Thread Tools
Apr 06, 2021, 12:51 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

CCM Vantage F3F/F3B


I have one of these on order and wanted to introduce it here on rcgroups because the CCM toy has quite the following these days. I know of someone who has the toy and the vantage and said he preferred the vantage so I decided to take a leap and give it a shot. I'm not sure exactly if this fits into my current f3f racing plans as I have fs6 which is supposedly optimized for similar conditions but nonetheless will be good for comparison. I also have on order FS5 double carbon wings and new tails on order so I can use that for fully ballistic conditions. Here is some info from the flightcomp website as I ordered mine from flightcomp/Ali. I seriously wanted a black neon scheme as I missed how cool the precision 2 I had looked and I'm fully aware of the pain it is to keep it covered all the time.

Here is some standard text about the model taken from flightcomp:

The VANTAGE is a pure competition model specially designed for the F3F class. The aim of the development was to give the competition pilot a “vantage” over the competition especially in medium to weak weather conditions.

It is intended to sensibly expand the fleet of a competition pilot, not replace it. Following the current trend, the VANTAGE is therefore not necessarily designed as a classic allrounder, but rather as a specialist for certain conditions. But it is precisely this specialization that makes the VANTAGE so interesting even for the ambitious hobby pilot.

Because let’s be honest: How often do you stand on a slope or on the coast and really have THE hammer conditions for world record flights?

During the development of the model, we drew on a wealth of experience and feedback from some of the best competition pilots in the F3F class. Countless competition flights were also analyzed.

In this way, specific accents (fuselage design, aspect ratio, …) could be set and completely new profiles for the wing developed.

Special attention was paid to an excellent performance in the lower and medium lift range without having to accept significant losses in real speed flight.


Some videos about it:

Vantage F3F, F3B. A new RC glider from CCM. (20 min 6 sec)



And flying (Looks like it has some speed ):

VANTAGE F3f/F3b (0 min 52 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2021, 09:04 PM
Registered User
I've been thinking about getting back into F3F after an almost 2 decade break. That is a very interesting design philosophy for the " average " days. It makes a ton of sense. Three years of flying f3f comps for anything/everything localish and I only remember seeing truly great conditions ONE day where anybody that could fly a half decent set of laps was guaranteed a sub 40 ( that was quick back then ).

What is the wait time for an order now days averageish for a new glider?
Apr 06, 2021, 09:43 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinepig
I've been thinking about getting back into F3F after an almost 2 decade break. That is a very interesting design philosophy for the " average " days. It makes a ton of sense. Three years of flying f3f comps for anything/everything localish and I only remember seeing truly great conditions ONE day where anybody that could fly a half decent set of laps was guaranteed a sub 40 ( that was quick back then ).

What is the wait time for an order now days averageish for a new glider?
I ordered it from Ali 2-3 weeks ago and its already on its way. But it was an order already in progress and they had some of the components in stock. I don't think there's any real wait. Having seen the fit and finish of the toy, it will be extremely well built. The fs6 is a plane with a similar design philosophy in that it is supposedly designed more for high 30/low 40s and up and the fs5 is more for super ballistic conditions. There are a lot of excellent f3f gliders out there today time will tell if the vantage is competitive. Supposedly it won in a F3B competition in Japan. This will be in the just something different category for me.
Apr 12, 2021, 05:16 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfreestyler
I ordered it from Ali 2-3 weeks ago and its already on its way. But it was an order already in progress and they had some of the components in stock. I don't think there's any real wait. Having seen the fit and finish of the toy, it will be extremely well built. The fs6 is a plane with a similar design philosophy in that it is supposedly designed more for high 30/low 40s and up and the fs5 is more for super ballistic conditions. There are a lot of excellent f3f gliders out there today time will tell if the vantage is competitive. Supposedly it won in a F3B competition in Japan. This will be in the just something different category for me.
Well the Soaring USA folks had a few FS6 show up the other day so........ I'll see you guys for round 4 if it happens on the backup date, if not round 5.
Last edited by Pinepig; Apr 12, 2021 at 05:23 PM.
Apr 12, 2021, 05:40 PM
Registered User
Excellent!
Apr 13, 2021, 08:27 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Ok, got notification that it has arrived and payment sent so it should be here soon.
Apr 16, 2021, 01:19 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Arrived today well packed but unfortunately one wing was damaged in transit, awaiting response from flightcomp. I always add extra padding on tips when shipping for this reason. I am sure ups dropped it on its side.
Apr 16, 2021, 01:56 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
So one thing I already don't like is the ballast. It comes with a super hefty steel joiner which I do like but the ballast is lead and the tolerances are so tight some pieces don't fit well. Particular care needs to be made on orientation because they are trapezoidal when sliding them in and in a race situation sometimes you don't have a lot of time to make a change and it seems like a big hassle. You would have to label each piece with a permanent market, but the marker won't stick for long. The tolerances are so tight you couldn't even paint them. My hands were covered in lead after handling it a few times. This is clearly a negative and given the market for f3f ships.

