Apr 14, 2021, 10:02 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

the Correct Methanol

im seriously considering mixing up my own fuel...was reading in another thread a cost effective alternative to Klotz, called Thor Oil... i have 10 gal. of 10% on hand and with shipping and all each gallon comes out to about 33$...i recently go my stepson hooked on flying, he wants to continue with glow even though the majority fly electric(his choice)...we are also waiting for his first .40 kit as well, he wants build, can you believe that!.......Long story short, if we both continue to fly, i need to look for a suitable alt. to using Nitro .... the shipping is super resonable....i tried the big name fuel suppliers and the shipping was over a 100$ for Torco, Sunoco, VP Fuels......now its a biodiesel site, but the product is METHANOL 99....% purity...so if mixed accordingly , 18% oil and the rest methanol, i should have a fuel that will run in my glow motors , correct?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2021, 10:40 AM
Still gassin' it.
Yes... that should be the correct Methanol for use as glow fuel.
Depending on your engine, you might want to remove a headshim, and depending on your oil quality, you can drop lube percentage to 15% if you use a good synthetic.
Apr 14, 2021, 11:13 AM
Scott
Another option is to find a VP racing dealer. Around here methanol is about $4 a gallon. VP makes M5 methanol which is methanol with 5% oxidizer added which behaves like 5% Nitro but still passes most NHRA fuel tests. It is about the same price as the methanol you posted, but will run like 5% nitro. Mix it with oil just as you would straight alky.

Scott
Apr 14, 2021, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
Another option is to find a VP racing dealer. Around here methanol is about $4 a gallon. VP makes M5 methanol which is methanol with 5% oxidizer added which behaves like 5% Nitro but still passes most NHRA fuel tests. It is about the same price as the methanol you posted, but will run like 5% nitro. Mix it with oil just as you would straight alky.

Scott
the closest one is 300+ mi away..but yeah that would be really nice
Apr 14, 2021, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
Yes... that should be the correct Methanol for use as glow fuel.
Depending on your engine, you might want to remove a headshim, and depending on your oil quality, you can drop lube percentage to 15% if you use a good synthetic.
well thats good news...on friday, im gonna bite the bullet and order a 5 gallon pail....i have this Cool Power 2cyl synthetic oil i never used from the 2000s...should probably still be good...stilll has the red inner cap seal, and i will test some engines out on it....might add 2% castor, for the extra added benefits..then experiment with Thor oil

i know my Rossis and MVVS engines, and perhaps my Supertigers will like it...i also run OS engines and YS, and if they dont like the FAI blend i could always reserve the 10%nitro fuel for those... i actually feel a lot more at peace, now that i have found a solid source of potential glow fuel
Apr 14, 2021, 12:18 PM
See if you can find a go-cart shop closer. If they don't have methanol in 5 gallon buckets, they should be able to direct to the closest supply.
Apr 14, 2021, 12:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Doe
See if you can find a go-cart shop closer. If they don't have methanol in 5 gallon buckets, they should be able to direct to the closest supply.
unfortunately i live in very lazy deep South Tx....go kart racing is unheard of, there are no oval tracks for racing of any kind....theres a drag strip about 20 miles away, and not even they sell methanol
Apr 14, 2021, 01:37 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCpilot7974
im seriously considering mixing up my own fuel...was reading in another thread a cost effective alternative to Klotz, called Thor Oil... i have 10 gal. of 10% on hand and with shipping and all each gallon comes out to about 33$...i recently go my stepson hooked on flying, he wants to continue with glow even though the majority fly electric(his choice)...we are also waiting for his first .40 kit as well, he wants build, can you believe that!.......Long story short, if we both continue to fly, i need to look for a suitable alt. to using Nitro .... the shipping is super resonable....i tried the big name fuel suppliers and the shipping was over a 100$ for Torco, Sunoco, VP Fuels......now its a biodiesel site, but the product is METHANOL 99....% purity...so if mixed accordingly , 18% oil and the rest methanol, i should have a fuel that will run in my glow motors , correct?
Yup bio diesel places do have and use a large quantity of methanol. We have a local bio diesel plant here but the management is/are kind of anti social and will not sell us any of their methanol. Fortunately the auto mechanic shop that takes care of our family vehicles love drag racing and he and his friends buy methanol in bulk. So I just asked to buy the 5 gallon pails from them instead. I used to buy M1 and now starting to collect M5's.

