Apr 10, 2021, 09:31 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Discussion

RJL Engines

I was browsing ebay this morning and ran across a RJL .61. I really don't know anything about this brand. Does anyone know the history and how they line up against others as far as power and durability?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RJL-Engine-....c100010.m2109

It has a strange looking muffler?

Last edited by RC Man; Apr 10, 2021 at 09:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2021, 09:38 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
I see that MECOA has purchased that brand.

From the MECOA web pages:
"Randy Linsalato started RJL Industries in the late 1970's with the purchase of the Kraft .61 engine line. Since then he has acquired all the engine line seen on mecoa.com including K&B Manufacturing."

"The RJL K.61 is without a doubt the highest quality .61 produced in the U.S.A. Originally the Kraft .61, Randy Linsalato purchased the product line in 1980 and began producing model engines. Today, RJL (MECOA) uses the latest computer controlled machinery providing exacting tolerances."

Is that just pushing your products or are they really that good?

Apr 10, 2021, 11:25 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
They’re just pushing their product line. I can think of a few other engine makes I’d put at or above anything Mecoa sells/manufactures.

I don’t think they’re making much these days. I’d bet the majority of what they’re selling is old stock.
Apr 10, 2021, 01:01 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I see that MECOA has purchased that brand.

From the MECOA web pages:
"Randy Linsalato started RJL Industries in the late 1970's with the purchase of the Kraft .61 engine line. Since then he has acquired all the engine line seen on mecoa.com including K&B Manufacturing."

"The RJL K.61 is without a doubt the highest quality .61 produced in the U.S.A. Originally the Kraft .61, Randy Linsalato purchased the product line in 1980 and began producing model engines. Today, RJL (MECOA) uses the latest computer controlled machinery providing exacting tolerances."

Is that just pushing your products or are they really that good?

Marketing hype. At best they were a relatively reliable "run of the mill" sport 60 size engine. Nothing spectacular.
Apr 10, 2021, 01:19 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
OK Thanks. I am mainly a Super Tigre collector for old engines (Jett for new engines). I will stick to a brand that I know and like.

Been mostly flying my ST .75s and Jett .60 so far this year. Both are incredibly good running engines.

Apr 10, 2021, 03:04 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
OK Thanks. I am mainly a Super Tigre collector for old engines (Jett for new engines). I will stick to a brand that I know and like.

Been mostly flying my ST .75s and Jett .60 so far this year. Both are incredibly good running engines.

You can't go wrong with Super Tigres, Jetts and Rossi's.
Apr 10, 2021, 07:09 PM
Max Tenet
The RJL is a very good engine. Don't listen to those who never owned one. I'm frankly sick of people commenting on engines they know nothing about. Its like reviewing a movie you never saw based on the title.

Here is a review of the engine which shows it is well worth considering.

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...RJL%20K61.html

Max
Apr 10, 2021, 07:58 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tenet
The RJL is a very good engine. Don't listen to those who never owned one. I'm frankly sick of people commenting on engines they know nothing about. Its like reviewing a movie you never saw based on the title.

Here is a review of the engine which shows it is well worth considering.

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...RJL%20K61.html

Max
The RJL is a good sport engine. However that is really a relatively term isn't it. You take the Kraft/RJL 60 and compare to the OS 61 SF/RF the Kraft/RJL was a short stroke engine putting out 1.32 horsepower when the OS 61SF/RF and the YS 61R were putting out closer to 1.8 horsepower. Which one would you use when you need that extra little oomph to get the pattern plane up the vertical line.

So don't be sick. Yes I have played with the Kraft engines back in the 80's.

According to the article you linked with the RJL spins an 11 X 8 prop to 11,500 rpm with 15% nitro in the fuel.

Take a look at this video/movie and review the movie yourself. I ran my OS 61RF in recent days (February 16, 2021). Fuel is zero percent nitro. Propeller is 13 X 8 APC. Take a look at the max RPM on the tachometer on the right. The engine peaked at 11,900 rpm and I didn't run it at peak yet.

OS 61 RF base line test run (1 min 1 sec)

I don't review movies that I did not see. I play with engines that I owned and report first hand information instead of posting links of second hand information.

"The RJL K.61 is without a doubt the highest quality .61 produced in the U.S.A."

If the RJL is the highest quality .61 produced in the USA no wonder why no one was using it in competition. It never stood a chance against the Webra's, Super Tigres, O.S's, YS's and Rossi's. Besides the Kraft/RJL pales in comparison to the quality of a Dub Jett engine.

The RJL is most likely comparable to the OS 61 FX.
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Apr 10, 2021 at 08:06 PM.
Apr 10, 2021, 08:19 PM
Max Tenet
Of course its not as powerful as a Y.S. , Jett or Rossi. These are high performance engines costing significantly more. I own all of these as well. Don't know about the OS 61 Rf although it is an FIRE engine so probably more of an expensive performance engine. My point is that it is a pretty good engine for the money.

