What the Heck Wednesday - Goodbye GeeBee R2

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a sweet looking and flying GeeBee R2 and I feel very sad right now.

Splash

GeeBee R2 Lands in a Tree

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a sweet looking and flying GeeBee R2 and I feel very sad right now. Maybe it's the music or maybe it's just that I love the GeeBee R2 and you see so few of them around, but either way this one is gone for good. The 160cc 7 cylinder UMS radial engine sounds amazing as it the plane lifts off and heads skyward for the final time. It looks smooth and makes one left hand turn before rolling over and nailing a tree on the downwind portion of the pattern. The sound of that crack when it hits the trees is traumatizing and I'm sure the pilots heart felt it as much as the plane did.

So what really happened here? The video comments say it was pilot error, but what was the error exactly? Did he lose orientation and roll the wrong direction? What it just an intended roll with too low of an altitude to miss the tree line? Let us know what you think happened in the comments below.

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Apr 07, 2021, 07:33 AM
AMA 537620
That video just makes me sad.

Bad aileron servo or a glitch. But it looks like a mechanical issue.
Apr 07, 2021, 08:22 AM
Design Engineer
ouch....

looks like, during the final roll, the plane started to head towards the ground. Whether or not the pilot was applying forward pressure on the elevator to keep the nose up I can't tell. But I think that is where the error lies.

As soon as it starts heading back to earth, inverted, the pilot probably got nervous as the plane passed behind/thru the first tree. Then once he survived that and seemed to have good control, he didn't truly see where the plane was in reference to the next wall of trees.

I would say some minor pilot error and potentially some mechanical issues with the elevator.
Apr 07, 2021, 10:15 AM
Pro Hoarder
That looked like mechanical failure or radio ..too bad they had to cut a big tree down just to get model plane wreck..
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 07, 2021, 11:20 AM
Whoops!
Apr 07, 2021, 11:20 AM
Almost recovered it before losing sight behind the tree. Bummer!

I think he rolled it and was cranking hard on the elevator to pylon turn when it snapped into a stall.
Apr 07, 2021, 02:25 PM
AeroDan
Light at the end of the LONG tunnel; at least ship #2 is in progress. AVOID that airplane-eating tree-line!!!!
Apr 07, 2021, 04:46 PM
A man with too many toys
Last crash I had was hitting a tree. Sad!
Apr 07, 2021, 09:15 PM
Modeling Retread
Anybody see the other fallen tree and wonder what crashed into it? Buy the Tree? I’ve heard of “buy the farm” in relation to airplane crashes.
Apr 07, 2021, 11:23 PM
high speeed stall
Apr 08, 2021, 06:52 AM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3
Anybody see the other fallen tree and wonder what crashed into it? Buy the Tree? I’ve heard of “buy the farm” in relation to airplane crashes.
Pretty sure they meant that you need to actually purchase the tree in order to cut it down...
Apr 08, 2021, 07:22 AM
I think the GeeBee aircraft designer at Granville Brothers had a death wish.
Apr 08, 2021, 09:31 AM
AeroDan
There's a reason they called it the "widow-maker".
Apr 08, 2021, 05:01 PM
Gee Bee......unstable at any speed!
Apr 08, 2021, 10:52 PM
Hmm.... Sorry to see any plane go down, but is there no tree climbers, or tree service, or anyone that could have recovered the plane without cutting down a tree that might be 100yrs old?

That's just stupid in this day and age when there's services(not necessarily airplane retrieval) that could handle that recovery. How many trees were damaged when the plane's tree went down?... at least a few more.. yeah. As well as more damage probably to the plane. How many birds had nests in that tree?

That's a truly what the heck... and could be construed as a reason to frown on model planes... I don't frown on model planes obviously, but I do frown on people that destroy wildlife and vegetation to this degree... so yeah... what the heck. This video is troubling. Way to go.

Quick Reply