Apr 15, 2021, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Question

Electric motor recommendation?

Hi I just acquired a 96 Senior Telemaster. I plan to use it as a tug for gliders 2-3meters. What would you recommend for a electric motor?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2021, 06:00 AM
So many planes, so little time
I use a Tacon Big Foot .60 motor and 6S on my senior Telemaster. While I haven't towed with it, there's a ton of power. I believe I'm using a 16x10 APC prop.

https://www.hobbypartz.com/96m606-bi...030-400kv.html

Apr 17, 2021, 09:10 AM
Thread OP

Thx!

Would an 80amp esc do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMA82
I use a Tacon Big Foot .60 motor and 6S on my senior Telemaster. While I haven't towed with it, there's a ton of power. I believe I'm using a 16x10 APC prop.

https://www.hobbypartz.com/96m606-bi...030-400kv.html

Apr 17, 2021, 07:22 PM
So many planes, so little time
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxmasonrya
Would an 80amp esc do?
Yes, I think that's what I'm using.

Apr 20, 2021, 04:16 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I know the 60 will work easily but if you want some power to spare I would go to a 110 on 8 cells with a 100amp esc.
Due the high wing, yes a 60 will easily fly it but a 110 on 8s will give you some nice extra power, and longer flight time for towing.
Apr 20, 2021, 05:04 AM
Not much point talking about motors before prop and battery. Regardless of whether you go for a high power or more modest setup, imo on a model that size you should be looking at 18" prop at least.

My experience as a newby on the glider end of the towline is that steep climbs that require a minimum of time and turning to get to altitude make life a lot easier. So if you can, imo it's worth giving your tug plenty of thrust, probably over 1:1 thrust weight for the combination of tug and glider. But you don't need to tow fast, either for the Tele or the glider, so the optimum prop is going to be close to the maximum diameter you can fit considering ground clearance.

Then it's a case of finding a motor and battery combination that with your prop diameter will give you at least 100W /lb for the combination weight. On the other hand, unless you need to do lots of back to back tows, you don't need huge battery capacity as each tow should be 30 seconds to a minute, and then idle all the way down. So say 11lb for the tug and up to 10 lbs for the glider, if you're towing heavy 3m scale ships. That's a target of around 2000W, which imo is not realistic for "60" sized motors.

Hypothetically, if you were to run a 20x12, a motor around 250 rpm/V such as Scorpion 4035-250 or Eflite Power 160 on 8S will use about 2000W max, and generate around 20lb static thrust with comfortable pitch speed.

Probably sounds like overkill, but it's so easy to do that it might be worth considering. I guess I've been spoiled by being towed by 3m IMAC models that essentially hoist 20lb 5m gliders up at 45 degrees plus - not much time for things to go wrong and the glider has little choice but to follow the tug up.
Apr 21, 2021, 09:57 PM
Thread OP

Thx for the info!!

Thank for sharing your experience. Before I saw your post, I actually bought a turning your G60 500kv. I figured more power is always good?

QUOTE=scirocco;46974267]Not much point talking about motors before prop and battery. Regardless of whether you go for a high power or more modest setup, imo on a model that size you should be looking at 18" prop at least.

My experience as a newby on the glider end of the towline is that steep climbs that require a minimum of time and turning to get to altitude make life a lot easier. So if you can, imo it's worth giving your tug plenty of thrust, probably over 1:1 thrust weight for the combination of tug and glider. But you don't need to tow fast, either for the Tele or the glider, so the optimum prop is going to be close to the maximum diameter you can fit considering ground clearance.

Then it's a case of finding a motor and battery combination that with your prop diameter will give you at least 100W /lb for the combination weight. On the other hand, unless you need to do lots of back to back tows, you don't need huge battery capacity as each tow should be 30 seconds to a minute, and then idle all the way down. So say 11lb for the tug and up to 10 lbs for the glider, if you're towing heavy 3m scale ships. That's a target of around 2000W, which imo is not realistic for "60" sized motors.

Hypothetically, if you were to run a 20x12, a motor around 250 rpm/V such as Scorpion 4035-250 or Eflite Power 160 on 8S will use about 2000W max, and generate around 20lb static thrust with comfortable pitch speed.

Probably sounds like overkill, but it's so easy to do that it might be worth considering. I guess I've been spoiled by being towed by 3m IMAC models that essentially hoist 20lb 5m gliders up at 45 degrees plus - not much time for things to go wrong and the glider has little choice but to follow the tug up.[/QUOTE]
Apr 22, 2021, 12:35 AM
I'm not sure what the relationship is between G60-500 and more power is always good.

As approx 360g motors, the G60 series are around 1500-1800W class motors (4-5W per gram motor weight), unless for very short runs which is not the case for glider towing.

Kv doesn't determine how much power the motor can handle - rather HOW that power is reached, ie voltage and prop size.

Assuming 6S, a G60-500 only needs a 15x8 prop to use about 1600W, developing about 6.6kg static thrust. A G60-300 needs a 20x14 to use 1600W, but develops around 8kg static thrust.

If 15" was the biggest prop you could fit and you want about 1600W, then the G60-500 is the ideal motor. Or if you wanted to go real fast in that same 1600W power range with a say 13x13 , it's also a good choice.

But if prop diameter is not constrained and you actually don't want to go fast at all and thrust to overcome the drag and weight of the tug and glider climbing steeply is most important, then you can do better with lower Kv, lower rpm and a much bigger prop, which converts power to thrust more efficiently. Hence my comment about prop and battery choice before motor.

Having chosen a motor and presumably running 6S, you now have to accept whatever size prop maxes out the motor, in this case 15x8.

It's not a wrong choice and it's going to be just fine even with 5lb gliders, but just not what you could have achieved starting from the prop and working towards desired performance, which makes the motor the very last decision in power system design.

Quick Reply