Apr 11, 2021, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Escapade MX

I just finished and got in a few flights on my Escapade MX powered by a Thunder Tiger 46. The Cg is balanced exactly to specification at two and three quarters back from the leading edge. On landing approach as I applied up elevator to flare out it sank a little too hard onto the runway. Tried another landing approach at a little higher speed and just before touchdown it sank again while applying full up elevator which is 3/4 inch. It seems that the specified CG must be considerably off. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Dave
Last edited by Laquin; Apr 11, 2021 at 06:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2021, 07:36 AM
Something tells me that 2 1/2 inches to a kinda bit too far forward, the assemble manual says that you can shift back 1/2 inch so for starters try the next flight at 2 3/4 and if that dont improve the smoothness of the landing go to 3 inch. I just bought this plane last weekend from a swap meet so i have not taken time to look over the plane my self but when i do i can talk some more on my experience.

Have you programmed your transmitter to go from low rates to high rates. The manual says that your 3/4 inch throw is low rates.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1200-manual.pdf
Last edited by Gatortail; May 02, 2021 at 08:02 AM.
May 02, 2021, 07:42 AM
You've got the wrong forum. Switch to 'Fuel Plane Talk'.

I've never had an Escapade, but since we're here, CG specs are sometimes way too conservative, meaning too far forward. If you were using that much elevator and coming in at a fairly high speed I would suspect you're right about the CG being too far forward.

Fly the plane at a cruise, trim for level flight, then without changing throttle, put into a dive, build up some speed and release the stick. Most people like a plane trimmed to have a gradual pullout. If it pull out rapidly the CG is too far forward. Experiment with moving it back.

If you are worried about moving it back too much, use an online calculator that accounts for wing area, stab area, chord, and tail arm. Use that to find a rearward limit. Stay ahead of that and you'll be safe. But if you move the CG back gradually and assess each time you'll be safe anyway.

Quick Reply