Max

P.S. the one on ebay is overpriced. they usually go for right around $100.00
Apr 10, 2021, 08:37 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tenet
Of course its not as powerful as a Y.S. , Jett or Rossi. These are high performance engines costing significantly more. I own all of these as well. Don't know about the OS 61 Rf although it is an FIRE engine so probably more of an expensive performance engine. My point is that it is a pretty good engine for the money.

Max

P.S. the one on ebay is overpriced. they usually go for right around $100.00
The OS 61RF and SF shared a lot of the same parts and performance are very similar between the two engines. It is more a matter of the plane design and how the user wanted to mount the engine and exhaust.

Yes I did make the distinction that the Kraft/RJL 61 are very good reliable "run of the mill" sport engine. No bad habits and runs fine. However I also called out the claimed that it was the best US production engine. I think that was definitely a marketing hype. Anytime a manufacturer claimed what he has is the best I take a step back and like to compare. That's the marketing department talking. They have to sell engines.

Of course we pay for performance. The Dub Jett equivalents are in the $300 to $400 range. The OS 61RF/SF are closer to $150 to $200 for a new old stock if they are available. The RJL is very much like the OS 61 FX and runs around $100. Definitely not a bad price for a 61 size engine. From my understanding the OS 65AX is a bit more powerful but I never run one yet. That is still in current production.

I would love to compare an RJL to the Clarence Lee K & B 61 or the Fox Eagle 3. I never owned a K & B 61 by Clarence Lee. I only played with a regular stock K & B 61 and it was pretty much another good sport engine. I never fired up my Fox Eagle 3 so I have no idea what it was like.

Another thing is that I was tailoring my post to the question from the OP. I followed RC Man's posts and I do realized he has been using a lot of Super Tigre engines and recently acquired a Dub Jett 60. He also mentioned he ran Rossi engines before and still has them. So I suspect he has a certain expectations to the engine performance.

While we are on the subject of good sport engines. The HP and HB engines were a bit controversial in my opinion. I had both and again they were fine and reliable engines. However there are some users nowadays swear that they were the cat's meow.

Another one is the Webra Speed .61. The Webra's were used quite extensively in F3A competition but they were eventually overshadowed by the Super Tigres and the O.S. However some users again claimed they are the most powerful engines. I still have one rebuilt with a brand new piston ring. It is not even broken in yet. I really should play with it more and post some videos. It is not a super power house but again a nice engine nevetheless.
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Apr 10, 2021 at 08:48 PM.
Apr 10, 2021, 08:50 PM
The Kraft engines AKA RJL engines are pretty good. They were popular for classic pattern flying back then too. A lot of sport flyers wanting good performance opted for the kraft or RJL engines too. Nothing wrong with getting and using the RJL engines.
Apr 11, 2021, 04:15 AM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
The HP and HB engines were a bit controversial in my opinion. I had both and again they were fine and reliable engines. However there are some users nowadays swear that they were the cat's meow.
it really depends on what kind of meow you prefer, isn't it? I really loved the HB engines and would not hesitate for one minute to buy and fly one again.
Reliable and durable they are, and what is more important, they were not fragile or sensitive. Nice wide tolerances meaning they were not killed by a dusty runway or such, and you could work on them with the simplest of tools. I landed in a ditch once or twice in the early days, and the HB engines were ideal for field disassembly.
Rinse the parts out with a bit of fuel, reassemble and off they went. Not many nowaday engines you could do that with,

Performers, they are most definitely not....

Don't know much about HP...
Apr 11, 2021, 10:42 AM
I admire the fact that MECOA makes a lot of engines but it is sure hit or miss if what you want is available. I like many of the engines he makes but have only got to try a few. I wonder how that MECOA .46 stacks up? The RJL and K&B engines are all sport engines. There are so many engines listed, makes me wonder if he will make many of the other ones anytime soon.
Apr 11, 2021, 12:46 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
it really depends on what kind of meow you prefer, isn't it? I really loved the HB engines and would not hesitate for one minute to buy and fly one again.
Reliable and durable they are, and what is more important, they were not fragile or sensitive. Nice wide tolerances meaning they were not killed by a dusty runway or such, and you could work on them with the simplest of tools. I landed in a ditch once or twice in the early days, and the HB engines were ideal for field disassembly.
Rinse the parts out with a bit of fuel, reassemble and off they went. Not many nowaday engines you could do that with,

Performers, they are most definitely not....

Don't know much about HP...
Maybe that's one of the reasons why the HB engines were used in UAV's. Reliability is important.
Apr 11, 2021, 02:03 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
My opinion are that HP engines are excellent with good power. HB engines just don't have very good power compared to other engines of the same size.

I only owned one Webra engine and the carb gave me problems.

Quick Reply