Apr 17, 2021, 05:08 PM
Tail heavy, too little experience, wind, etc.... Basically don't put a plane like this in the air without more experience. Hard lesson to learn.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2021, 06:02 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Buddy box...

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Apr 17, 2021, 10:17 PM
At 0:58 you can clearly see he is giving it full deflection aileron because he sees it rolling to the left thinking he needs more right he gives it full right input that causes it to roll left more because the ailerons are reversed. Here is a screen shot at 0:58 into the video.

I did the same thing with a foam P-51 when I re-bound a spektrum to a receiver it defaulted the settings which the only setting change I had was reversed aileron that would cause a crash. I was lucky didn't hit the throttle a 2nd time when it rolled I cut the throttle it cartwheeled wasn't much damage. Ever since that event I put little check list on my radio reminds me to check if controls are correct.
Last edited by kell490; Apr 17, 2021 at 10:55 PM.
Apr 17, 2021, 10:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
You appear to be correct..

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Apr 18, 2021, 07:16 AM
I find it hard to believe that a pilot attempting to fly a 1/3 scale high wing model is so bad he ends up upside down after lift off due to lack of skill. I vote for a gyro reversal, or aileron control reversal. If I am wrong, than the pilot should have started with a foamie Timber in SAFE mode!
Apr 18, 2021, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge
I find it hard to believe that a pilot attempting to fly a 1/3 scale high wing model is so bad he ends up upside down after lift off due to lack of skill.
Agree 100%. A novice doesn't respond quickly like this, an expert does. But when the controls are wrong, experience works against you, because your brain is programmed to quickly make the right movements, which are the wrong movements when right is wrong.
Apr 18, 2021, 09:52 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
pumping the volume up, the first audible comment is "reversed ailerons", not sure who's talking tough...
At 0:19 a flight controls check is done, seen are only the rudder and elevator, maybe the ailerons were done before...

Nevertheless, the take-off should have been aborted as soon as it was evident something was wrong. Upside down the model was high enough and half a roll, then not touching the ailerons but for bare necessities could have saved the day.

Too many moons ago I took off with a cheapo EDF, caught a gust about 3 feet high, corrected, aircraft doing a full roll... cut the throttle, flared and landed, no damage, holy
Had another EDF selected on the remote, on which the ailerons were the opposite to this one
Apr 18, 2021, 11:26 AM
Endangered User
Belief in flying ability > actual flying ability.
Apr 18, 2021, 12:34 PM
>>I find it hard to believe that a pilot attempting to fly a 1/3 scale high wing model is so bad he ends up upside down after lift off due to lack of skill.>>

well, it's hard to argue with the evidence. not only does he end up inverted but he has no idea what to do when he gets there. that was the only opportunity he had to recover.
Apr 18, 2021, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57
pumping the volume up, the first audible comment is "reversed ailerons", not sure who's talking tough...
At 0:19 a flight controls check is done, seen are only the rudder and elevator, maybe the ailerons were done before...

Nevertheless, the take-off should have been aborted as soon as it was evident something was wrong. Upside down the model was high enough and half a roll, then not touching the ailerons but for bare necessities could have saved the day.

Too many moons ago I took off with a cheapo EDF, caught a gust about 3 feet high, corrected, aircraft doing a full roll... cut the throttle, flared and landed, no damage, holy
Had another EDF selected on the remote, on which the ailerons were the opposite to this one
The pilot replies to the specters comment "It wasn't reversed Aileron". I still suspect it was I didn't see any control check done other then wag the rudder and elevator. This is common bumping the sticks but not checking the direction.

Quick Reply