A normal rectangular brass ballast would be easy fix. I have some brass precision 2 ballast that seems to work in backwards compartment and not sure about forward compartment. I may make up some rectangular brass that doesn't have an issue with orienting the ballast correctly.
Apr 16, 2021, 03:18 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfreestyler
Arrived today well packed but unfortunately one wing was damaged in transit, awaiting response from flightcomp. I always add extra padding on tips when shipping for this reason. I am sure ups dropped it on its side.

I feel for ya. It was a bad week for shipping gliders. My Freestyler 6 showed up yesterday with 2 beautiful clear as day footprints on the shipping box. Left a nice compression ding right on the spar of the right wing panel.
Apr 16, 2021, 04:16 PM
∑(No,12k,Lg,17Mif)
PDX Slope Pilot's Avatar
I'm feel bad for both of you. There is nothing more frustrating to me than getting a damaged model. The shipping company must have really gorilla-handled that FS6 package because SUSA has great boxes and packs them well. Hope everything works out for both of you.
Apr 16, 2021, 04:47 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinepig
I feel for ya. It was a bad week for shipping gliders. My Freestyler 6 showed up yesterday with 2 beautiful clear as day footprints on the shipping box. Left a nice compression ding right on the spar of the right wing panel.
Bummer!
Apr 16, 2021, 04:56 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot
I'm feel bad for both of you. There is nothing more frustrating to me than getting a damaged model. The shipping company must have really gorilla-handled that FS6 package because SUSA has great boxes and packs them well. Hope everything works out for both of you.
Must have been a short fat guy, needed to put BOTH feet on the box to get 6" higher.
Apr 16, 2021, 09:49 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
So contacted Ali and we will work something out but the good news is I can build this one and get it flying so I will have to do some repairs to make it flyable. I have to say even though I run bayagliders.com Ali is one of the best in the business with customer service. I tremendously respect this guy and his business and I do everything I can to try and support him.
Apr 16, 2021, 10:49 PM
Registered User
planekrazy's Avatar
Guys, I am sorry to see that.

Miguel that is nice of you to say and you are a pro as well.
Apr 17, 2021, 12:56 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by planekrazy
Guys, I am sorry to see that.

Miguel that is nice of you to say and you are a pro as well.
Thank you Sir!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion F3X Wireless Timing System by Simon Watts - F3F and F3B David Olson Multi Task F3X 173 Apr 15, 2021 06:13 AM
Discussion F3F and F3B G_T Multi Task F3X 14 May 17, 2019 05:02 AM
New Product Judge f3f/f3b Filip Kalensky Multi Task F3X 59 May 04, 2019 02:49 PM
Discussion F3B/F3F planes timmig Multi Task F3X 0 Jul 07, 2016 10:35 PM
Discussion Power consumption in F3F, F3B and similar models czyno Multi Task F3X 12 Jan 17, 2016 06:54 AM