a while, but it's not quite his thing. Instead we go to regional airshows. Many great road trips to Reading, Geneseo, Rochester, Chicopee and Quonset Point.

Myself, I've got micros, warbirds, VTOL's, quads and helicopters. It's a bug I've had since a child and can finally fulfill my dreams of flight.

I still have that old kit put away in a closet...unfinished. Maybe this year will be the year I get it put together.
Apr 20, 2021, 01:59 PM

Bad Back Surgery

I was a private pilot but because of failed back surgery (6 times) and some cardiac problems I lost my license. So what's a fellow to do if he can't get his aviation fix? Well the answer is so obvious, IT'S RC BABY! I have an old Sportsman S+ and it is some what satisfiying, but not like the real thing. After I get proficient I may try FPV. What's so great with RC is that the physics are very much like the real thing. The controls are like the real thing. One issue I am having with my trainer is when it's coming tword you. But I am told that is a common issue at first.
Apr 20, 2021, 02:06 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Back in 1980 I got ahold of an R/C model magazine, and was infatuated with the idea of an R/C glider. I had many foam hand tossed gliders you saw at the fairs back then, and thought "it would be great to be able to control it." I told my parents (I was 12 at the time) that I really wanted one. Well in 1980 radios were stupid expensive for a lower middle class family to buy for a 12 year old. In an odd twist of fate, 2 weeks later my mother got a new job. She was the newest engineer at a company named Kraft, they made radios for R/C. She talked to one of the other engineers and he set us up with a Bridi Soar Birdy and a brand new 2 channel, straight off the line. My father and I built it in a couple weeks and with a basic lesson consisting of this is left, right, up, down, don't let it slow down too much and keep the nose up in the turns, we were off to a big hill. My first real flight lasted 20 minutes and ended with a controlled "crash" into the softest bush we could find. No damage, and that was my new SOP. Never did get any lessons until I started full scale flying. I also flew with a guy named Mark Smith, but he was starting to get into ultralights by the late eighties so he was scarce around the flying fields. I did build several models I received from him directly as well.
Apr 20, 2021, 02:44 PM
Slow is the go!
My obsession is broader than just rc, love of the history is what really got me into it!

My late Dad was a bit obsessed with WWII fighter pilots from my home country, New Zealand,
“Cobber Kain” WWII’s first ace, Alan Deere, a famous Battle of Britain pilot who escaped nine
wrecked Spitfires. So I guess you could say hero’s of my Dad’s became my hero's.

One day he came home and told me he had got tickets to the premier screening of the famous
1969 British film the Battle of Britain. Walked out of that picture theatre fully hooked, been into
Warbirds and anything else that flies since that day.

Have been fortunate to make some great mates in the warbird flying and restoration game in
Australia. While I have done a lot of flying never had the inkling to learn to fly but into RC for
the best part of the last thirty years. First plane a three channel GWS Cub, nicad powered.

Been many highlights to my obsession, from meeting Chuck Yeager to attending the Flying
Legends airshow on the other side of the world at Duxford where a lot of the Battle of Britain
was filmed!

Sorry it's a bit of a once upon a time blabber......
Apr 20, 2021, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Around 1985 my dad called me on the phone and told me he was building an RC Gentle Lady glider , and when he was finished he wanted me to fly it . Three months later he was finished and I flew it at a local park that had a nice grass covered slope , it only needed a couple of clicks of up elevator trim .... then it flew perfect .
Love my Gentle Lady especially when there's no wind at the Torrey pines Gliderport: I can still fly!
Apr 20, 2021, 04:42 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Cox 049 control line airplane (can't remember what model it was) Given to me as an Xmas gift from my dad.. Went to a supermarket parking lot on a Sunday and flew it into my moms leg giving her a deep cut with the prop. There were no more planes allowed in the house however Estes model rockets were o.k. so I had a bunch of those
Apr 20, 2021, 06:50 PM
I think I was born with the aviation bug, or inherited it from my father, who had a private ticket and had made some 8mm home movies from that time before he had a family and could afford to rent a J-3 Cub once in a while. Anyway, I've always had an interest in aviation. When I was three my Dad dug deep into his pockets and came up with the money to buy a stamped metal model of a four-engine airliner (DC-6 maybe, this was 1953) and I was disappointed that it wouldn't fly around the living room. There is an 8mm movie clip of that model in the kitchen trash can where this ungrateful little runt put it because it wouldn't fly. Presumably they donated it to someone more appreciative, I don't remember ever seeing it after that.

