Apr 07, 2021, 05:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

How to trigger a flight mode with two different switches

Hi,

Here's the scenario:
I have a DL glider with three flight modes activated by a 3-position switch; CRUISE, SPEED and THERMAL. SPEED mode is also used when discus launching the glider.

What I want to do is have the SPEED mode to ALSO be activated by pressing the button switch (right before launch) and have CRUISE mode to be activated when moving the elevator stick (when reaching the highest altitude after launch). This should work while the 3-position switch is in the cruise position.

I havent been able to find how to activate a flght mode with two different switches, one of them being a toggle switch ... I'm sure logic switches are involved but my brain has not been able to solve this.

Not looking for the full recipe, maybe just a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2021, 09:57 PM
Some Jeti competition DLG guys have been using this setup where elevator (pushover) is an active switch. Maybe it will help.
https://www.rc-thoughts.com/2019/07/...and-zoom-mode/

I went a slightly different route because I am a complete rookie & probably years away from actually catching the wing anyways LOL. And it kind of resembles my F5J setup in certain ways. I have 5 flight modes: Launch preset, Zoom, Speed, Normal & Thermal. For launch mode, I move the switch forward which activates the button for Launch Preset (down) or Zoom (release). In this mode Flaps (throttle stick) is deactivated just in case its not fully forward. After pushover I flip switch back to flying mode where Thermal/Normal/Speed is activated This setup uses 2 logical switches but was pretty straihtforward. I've almost got the thermal mode (only) camber adjustment knob figured out but I will hold off for now. It wasn't behaving in prior firmware release but it looks like they fixed something. Again, I am a complete newby so this might not be the right way.
Apr 08, 2021, 09:33 AM
Use 2 logic switches.
Log1, inputs are the button, and the elevator stick with switching point set where you want it to deactivate the speed mode. Logic type is the A on B off. Thus input A, the button, switches it on and input B the stick switches it off.
Log2, inputs are Log1, and the normal speed switch, logic type is OR.
Now set Log2 as the switch for the speed flight mode.
Apr 08, 2021, 01:14 PM
I learned about Logic switches (and many more things!) from Harry's excellent Jeti YouTube videos.
Apr 08, 2021, 01:59 PM
Thread OP
Perfect. Thanks PTX and Harry!
Indeed Harry's videos are amazing.

(BTW Harry: still trying to get my brain around the throttle and speed brakes on the same stick... it works perfectly but still trying to understand the logic behind it).

I gues that I am having trouble with the logic of the "A on B off" operand... In this example, when you press the button, A is on and B is off then Log1 is TRUE. But when you release the button, A is now off and B is off, so then why does Log1 stays at TRUE?

I take this opportunity to thank you for all the great work you put into your videos.
I have learned tons from them.
Last edited by GeorgeE; Apr 08, 2021 at 03:56 PM.
Apr 08, 2021, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeE

I gues that I am having trouble with the logic of the "A on B off" operand... In this example, when you press the button, A is on and B is off then Log1 is TRUE. But when you release the button, A is now off and B is off, so then why does Log1 stays at TRUE?
For both inputs A and B the logic switch does not look at their current state, the input is triggered only by the brief instant of the input passing from OFF to ON.

If A changes from OFF to ON, the output goes ON and stays that way now regardless of what A does. Even if B is already at the ON state which will turn the switch output OFF, A can turn it ON because the logic switch does not look at the current state of B, it is looking for a change of state of B from OFF to ON. So once the output is ON, the only way to turn it OFF is for B to move from OFF to ON.
Apr 09, 2021, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Aha!! (As you say in you videos)
That makes perfect sense now.

I also now understand the throttle and brakes on the same stick trick!!

Much appreciated, Harry

Quick Reply