Sep 27, 2021, 11:58 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
I have a budget chinese 40W Laser machine ... well it was budget when I bought it some years ago ... about $500 and then import taxes etc. (Latvia - EU).

It has air assist .. basically blows the 'smoke' away from the cut ... also stops any flame developing - YES it will make fire if too much power / slow speed.
Vacuum ventilator to flexi hose to put out window etc.
X cross red LED aiming light
Small 'aquarium fishtank' pump to pump water through to cool the laser tube ... I use a large bowl with clean water in and a temp gauge with alarm set at 40C ... the water returns to bowl simply without need for cooler. 10L of water will easily give me an hours cutting before need to change water for colder ...

I had read so much about NOT buying a chinese K40 machine - but I have to say that after so many years - the only part I have changed is the Power Transformer and that was easy and not expensive at all. The machine has been a marvelous tool.

Files ? If I am repairing / replacing parts on a model - I piece together what I have - scan to JPG actual size. Import to Paint. Draw in any part missing / clean up edges etc. Save as a total JPG.

My Laser machine uses Moshidraw - not the best but it works ... and it displays JPG in the work area. I then use the trace tools to outline and then delete the JPG leaving the polyline object. This then is sent to the cutter.

Motor mounts ... all sorts ... a real doddle to do ... I even cut Vinyl Decals including RAF Roundels (making sure exhaust is clear outside as Vinyl cutting produces toxic vapours).

I don't need goggles or eye protection as the lid needs to be closed for machine to start .. and it has Frequency adjusted tinted glass to view work.

Do I recommend ? Most certainly !!
Latest blog entry: Life goes on and new boat
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2021, 12:10 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
…….
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Oct 25, 2021, 11:52 AM
Thread OP

question for you

hi

has anyone used the development / dev wing cam or dev fuselage cam programs to cut parts? any problems importing files to the laser? what file format do i need to save files to?

can it be done?

i am making simple parts like ribs and formers3 mm max wood. the manufacture has a program that i need to import files also.

thanks
Oct 25, 2021, 11:01 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
I know Devcad will save in .dxf (drawing interchange format) and you can import .dxf files into RDWorks (which is what I use with my laser. So, number one, see if Dev Wing or Dev Fuselage will save in .dxf, then see if your lasers software will import .dxf files. .dxf files. Don't try to just open them you normally have to import them (at least in RDWorks you do).

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Nov 13, 2021, 09:33 AM
treefinder
Mack5 , if you are still searching, this thread may be some help: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ser-cutter-kit
We discuss programs and setup for a diode laser machine. I included links to rcg threads where practical "how to do it" is presented.

Hopefully you have already got this, but as several others emphasized, getting correct goggles and wearing them religiously whenever you turn on your machine is imperative! Also, one must insure no family member or other person wanders into the area.

No doubt a cheap diode laser is not the optimum tool, but depending on the need and frequency of use it can serve relatively well for a lot less$ than a CO2 laser and it has the potential for more than just laser cutting. I set my machine up with a laser head (currently 2.5 watt for wood engraving, paper, cloth and film cutting), needle cutter head ( for white styrofoam which diode lasers don't touch) and spindle cutter for wood, etc.

Quick Reply