What's Your RC Origin Story?

What got your into flying RC Airplanes? Share your story here.

Splash

Who or What Got You Started Flying RC?

I thought it would be fun to hear some stories about how you got started flying RC airplanes. Please use this thread to tell us your RC origin story.

For me, I think it all started back when I lived in Florida as a kid on 40 acres. I can remember going out and throwing boomerangs, small wooden gliders and the foamie chuck gliders from walmart. Things that flew in the air had a special place in my heart. I remember my dad even had a Cox .049 powered control line plane. I didn't know RC planes existed yet, but I did enjoy driving RC cars and trucks back then along with playing video games.

I didn't find out about RC airplanes until my college years when I walked into a local hobby shop and from that moment on, I've been hooked. I started doing research because we finally had this new thing called the internet. My dad found out about some guys flying sailplanes off the Blue Ridge parkway so we went out to watch and soon after I had my first real plane, a Great Planes Spirit 2M glider. The rest is history and its now been more than 20 years flying model airplanes for fun and as a career. That's my story, I can't wait to hear yours.

Apr 19, 2021, 09:22 AM

My dad

Made the mistake of getting me an airplane ride when i was about 9 yrs old and then took me to a model airplane club. That Christmas we got our first SIG Cub. Of course, when went to maiden it in the field behind us, the battery came loose and threw off the cg. After the resulting crash, we rebuilt and joined a bearby club, I've been hooked ever since.
Apr 19, 2021, 09:31 AM
Site Aspie
It's planes. They actually fly. Can't believe everyone isn't into them!
Latest blog entry: EL-39 compilation video
Apr 19, 2021, 10:01 AM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
About 10 years ago, I was given an inexpensive ($25) RC helicopter for Christmas. I marveled at the engineering that went into that cheap toy. I was amazed at how it could fly forward, backward, and to either side. I wanted to fly outside but this little copter couldn't manage any breeze. I tried a more expensive copter ($50) but it, too, could not handle the breeze (and I wasn't any good as a pilot).

I read that planes were easier to fly than copters, so I picked up a Hobby Zone Super Cub (at least I think that was the name). Suddenly, I could fly outside. Though I crashed very often and, therefore, learned how to fix broken planes, I was hooked. I slowly moved from my Super Cub to a T28 Trojan, and the rest was history.

I found that flying was the greatest antidepressant ever invented. I simply loved to be outside flying. Over the years, I've crashed and fixed many planes, I mowed my own landing strip on an unused pasture, and I'm now trying to learn 3D and pattern flying. Almost every time I fly, I thank God for the incredible blessing of being able to fly.

Tom
Apr 19, 2021, 10:21 AM
Build it, don't buy it
As a kid in school, during library time, I could be found in the magazine section, devouring the RC aircraft magazines. Our family never had the means to entertain this interest of mine, a Guillows rubber powered airplane was the height of luxury. Had one uncle that flew control line, saw his planes but never saw them fly; and another uncle that was on the cutting edge of RC aircraft in the late 60's early 70's, I have vague memories of his field. He flew drones for the airforce, so had all the latest radio gear.

Once I started working, I finally had the means and bought my first plane, did a horrible job building it, so bought another, and Olympic 2. Taught myself to fly on that, flown everything RC since.

