Apr 14, 2021, 05:58 PM
Endangered User
Looks to me like a combination of large control throws and failure to to a proper and systematic preflight.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2021, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avee8
At 0:57, down aileron on the right side.
Looks like reversed ailerons.
Yup, that's what I see too.

I dunno about tail heavy, it looked like he had enough power to fly out of it but he reduced throttle when the nose was straight up. Then realized the error, reapplied power and tried to loop out of it and did the lower half of the infamous "figure 9". So I'd guess (and it is a guess) that in addition to the reversed ailerons he didn't have the experience to get out of it.

It still hurt to watch that though.
Apr 14, 2021, 08:59 PM
Somebody at a field handed me their newly built airplane to maiden for them. I asked "did you check everything out?" The reply was, "oh yes, it is good to go." This video looks EXACTLY like the same short flight I had, and it was reversed ailerons.

Now I always do the thumbs up, right-left aileron check before I maiden a plane, even when someone tells me "its all good to go!"
Apr 14, 2021, 09:08 PM
If I’m asked to maiden an airplane I’m not going to ask about control surfaces. That’s on me.
Apr 14, 2021, 09:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
That's why I neither maiden nor even fly another persons plane!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Apr 14, 2021, 09:36 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunkman
I'm going with reversed ailerons too. And possibility the pilot has more money than experience?
This right here is your answer!!!! He simply panicked once he discovered the reversed ailerons! You can see when he's inverted that he gives a touch of down elevator and then a bunch of "up"
directing it straight into the ground!
Apr 14, 2021, 10:19 PM
I wasn’t there to see it but word is that a guy i know recently plowed a new 70cc Edge on its maiden due to reversed ailerons. Plane and engine totaled. It’s so important to put the airplane together at home and confirm proper direction.
Apr 14, 2021, 10:23 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
And for gosh sake's, don't stand in front of the plane when you check the ailerons!!!! Stand behind it, just to make sure, and it doesn't hurt a thing to ask somebody else to check them pre flight.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Apr 14, 2021, 10:51 PM
I think a lot of these people don't even know which aileron does what, with what stick movement. Sure seems that way to me. Wiggle sticks...off we go!
Apr 15, 2021, 08:07 AM
Just so people know...

The pilot has been flying for a very long time. He was actually my instructor when I began 12 years ago. We checked the plane after the crash and ailerons were correct. Although one side had disloged from the crash. We think, it may have been in the air who knows. I flew one on maiden and had one aileron servo block fall out on maiden and I got that down with one aileron. He had no control of it once it was in the air. Then possibly down meant up and up meant expensive... I'd say CG was the issue.
Apr 15, 2021, 09:05 AM
What engine?
Last edited by koppterX; Apr 15, 2021 at 09:15 AM.
Apr 15, 2021, 12:49 PM
The plane probably lost balance on very bad grass terrain.
The plane bent to left side. In this moment the pilot tried to lift from ground at too low speed and lost control.
Apr 15, 2021, 01:12 PM
Looked like cross-wind lifted left wing, pilot kept takeoff power on, ailerons were probably reversed, when he tried to level wings, it flipped , etc.
Apr 15, 2021, 01:31 PM
RC4Life

Reversed ailerons

I'm guessing the ailerons were reversed and the plane was tailheavy
Apr 15, 2021, 01:32 PM
RC4Life
Crosswind also played a role

Quick Reply