Apr 17, 2021, 10:32 AM
Trader Rating: 38
Lift is where you find it.
Thread OP
Discussion

PayPal for in person transactions

I'm dealing with a person who suggested using PP for a face to face transaction that I assumed would use cash. I admit to being baffled over this. Enlighten me- is there a good reason someone would want to do this?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2021, 10:48 AM
Trader Rating: 351
None that I can think of unless to stall or rob you.
Apr 17, 2021, 11:01 AM
Trader Rating: 74
That would be a deal breaker for me.

In person requires cash.
Apr 17, 2021, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagomon
None that I can think of unless to stall or rob you.
Yeah- I thought he was an inept scammer because he suggested that, and also his communication was sketchy and I couldn't get him to send photos of his item (he was responding to a "Want" that I put in the Classifieds). Other weirdness was that he lives not to far from me and suggested meeting to do the deal- no shipping, no uncertainty- right?

I finally pressured him to send photos with a hand written dated note in them saying something to the effect of "here's the photos you wanted". He did that and I feel better about it, but it's still weird.

If he wanted to rob me cash in my pockets would be better than PP, right? I asked him about PP for in person and he said that some people do it for protection. I'm thinking "What?" I got the plane, you have cash in hand- who needs protection?

Anyway- it's bizarre. I should mention that I've had dealings twice recently with scammers responding to want ads, so I might be a little on the alert.
Apr 17, 2021, 11:03 AM
Trader Rating: 77
Buyer protection or no cash, sometimes you have no time to check everything.
Apr 17, 2021, 11:05 AM
Trader Rating: 165
Build a scale plane already!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR
I'm dealing with a person who suggested using PP for a face to face transaction that I assumed would use cash. I admit to being baffled over this. Enlighten me- is there a good reason someone would want to do this?
More info needed

New Member?
Feedback?
Dollar amount of transaction?

Danger is if it is a scammer, he pays, picks up the item, then claims it was never shipped,,, you're out of luck

Edit,,, now I see you're the buyer... Odd alright,, some people just don't like using cash,, maybe he's in a hurry to pay for something else online
Apr 17, 2021, 11:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
More info needed

New Member?
Feedback?
Dollar amount of transaction?

Danger is if it is a scammer, he pays, picks up the item, then claims it was never shipped,,, you're out of luck

Edit,,, now I see you're the buyer... Odd alright,, some people just don't like using cash,, maybe he's in a hurry to pay for something else online
Not a new member, a number of decent trader ratings, 500 posts. Which makes it all the more strange- you'd think he'd understand this stuff. He
did say that I must be a new member because I felt the way I did about it. That gave me a laugh. Asked him did he look at my profile. LOL
Apr 17, 2021, 11:29 AM
Trader Rating: 12
Quote:
Not a new member, a number of decent trader ratings, 500 posts. Which makes it all the more strange- you'd think he'd understand this stuff. He
did say that I must be a new member because I felt the way I did about it. That gave me a laugh. Asked him did he look at my profile. LOL
Maybe you should explain it to him then. If you pay G&S, then you can burn them with a non-delivery claim. If you pay F&F, then he can burn you. I understand his desire to get paid first so that you actually show up and don't blow him off, but with your ratings he should give you the benefit of the doubt and do this your way. Seems he trusts you if he's asking for G&S payment, so if you're trustworthy (not saying you aren't) then it's a total win-win for him. Not my thing, with some of the games I've seen played. Once they have your payment, they can keep you in the background as a wild card, refund you and then take a larger offer from someone else. Now you've reserved a day to meet someone and made plans for nothing. Mentioning that since I've seen it.

Good point too on maybe they're in a hurry to get the payment now electronically, being in a hurry to buy something else. Not my thing either. Kinda makes you a loan/funding service.
Last edited by AntiArf; Apr 17, 2021 at 11:36 AM.
Apr 17, 2021, 11:57 AM
Trader Rating: 74
Edit,,, now I see you're the buyer... Odd alright,, some people just don't like using cash,, maybe he's in a hurry to pay for something else online[/QUOTE]

I agree with Scale here as it cost money to add cash to your PP balance...

Although I like cash myself.. I accept PP for in person transactions even when I am the seller. Most folks are keen enough to pay fee free as they have the item in their hand. Either way I am OK. He is the one taking the risk if you insist on paying goods and services... Some folks don't want to carry cash especially if its a large amount..

Also buyer protection?!?!? where would the buyer protection be with cash...? If the guy wants to be paid in corn husks and you want the item look it over in person THEN PAY him his corn husks and move on.. Be easy to deal with and you might find a new friend in the hobby that is local to you.

Way over thinking this... Has it really gotten this hard to make a deal face to face? This whole thread is wonky.... or is it me...lol SJ.
Apr 17, 2021, 12:53 PM
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
That happened once to me where I was the buyer, personally picking up the item from the purchaser at his place.

I asked him what the reason was to send him payment thru PayPal, which would take a cut. He said that way it would be in his PP account, which he uses to buy stuff. It would save him transferring money into the account, where he'd lose on the exchange.

We were both in Canada and the sale was in US funds.

From my perspective, everything worked out perfectly.

There is always a reason. Sometimes we'll find out what it is and sometimes we won't.
Apr 17, 2021, 12:58 PM
Trader Rating: 762
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Probably hiding airplane money from his wife, lots of people on RCGroups it seems are scared of their wives knowing what they spend on RC planes At least that is what I have concluded based on what people tell me like, "I cant pay that much cause my wife will kill me." or "My wife wont' let me buy another plane even thought I said I will take it." or "My wife says I have too many planes already." and so on
Apr 17, 2021, 01:10 PM
Trader Rating: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar196
That happened once to me where I was the buyer, personally picking up the item from the purchaser at his place.

I asked him what the reason was to send him payment thru PayPal, which would take a cut. He said that way it would be in his PP account, which he uses to buy stuff. It would save him transferring money into the account, where he'd lose on the exchange.

There is always a reason. Sometimes we'll find out what it is and sometimes we won't.
They lose just as much in fees if you pay goods and services, right? I wouldn't trust paying F&F.
Apr 17, 2021, 02:01 PM
Trader Rating: 72
For face to face I would only use F&F. Here’s why. If you use goods and services at some later time a buyer on a face to face transaction can claim you never shipped it. As you didn’t you would have no proof of shipping or receipt. You would lose and PayPal would refund your money.
Apr 17, 2021, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
Well whatever. If it had just have been the paypal thing I wouldn't have thought much of it, but adding in the reluctance to send photos and the poor communication made me leery. But I wanted the damned plane, so I went to meet him. Lightly armed I might add (clawhammer within easy reach LOL).

Here's how it worked out: The guy was as nice of a person as you'd ever want to meet, the plane was absolutely like new, and he even threw in a probably expensive Rx of the brand I fly. We talked a little and found that we had some mutual friends and spent no time at all with recriminations. The run-up was rough, but actually meeting and doing the deal was perfectly smooth. I'll give him an excellent trader rating.

I guess the moral is that you never can tell, but caution is indicated no matter what.
Apr 17, 2021, 02:07 PM
Trader Rating: 41
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar196

In Canada you can do interac e-transfer, which is either free or a small flat fee.
Not smart to do it on PP in $US, they have a terrible exchange rate.

I have done the PP thing for in person deals, but each time I was away from home, and they gave me the goods and I PP'ed them later that day.
But this was at contests and they knew I would be good for it.

Quick Reply