My first model airplane was a Jim Walker control line Firebaby at age five with an .049 engine but I don't remember the maker of the engine. I do remember the metal propeller. That did not end well, as was the usual case with engine-powered models in those days. I do remember "whipping" it around in the back yard and somewhat getting a feel for it but never flew that model successfully. I did later successfully fly a .35 control line model at about age 13 or so but soon after that I found out about girls and cars. I did take my first flying lessons at age 15 with lawn mowing money but that was just not sustainable and I didn't get my private license until age 25 in 1975. Up until then R/C was one of those things that I knew existed, but it was one of those things "for rich people" plus I thought you had to practically be an electrical engineer to be able to build the radio from a kit so I never looked into it. Suffice it to say that I was not and am not engineer material.

In 1982 on a trip to Boston, MA with my soon-to-be-ex-wife (but I didn't know it then) I bought a book about R/C airplanes and found out that R/C was actually doable by mere mortals and a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering was not needed. One could say it was my early version of "Plug and Play". I wanted to get into the hobby then but couldn't because we never had any money (and when I refused to borrow more she left) and suddenly I had just barely enough to afford a Goldberg Eagle 63, a K&B .40 engine, and a Futaba six-channel radio set and I was off to the races.
Apr 20, 2021, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBumpkins
Love my Gentle Lady especially when there's no wind at the Torrey pines Gliderport: I can still fly!
I worked right down the road , I used to watch the live camera and when the wind came up I would reschedule my day and fly for a couple hours at lunch. The GL is such an awesome glider.
Apr 21, 2021, 07:03 AM
Saw a RC plane in a golf course near our place way back in 1973. I was just 12 years old then. As I remember, it was an Ugly Stik controlled by a Kraft radio. I recall it did not have any muffler and the noise was really irritating to the ears and the fumes was also not as pleasant. I enjoyed watching the guy doing all the manuevers - rolls, loops, stall turns, etc. I asked my Dad if we can buy one and the answer was an automatic no.

I started with the less costly control line planes instead like Cox PT109, Me109, Stuka and small Cox 049 powered balsa planes which were popular at school then. There was also a nice Hobbyshop in Manila which carried balsa kits, Midwest balsa and Pactra dopes and paints but no radios or electronics. We can even buy airplane kits and parts at the toy section in some dept. stores and believe it or not even drugstores with toy sections had airplane kits. But then again no radios. All these were in the 70s. New flyers nowadays could not believe what we old flyers had then.

My first venture in RC was in 1978 when my dad was posted in Munich, (West) Germany and saw a lot of hobby shops and toy stores which carried RC planes and radios. I asked my dad if we can buy a RC plane and he said of course yahoo!!! My first radio was a 4 channel Graupner Varioprop on 27mhz FM with a gigantic receiver and linear servos! First rc plane was a Graupner Dandy sailplane.
Apr 21, 2021, 09:10 AM
I got into rc when I was younger but mostly just cars and a few boats. My neighbor had a trainer and he was building a cub. He and my dad went out one day to try and fly the trainer(both had actual private pilot licenses). He had a successful take off followed immediately by a not so successful landing. After seeing the wreckage I decided planes would never be for me. Fast forward 20 years and I now work less than a mile from the local field and I can watch some of the bigger planes fly over the trees from the shop I work at. I lost my mom in Dec 2019 and decided maybe rc planes would be something dad and I could do to take our minds off other things. I found a guy selling a few used ones on Fbook and decided to give it a try. Dad couldnít care less but Iíve been having a lot of fun and I work with someone that also flys RC so I have learned a lot from him. Iíve picked up a few more planes and we fly almost every weekend and some days at lunch.

Quick Reply