What the Heck Wednesday - Maiden Madness

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a giant scale RC airplane setting out on its maiden voyage and ends up on a short trip into the dirt.

Splash

Maiden Flight Madness

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a giant scale RC airplane setting out on its maiden voyage. Getting any new plane in the air for the first time will have your nerves working overtime, but that's especially true with a large plane that has a lot of money tied up into it. You don't want to see all that money and hard work end up in a trash can, but sometimes the plane's lifespan is just shorter than you want.

This 1/3 scale gasser taxi's out and is looking good until shortly after the wings get some lift. The next sequence of events goes as follows: rolls left to drag a wing, leaves the ground, pulls up to vertical losing all airspeed, full throttle engaged with right roll, continue right roll to nearly inverted, still full throttle gaining speed inverted, hard pull up the wrong way right into the ground, hard impact, flight ends.

What do you guys think of this one? Was this just poorly flown, some control issue? or something else? Let's hear your thoughts in the comments below.

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Apr 14, 2021, 01:17 PM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX
Tail heavy and maybe reversed ailerons. Hard to tell but left aileron seems to be full down. Very sad to see.

John
Apr 14, 2021, 01:19 PM
Modeling Retread
You can see the left roll in the ailerons right as it lifts off but that doesn't explain the rest of the crash. It was an awful short run for such a big plane, so maybe he tried to take off too soon. Overall, it looks like balance problem.
Apr 14, 2021, 01:25 PM
At 0:57, down aileron on the right side.
Looks like reversed ailerons.
Apr 14, 2021, 01:28 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
He should have used a "SAFE" spektrum receiver. That technology saves a lot of planes from this sort of demise
Apr 14, 2021, 01:45 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Looks like a cocktail of problems. Lifted off with too little airspeed, almost certainly tail heavy, definitely left aileron (right one down) on lift off, excessive control movement probably (note the amount of elevator movement in the test during engine run up). A real pro hot-shot pilot might have been able to get out of it to climb away inverted, but given the probable CG problems and possible aileron reversal I doubt it.
Apr 14, 2021, 01:51 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Could there also be an element of, 'waggle the sticks and accept things moved'.

Admittedly we didn't see all the pre-flight checks, only a reduced clip.

It can be easy to accept that if a surface moved, it must be Ok.

Ray
Apr 14, 2021, 02:10 PM
Spektrum "SAFE" for those who cannot fly RC aircraft.

The pilot just panic!
Apr 14, 2021, 02:50 PM
AeroDan
EXTREMELY tail-heavy, and possible aileron servo reversal. Just my 2 cents.
Apr 14, 2021, 02:54 PM
Wow that's painful to watch. I check, recheck, and triple check before maiden on my measly 60inch sport models. I'm not a fan of repairing or rebuilding. I can only imagine how that guy feels.
Apr 14, 2021, 02:54 PM
okay, having owned that airplane, (H9 Decathlon) i can attest to the following, it takes off with little speed - the result of a very big wing. nor was it tail heavy, it had a big twin as evidenced by the prop and exhaust. At 40 plus pounds it's also horribly unforgiving. Everything else looks like it was just too much to handle for the pilot. ailerons reversal is likely, and he should have tried to fly out of when inverted. One thing you don't see is an aileron check during the runup or the taxi out. Inexcusable on a new airplane.

Oh well, another one lost.
Last edited by koppterX; Apr 14, 2021 at 03:06 PM.
Apr 14, 2021, 03:06 PM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX

Freddie Mercury must have been an R/C pilot.

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone and another one gone
Hey I'm gonna get you too

John
Apr 14, 2021, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Could there also be an element of, 'waggle the sticks and accept things moved'.

Admittedly we didn't see all the pre-flight checks, only a reduced clip.

It can be easy to accept that if a surface moved, it must be Ok.

Ray
This.....
Apr 14, 2021, 04:52 PM
Way too many things wrong here. TBH at 58 seconds he could have just cut the power and let it plop down instead of drilling it WOT into the ground.
Apr 14, 2021, 05:27 PM
I'm going with reversed ailerons too. And possibility the pilot has more money than experience?

Quick Reply