Jun 17, 2021, 06:17 PM
Thread OP

cabin details

I have been working on the cabin details. Like trying to smooth things out.
In an effort to make the windshield posts stronger,, I wrapped the fiberglass around from the front windows to the side windows.
In the front, the cabin roof top into the front widow. The job did come out smooth or neat,
I've sanded, filled (squadron putty) , sanded again, I have more rubbing to do.
I should have just laid another piece of fiberglass over the side to finish it off,, which I just might do.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2021, 06:20 PM
Thread OP

I am an idiot

I should double check my work before hitting submit.
Nothing is smooth or neat , yet, I have more sanding to do
Jun 18, 2021, 04:38 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Mike , more glass cloth will only make your work more difficult and your boat heavier on the top- you need filler and a sharp putty knife and block sanding-now's the time to bring out your bodywork skills. If You were using polyester, you would be able to fair everything with bondo and evercoat and cure time between applications would be fast- but that's water under the keel now. Because your boat is epoxy based, you are pretty much bound to microballoons and epoxy resin. (very few other things stick to epoxy)
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Jun 18, 2021 at 05:01 AM.
Jun 18, 2021, 12:41 PM
Thread OP

I tired of cabins

More time sanding the cabin. I used Squadron white putty, seems to stick well and sands in to fine power.
As you also know, I've used 3M fairing compound . That sticks well also.
This morning I sanded, then painted most of the cabin , looks OK, photos to follow.
As I was sanding, I thought about actually using the boat. and the rough treatment it will take.
The cockpit awning ( hard top) will have to be strong. So I decided to fiberglass the sides.
Maybe tomorrow. Naturally the hardtop will be glassed also
I am not worried about the weight.
Polyester vs. Epoxy- I stopped using Polyester due to the smell. I do a lot building in the winter, in the basement.
The smell sticks up the house, which gets me in trouble with the wife. Happy wife , happy life. enough said.
I've learned to work with epoxy
Jun 19, 2021, 10:32 PM
Thread OP

progress

Today I fiberglassed both cabin sides. and Yes I feel better.
You'll notice I made the cabin top rails longer. They are sistered inside also.
Many well meaning people have a habit of lifting the cabin off by pulling on the hard top.
well now it's a lot stronger. Yes Bob was right, it did make the cabin heavier, just not that much.
When I painted the cabin top , I did not notice all the fine hairs the brush left behind and are now embedded in the paint.
I'll sand the roof again and this time use a foam brush.
I went thru my mechanical items, I have two outrunner motors, and two 18 amp ESC. I have the u joints, but not the motor mounts.
I'll try my local hobby store, then the internet
Jun 21, 2021, 07:44 AM
Thread OP

window trim

I cut the front windows. Did not mount them yet, until I finish the window trim.
Window trim is pre painted coffee stirrers. They are just as wide as the plywood is thick.
They were a lucky find for me. The front cabin windows and the side windows will all get trimmed.
It's a slow, tedious process. Sure to get plenty of CA glue on my fingers.
The cabin windows get dark plastic all around ( except the left front ) . No side windows in the cockpit
Jun 23, 2021, 10:57 AM
Thread OP

window trim

I cut and fitted the windshield windows, clear thin plexiglass. Then removed them to trim out the windows.
I'm afraid once the hard top goes on, I'll never get the windows out again. I hope I never scratch them.

I spent some time opening up the hull to accept the cabin removal. The cabin kept binding against the hull when taking it off and on.
All that time trying for a perfect fit between cabin and hull and it came out looking like a blind guy did it.
Looks like I'll be using Frankg suggestion for using a trim piece in that area. Photos to follow
Jun 23, 2021, 11:07 AM
Thread OP

Shafts

Removed the rudders, to install the shafts. Lock nut, thrust washer, install, thrust washer, locking collar ring, Measure shafts. Remove.
Cut, reinstall all. Next stop either the motors or the new scar I found on the hull.
A deep scratch. Looks like a few hours of sanding, epoxy, sanding ,& painting.
big bummer
Jun 25, 2021, 10:41 PM
Thread OP

Good Luck

About that ugly "scar" in the hull,, well it turned out it was some adhesive that was good and stuck to the hull.
it cleaned up and I painted over it. Looks good now. A big advantage to a brushed finish
That gap between the cabin and the hull. Yes I am taking FrankG's advice. I'll find a piece of square stock to cover it.
Cabin comes off easier now.
Hard top roof beams are in, Trial fitting of the hard top went well, it will be cemented in tomorrow
I'm in the process of making motor mounts
Jun 27, 2021, 10:37 PM
Thread OP

motors mounted

I made up motor mounts, glued them in place with E6000 goo.
Tomorrow, I'll change the motor connection plugs on the ESC to Deans.
All my batteries are Deans. Can sea trials be far away?
Jun 28, 2021, 09:47 AM
Thread OP

back to the top

Those thoughts of rough use in real life, made me 'glass the roof beams to the cabin sides.
Anyway, I feel better. After sanding the excess off and smooth,, I glued the hardtop on- photo to follow.

Still got to switch the ESC 's to Deans
Jun 28, 2021, 11:36 PM
Thread OP

Hardtop

Hardtop is on, and as of tonight the top has been fiberglassed. Tomorrow I'll sand off the excess then fiberglass from the underside.
ESC's have been converted to Deans connectors. Time to find the right radio
Jun 29, 2021, 10:57 AM
Thread OP

more 'glass

Bob is thinking, with all this fiberglass "this cabin is gonna weight a ton", he's not far off.
Flipped the cabin over and fiberglassed the underside.
Power train, I plan to run dual motors, dual throttles. All my dual stick radios have one spring side stick and the other ratchet.
Got to see if I can one of my radios to have both sticks the same
Jun 30, 2021, 11:03 AM
Thread OP

Just a Hundred,,

Just a hundred things to do before it's finished. In this state , I'm pleased with it's overall look and size.
It's going to be a pain to get out of the basement due to it's wide size. Lets hope it's please to use.
None of my two stick radios have both sticks the same. One stick is spring loaded, but not the other.
Just have to convert one, part of the hundred things to do. But it's time for Sea Trials
Taff Rails, Toe Rails, instrument panel, cabin door, crew , trim paint, name plate, etc all to do

Quick Reply