40A Cap 232 Stevens AeroModel Part 5 - RC Groups
Jun 26, 2005, 09:33 PM
Giddy up!
Edit:

You'll find the last part of this thread at the following link:

40A Cap 232 Stevens AeroModel Part 4

Finally maidened my Cap tonight, too much baseball with the kids since early spring.

Anyways it definately flys much better than #1, since it's 13 ozs lighter. The Axi 2826 is much improvement over the 2820. Knife edge loops were easier. Great flyer but I need a 4s...

Here's a short video of flight #2 - ~10mb...

http://www.salc.rchomepage.com/videos/Cap40e-2.wmv
Last edited by GregG; Jun 26, 2005 at 11:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2005, 09:43 PM

CF Langing Gear

I couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to try carbon fiber landing gear for the Cap. I have attached a few photos. So far I am very pleased with the result. I bought the Kantana 40 gear from TNT (very rapid service by the way). It looks somewhat Cap-like:

http://www.tntlandinggear.com/store/...nding_gear.htm

I flew it several times at the RAMS electric fly-in south of Seattle yesterday and they were rock solid landing on a medium grassy runway that caused flip overs for more than a few park-flyers during the day. The ultimate test came later when I ran out of "gas" a ways out and didn't make it back to the field. I came down in a very rough ploughed dirt field. The gear poped off with no damage. I wan't sure that the 4 x 8-32 nylon screws would be strong enough but based on yesterday's experience I am feeling they are spot on.

I added 4 hardwood blocks where the screws would go and then sheeted the area with 1/16" ply carefully epoxyed to the blocks and the existing structure. You can see the slight raise, under the solarsilm, where the 1/16" ply is. The AUW is now 51oz so this mod added 2-3oz.
Jun 26, 2005, 10:37 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
Sal C,

Turned out beautiful and the video was amazing. I too am having trouble completeing my in because of other life obligations. Hope to have it completed soon and covered by early July.

In covering, when you did the top of the wing, did you layer the blue over the yellow, or how??

OH and how many rolls of yellow did it take? manual calls for 2-3 rolls of covering. Which is it?
Mike
Jun 26, 2005, 11:18 PM
Giddy up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
...In covering, when you did the top of the wing, did you layer the blue over the yellow, or how??

OH and how many rolls of yellow did it take? manual calls for 2-3 rolls of covering. Which is it?
Mike,

I layered the blue over the yellow since it was just a short strip (~1.5" wide). Solite is tough to do without getting bubbles, I was patient and it turned out pretty good. I used a little more than one roll of yellow but the bottom of mine is dark blue. I'd say overall the manual is correct, 2-3 total...
Jun 26, 2005, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal C
Mike,
Solite is tough to do without getting bubbles, I was patient and it turned out pretty good. I used a little more than one roll of yellow but the bottom of mine is dark blue.
Bummer, I only bought one roll of yellow and one roll of dark blue (I have red econo cote). I have a whole roll of Ultra coat yellow that I could try and use in places, but with the semitransparent nature of the solite, I really do not know where I would put the heavier film. I guess I will need to order another roll. Seems like a waste.

Mike
Jun 26, 2005, 11:34 PM
Also, I have heard of some using a spray bottle of water to mist the under cover, applying the top color, and then squeege the water out before applying heat to prevent air bubbles ?!? does this help?

Mike
Jun 27, 2005, 07:16 AM
Hey Mike!

I am getting a covering lesson today from the famous John McNees who described a solution of water and soap to use when adding layers. He also informed me of a ready-made solution that is the "best" product for this purpose. Apparently you have be careful with this method because of residue when using your iron. I will let you know what that product is after I talk to John. If you have ever seen his covering jobs they are outstanding. He works for Ohio Model Planes.

Plasticman.
Jun 27, 2005, 07:26 AM
Sal C, Diesel 10,

Those are some really nice looking planes. I have not flown my 40e for several weeks as I have two builds going at once: A Fliton 330 Freestyle and a SA-Stella. I am really looking forward to the Stella being finished as the SA models are outstanding crafts.

Plasticman.
Jun 27, 2005, 11:28 AM
A Clinger
Quote:
Great flyer but I need a 4s...
Gee Whiz, how much power do you need ! Glad your maiden went ok though!
Last edited by rclark; Jun 27, 2005 at 11:40 AM.
Jun 27, 2005, 11:55 AM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Awesome.
Great job on that CF gear

She sure looks great, Sal. 4s is definetely the ticket on the 2826. I liked the 13x8/2826 on 3s setup but it seemed just a bit too 'slow'. 4s would kick it up a notch
Jun 27, 2005, 11:58 AM
TRP
TRP
I really like that Yellow Cap. That's the scheme from the big Hangar 9 Ultimate isn't it?

Awesome looking bird.

Ted
Jun 27, 2005, 02:55 PM
A Clinger
Quote:
13x8/2826 on 3s setup but it seemed just a bit too 'slow'
Did you try the 13x10 or the 14x10 ? I realize that the BARF CAPs fly much faster (I've seen a few fly) but then they weigh 2 times as much, so they have to keep moving just to stay in the air. The beauty of the SA CAP is is doesn't have to be moving 'fast' to stay in the air and look good . Nice wide speed range and seems plenty fast when you open the throttle (I am using the 13x8E) ... We all fly a bit differently though . BTW I did notice quite a difference between my 4400 pack vs my 5200 pack (both 3s2p) . Noticeable increase in performace with the 5200. I figured my Irate 4400 pack is getting 'old' .
Last edited by rclark; Jun 27, 2005 at 04:25 PM.
Jun 27, 2005, 02:58 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Never did try another prop...i think i'd like to try a 12x8 on 4s (i've moved on to a kontronik motor now though)
Jun 27, 2005, 03:35 PM
Giddy up!
I'm using a 14x7e on my 2826 and everything was running pretty cool even on a 95 deg day like yesterday. I have to throw it on the Whattmeter and see, I think I can try a 14x10. If I go to 4s I'll drop back a bit...
Jun 28, 2005, 01:16 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey

Nicely done!

Thanks for the video Sal - agreed on the 4S should be fun

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal C
Edit:

You'll find the last part of this thread at the following link:

40A Cap 232 Stevens AeroModel Part 4

Finally maidened my Cap tonight, too much baseball with the kids since early spring.

Anyways it definately flys much better than #1, since it's 13 ozs lighter. The Axi 2826 is much improvement over the 2820. Knife edge loops were easier. Great flyer but I need a 4s...

Here's a short video of flight #2 - ~10mb...

http://www.salc.rchomepage.com/videos/Cap40e-2.wmv