This thread is privately moderated by icarus the 2nd, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 13, 2021, 02:05 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Thread OP
Discussion

FMS RAFALE 80mm EDF

At the end of March 2021 I finally received my long awaited FMS Rafale

Here's my first Rafale vid showing that the plane is perfectly capable to take off from a rather short grass field that doesn't resemble a golf court.

FMS Rafale: world's first vid on a grass runway (4 min 12 sec)

I'll share my mods and more info in the next posts!
Last edited by icarus the 2nd; Apr 17, 2021 at 02:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2021, 02:33 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Thread OP
Here's the list of small mods I did to make the plane grass capable, the main purpose is to make a more positive AoA during take-off resulting in an earlier rotation into the air.

- cut off 2-3mm from the bottom of the main struts to lower the back of the plane somewhat ... some minor foam carving is needed so the main wheels can fit the wheel wells and the main gear doors can close properly
- close the smallair cheater on the belly of the plane just in front of the EDF unit, if you watch my vid carefully you can see that I used some pink tape to cover the cheater ... this prevens a ground sucking effect like a vacuum cleaner
- raise the front landing gear somewhat by replacing both front wheels with slightly bigger diameter wheels (45mm), some minor foam carving in the front wheel well is needed so the front gear door can close properly

Quick Reply