Oil is another issue. I just bought 1 gallon of Klotz Super Techniplate on eBay. $57 for the gallon of oil but $20 shipping.

Then I checked into Bulk Apothecary for castor oil. 8 pounds of oil (I presume that is 1 gallon or there about) is listed as $19.44 and they are willing to ship to Hawaii but the shipping cost is $60. So I will just use the Super Techniplate for now. I need to revisit Benol from Amazon again.
Apr 14, 2021, 01:39 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
unfortunately i live in very lazy deep South Tx....go kart racing is unheard of, there are no oval tracks for racing of any kind....theres a drag strip about 20 miles away, and not even they sell methanol
It is the not drag strip that sells methanol. The people that drives the race cars at the drag strips may be pooling together to order methanol themselves. So it may be worthwhile to visit a couple of drag races and make friends with the racers.
Apr 14, 2021, 02:39 PM
I get mine from a drag strip 18 miles from me and they sell methanol & 105 from pumps like you see at a service station.
Not trying to hijack, but would the 105 be good for our gas engines?
Apr 14, 2021, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Yup bio diesel places do have and use a large quantity of methanol. We have a local bio diesel plant here but the management is/are kind of anti social and will not sell us any of their methanol. Fortunately the auto mechanic shop that takes care of our family vehicles love drag racing and he and his friends buy methanol in bulk. So I just asked to buy the 5 gallon pails from them instead. I used to buy M1 and now starting to collect M5's.

Oil is another issue. I just bought 1 gallon of Klotz Super Techniplate on eBay. $57 for the gallon of oil but $20 shipping.

Then I checked into Bulk Apothecary for castor oil. 8 pounds of oil (I presume that is 1 gallon or there about) is listed as $19.44 and they are willing to ship to Hawaii but the shipping cost is $60. So I will just use the Super Techniplate for now. I need to revisit Benol from Amazon again.
sounds like youre in a bigger conundrum than me.... so if my math is correct, i use about 23oz oil and the rest methanol, if i wanted 18%oil
Apr 14, 2021, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
It is the not drag strip that sells methanol. The people that drives the race cars at the drag strips may be pooling together to order methanol themselves. So it may be worthwhile to visit a couple of drag races and make friends with the racers.
actually i've been discussing going to the track, even before the glow fuel "dilema" for quite a while...just haven't done anything yet...it is entertaining, the smell of burnouts isnt bad either...
Apr 14, 2021, 03:23 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
sounds like youre in a bigger conundrum than me.... so if my math is correct, i use about 23oz oil and the rest methanol, if i wanted 18%oil
Well, serves me right for living in the middle of the vast Pacific ocean.

Yes, 23 ounce divided by 128 ounce is about 18 percent.
Apr 14, 2021, 03:24 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
actually i've been discussing going to the track, even before the glow fuel "dilema" for quite a while...just haven't done anything yet...it is entertaining, the smell of burnouts isnt bad either...
Well, I can do without the smell of burnt rubber and VHT. However if the guys used a lot of nitromethane they do burn my eyes "pleasantly".
Apr 14, 2021, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Well, I can do without the smell of burnt rubber and VHT. However if the guys used a lot of nitromethane they do burn my eyes "pleasantly".
some guys even add fragrance, makes the ladies tolerate the smell....Hawaii is way out there....hopefully this hurricane season will be a milder one...we had many scares of hurricanes where i live..im 60mi from South Padre Island

Quick Reply