Apr 14, 2021, 01:24 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
Discussion

"SAFE" technology should be banned

There is no reason "safe" technology should exist in the hobby.. People who use it and depend on it are diluting the hobby because little skill is required when the plane has a "panic" mode returning it to level flight and also limiting bank and pitch is crutch no-one should rely or depend on. Learn how to fly or just go bowling or something.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2021, 01:54 PM
TOK
TOK
Don't buy it if you don't like it, Karen.
Apr 14, 2021, 01:55 PM
OMG, this is such a troll... LOL!
Apr 14, 2021, 02:00 PM
3D is flying under stall speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
There is no reason "safe" technology should exist in the hobby.. People who use it and depend on it are diluting the hobby because little skill is required when the plane has a "panic" mode returning it to level flight and also limiting bank and pitch is crutch no-one should rely or depend on. Learn how to fly or just go bowling or something.
I get your point and I am on your side but the hobby is made to have fun.
But it is better if we let people do what they want as long as they don't hurt anyone.
-BP
Apr 14, 2021, 02:05 PM
Before you post in this thread, you might want to read this one:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3849331

Andy
Apr 14, 2021, 02:06 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
They should also stop putting those holes in bowling balls, it can give a false sense of secure grip.

Seen a few video clips of failing to let go of a bowl at the correct time.

Bowling Fail Compilation 2021 (3 min 57 sec)

People should stay at least 2M away from model planes, transmitters and bowling balls.

Apr 14, 2021, 02:07 PM
I really think SAFE could help tic get that cat to fly!
Apr 14, 2021, 02:30 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
I really think SAFE could help tic get that cat to fly!
Here's some flying cats , no SAFE ....
Apr 14, 2021, 03:24 PM
3D is flying under stall speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Before you post in this thread, you might want to read this one:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3849331

Andy
Thanks I though he was serious.
-BP
Apr 14, 2021, 03:29 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
On the point of it being a crutch for many I do agree. If beginners rely on technology too much their skills develop much slower than they should. Same with purchasing foam planes.

When you are ready for about your third airplane it should be a good wood ARF with no gyros or safe technology. Practice and more practice until you are proficient. With much practice everything will be easy without thinking about it.

Fortunately I learned to fly before technology was invented. I do use gyros for improved stability on very windy days and to make some very small airplanes fly more like big ones.

Technology is OK as long as it does not become a crutch. Only use it when it's absolutely necessary.

Apr 14, 2021, 03:53 PM
DFS#000178
I wouldn't say it should be banned, but I would say it should be encouraged to learn to move past. It's like training wheels on a bike. Everyone knows the goal is to take the training wheels off instead of getting progressively higher performance bikes with training wheels.
Apr 14, 2021, 03:55 PM
The people I teach start on SAFE. Then shortly after solo, I make sure they are turning it off unless they need it. If used too much, you won't learn to fly because you will have habits of banging the sticks. But I believe SAFE technology is helping the hobby grow due to less chances of failures right away. It gives someone a chance to decide if they like the hobby. I've seen guys crash you much right away and give up.
Apr 14, 2021, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I wouldn't say it should be banned, but I would say it should be encouraged to learn to move past. It's like training wheels on a bike. Everyone knows the goal is to take the training wheels off instead of getting progressively higher performance bikes with training wheels.
And then at some point ...
Apr 14, 2021, 04:11 PM
People who can't acknowledge SAFE technology for what it is and what it can do should be banned!
Apr 14, 2021, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic

Ha! SAFE is not the problem ... it is the damn electronics! Now, back in the day we flew control line and by God .... that took skill! We did not need some pansy sissy radio to fly ... we learned and we leaned well.

Quick Reply