Apr 15, 2021, 03:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
People...read ‘AdMan’s’ post.. according to him, there was a post mortem after the crash and he says the ailerons were not reversed!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2021, 03:33 PM
Win some lose some
A good thorough range check before it left the ground may have prevented this.
Latest blog entry: video
Apr 15, 2021, 03:35 PM
Possibly, or just a plain old fashion ‘walk around’!

SteveT.
Apr 15, 2021, 03:39 PM
I don’t see any evidence that there was a significant crosswind or that the plane was tail heavy. There’s no question the pilot was in over his head.
Apr 15, 2021, 04:12 PM
I just want to go fly!
I personally think maidening a new plane is one of the best parts of the hobby. There is absolutely no excuse for reversed ailerons. Slow pre-check before flight every single time every single flight no matter how many times I’ve flown the airplane.
Apr 15, 2021, 04:30 PM
Not reversed ailerons!!! Read AdMan’s post!

SteveT.
Apr 15, 2021, 04:54 PM
He says it, which just raises more questions.
Apr 15, 2021, 05:15 PM
So if it is not reversed ailerons, what was it? I don't think that is a normally-behaving airplane. Something was dreadfully wrong. It was not a bump or wind or something minor. A plane that large doesn't go crazy with a little wind.
Apr 15, 2021, 05:47 PM
I still think the ailerons were reversed. However, these types of airplanes will sometimes lift off at an airspeed below what is needed for the ailerons be effective. When this happens, the rudder should be used for directional control until the airspeed increases.
Apr 15, 2021, 05:50 PM
at 1;12 you can see both ailerons deflected and the airplane rolling hard to the left. As I said earlier, I had that airplane and I have ruled out CG, crosswind, or too much throw. Ailerons reversed or not, there was something manifestly wrong and my belief is that it could have and should have been caught on the ground with a more thorough preflight.
Apr 15, 2021, 06:59 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
I think SAFE technology crashed it
Apr 15, 2021, 07:00 PM
I wonder if the plane used a gyro and the gyro was correcting the wrong way.
Apr 15, 2021, 07:26 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Not reversed ailerons!!! Read AdMan’s post!

SteveT.

I saw what he posted........but why on earth if this is true would the pilot be giving so much left aileron on takeoff then? Look closely at the vid-right aileron is max down as he pops into the air. Either way, he definitely panicked and stuffed it. I know a lot of guys that have flown for a very long time and were also instructors but they wouldn't touch any plane of mine lol!!!

I also agree that a better preflight should've been done. So, does the chap that planted it read these forums? It would be interesting to hear what he has to say! Was this his plane or another's? A shame either way!
Apr 15, 2021, 07:36 PM
'If' there was a gyro, and the gyro was reversed, this would be a perfectly reasonable reason for what happened.

SteveT.
Apr 16, 2021, 12:26 AM
Ailerons may have re-reversed on impact! I've seen crashes reverse servos before.

Quick Reply