Like the lynxman above, I cannot understand why everyone isn't into this hobby, its planes and they actually fly and you can control them.
Apr 19, 2021, 10:57 AM
I started flying control line with my dad and brother in the early 70's with the Lancaster County Barnstormers at Columbia High School in PA. My dad and god father flew Galloping Ghost R/C planes before I started flying control line. In the late 70's I flew with my dad and brother at the Lancaster County R/C club in PA. I flew with that club until the mid 80's. Since then I been flying with the Patuxent AeroModelers in MD.
Apr 19, 2021, 11:12 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Around 1985 my dad called me on the phone and told me he was building an RC Gentle Lady glider , and when he was finished he wanted me to fly it . Three months later he was finished and I flew it at a local park that had a nice grass covered slope , it only needed a couple of clicks of up elevator trim .... then it flew perfect .
Apr 19, 2021, 02:17 PM
HobbyView/RCRoundtable
I was cut by a radioactive Cox .049 propeller.
Apr 19, 2021, 02:35 PM
Retired USAF
Flew control line for many years as a teen and when I first joined the AF. Had a guy in the barracks sell me all his RC stuff for $50. Two airplanes, motors, and radio! Shortly thereafter, I got a Midwest T-Craft and really started getting into it. Took a hiatus when was stationed in Japan (30+ yr hiatus!). Just got back into it last year.
Apr 19, 2021, 03:13 PM
I begged for and received a Cox P-40 .049 for Christmas of 1962. My Dad surmised that it would be better if he flew it first, and he did...for less than 1 minute before it met its demise. He felt awful, and I was crushed. We boxed it up and put it away. I mowed yards the following summer and saved enough to purchase a Cox Stuka, and the bug bit hard. I went on to building several balsa and doped paper combat type control lines and graduated to RC in the 70's. While in the service I flew various models until the early 80's, and life got in the way. I made a successful return to the hobby about a year and a half ago and it's a hoot all over again! To top it all off, I retire at the end of May this year and have stashed several unassembled planes, nearly a dozen flyers, and various RC cars and trucks...for the grandkids of course...lol.
Apr 19, 2021, 04:47 PM
Retired USAF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie45
I begged for and received a Cox P-40 .049 for Christmas of 1962. My Dad surmised that it would be better if he flew it first, and he did...for less than 1 minute before it met its demise. He felt awful, and I was crushed. We boxed it up and put it away. I mowed yards the following summer and saved enough to purchase a Cox Stuka, and the bug bit hard. I went on to building several balsa and doped paper combat type control lines and graduated to RC in the 70's. While in the service I flew various models until the early 80's, and life got in the way. I made a successful return to the hobby about a year and a half ago and it's a hoot all over again! To top it all off, I retire at the end of May this year and have stashed several unassembled planes, nearly a dozen flyers, and various RC cars and trucks...for the grandkids of course...lol.
One of the best things!
Apr 19, 2021, 05:45 PM
I was learning to fly full scale glider at Lake Elsinore around 14 yrs old. , One of the club members had a family member out for the day. After flight opps some of the guys would high start models. I was very interested and kept asking questions. Well one of the guys went to his car and took out a Wonderer in the box and handed it to me. I was given a lot of suggestions on how to build it. Some guy by the name of Mark Smith was my dealer.
Apr 19, 2021, 05:56 PM
I also flew a Cox P-40 controline in 1962! After that built and flew combat planes. Got an early start as a kid because one of my dads coworkers was a pilot. My first flight was about age 8 in a Stearman. Always wanted to fly RC but it was unafordable to a kid in the 60's. After retirement I got reinterested and taught myself to fly Rc in 2016 with a Champ. Long learning curve and a lot of exercise! When I got confused or disoriented I chopped the throttle and put the sticks to nuetral.....it would land itself SOMEWHERE! Amazingly it survived the training period and still flys ocassionsly when I need a break from my warbirds!
Apr 19, 2021, 07:35 PM
AeroDan
Watched a Cox Centurion operating on a 1978/79 TV episode of "CHiPs", and couldn't stop thinking about it since. Visited an LHS in 1981, saw the OLD Comet Ercoupe (Kit #3407) on the shelf..... Picked up the August 1983 issue of RCM Magazine....I'll let you figure out the rest of it.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Apr 19, 2021 at 07:43 PM.
Apr 19, 2021, 08:16 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Born in 1946. Watched airplane related movies and TV shows. Loved airplanes, built many a Revell plastic static model. I'd always stop and watch any airplane passing over ( I still do that ).Tried to build Comet and Guillow's free flight planes with very little success. Loved to play with 10 cent gliders and 29 and 49 cent rubber band stick planes. Had a few Cox CL planes, Lil Stinker bipe, PT-19 trainer and a TD-3 blow molded stunt plane, but I knew nothing about proper needle settings and was never really successful. I never had any knowledgeable help. Grew up, got educated, got married, had kids, started a career. I bought a Cox Cessna Centurion RC foam RTF in the late 1970s. I got two flights before trashing the airframe in the top of a 70 foot tree. The wind later blew it out of the tree. Built an Airtronics Q-Tee, installed the gear from the Cessna and taught myself to fly. I never had a mentor, always had to figure things out for myself with no internet and minimal written information. RC has been a part of my life since then. Love to fly and love the interaction with other flyers.

Quick Reply