Apr 05, 2021, 10:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Top Worst Electric Planes ✈️

So I decided to make this discussion now in hopes to find the worst airplanes you have owned. Previously it was top best and top worst but, I think everyone including me wants to know what the public is thinking. Any electric rc aircraft from any company works. Please feel free to share pictures and details. My hope is that at the end we can find the worst rc plane and have a little fun and banter.
Last edited by Ideasman; Apr 06, 2021 at 01:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2021, 10:21 PM
Sox n Sandals
This will be an interesting thread! In my limited experience:
Best
1. E-Flite T-28 Trojan on 4S power
2. Arrows Hobby Marlin 64mm EDF
3. Freewing T-33 80mm EDF
4. E-Flite S15e Apprentice

Worst
1. Freewing F-22 Raptor 64mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Apr 05, 2021, 11:16 PM
Best:
1. Wots Wot foam-e
2. Mini UltraStick
3. UMX Yak54

Worst:
1. UMX P3
2. UMX Carbon Cub
3. UMX A10 (only 'cos it' nose keeps breaking)
Apr 06, 2021, 02:51 AM
This is difficult. There are too many planes I like.. note that I rank the models as “fun for my liking and flying style”. In my current fleet:

Best:
1. UMX Waco
2. E-Flite Hurricane
3. Robbe Gnat

Worst:
1. UMX Gee Bee
2. UMX Aero Commander
3. TonyRay Sopwith Camel
Apr 06, 2021, 04:35 AM
Best:
1. Durafly EFXtra
2. Parkzone P-47, converted to 4S(1250kv motor)
3. Sonic Modell HD 1213mm wing, or E-flite F-27 Evo, with non E-flite ESC

Worst:
1. UMX Yak 54
2. Foam board F-35
3. E-flite V900 or Durafly Buffalo or E-flite 64mm F-15 EDF
Apr 06, 2021, 05:18 AM
Beach Bum
Best (just three?)
Freewing F-22. 64mm 4s
Freewing F/A-18. 64 mm 4s
Flex Innovations QQ Extra 300
Durafly Spitfire 1.1 m
Revolto from RCFactory
UMX A-10 !

Worst
Freewing Morey
Blitz F4F Wildcat
Eflite Ultimate 3d
UMX Turbo Timber
Apr 06, 2021, 12:54 PM
Compare similar model types, not 3D to scale prop or jet models
Apr 06, 2021, 01:14 PM
Poll police! ...
Apr 06, 2021, 01:42 PM
Thread OP
I think an easier way or a funnier thing would be to just say what plane you would never recommend to anybody and why. I think probably that would entail the discussion better and hopefully make this fun. Like this

Plane : Sebart Wind 50e

Horrible customer support, horrible quality. I literally got it and the nose cone broke when I was handling it. I mean the plane physically was gorgeous but, the design was absolute garbage. The canopy screws where really hard to get off. I wish I had pictures I mean the plane was literally coming apart from just handling it lightly!
Apr 06, 2021, 10:09 PM
Damage is expected
This is a tough one for me. My opinion of "the worst electric plane" depends on the perspective I'm using. In general I've found:
EDF - usually shorter flight times and noisy
Planes with fixed gear - All that drag!
Planes with retractable gear - will the retracts work? Something else to fiddle with.
Belly landers - scrape, prop strike. What taxi back?
Foamies - hanger rash, poor wind penetration, little snob appeal
Balsa - Yep, it's your dad's plane,
Warbirds - worse, it's your grandad's plane and your grandmother probably sewed the upholstery. Don't touch it.
Piper Cubs: It flies! It flies pretty well! It looks like an "airplane" and you will probably land it. I have three of them - now what do I do?
Pusher props - can we say noisy?

Oh, did I say I've returned to slope soaring? I'll just leave this here.
Apr 06, 2021, 11:32 PM
DFS#000178
Worst electric plane I ever owned was the Pilot-1 Stinson Voyager.

And the only reason it was 'bad' is I'm 100% sure my ARF was pieced together out of spares from other boxes. This was right at the end of Hobby Lobby's (then Hobby Express) run and I'm pretty sure they'd checked out. Everyone was kind of surprised that they got a last run of balsa planes in. But I don't think they actually did. I think they took spares and put together enough of them to sell as complete airframes...

Mine didn't come in an OEM box. Mine had parts that were clearly constructed at different times and were different ages. EVERYTHING was warped and the left H-stab wasn't the same airfoil as the right. There was no way to connect the left and right elevators so I had to run 2 elevator servos. The pull-pull rudder was completely unusable and I had to order a Dubro replacement.

When it finally went together it flew okay but I traded it to someone who promptly ripped the landing gear out of it on a not-all-that-bad landing. Who knows where it is now? Good riddance.
Apr 07, 2021, 03:30 AM
jofro
This is the worst one in my current E-powered fleet. No wonder I got it free of charge, someone expecting me to do a review of it. LOL.
Apr 07, 2021, 06:59 AM
The foamboard F-35 has got to be about the dumbest "plane" I have ever bothered with... Desperately needs ailerons. As is it's a loud, obnoxious, barely controllable waste of time. Edges out the UMX Yak 54, a stupid little chirpy chunk of a packaging peanut...
Apr 07, 2021, 07:29 AM
WJH
WJH
A Humbled Pilot
Anything RTF.
Seriously. Components are cheapened to meet a price point. The entire purpose of the model is for the company to make money, not give you the best quality.
I REALLY like my Freewing Avanti S, but it also suffers from cheap components where applicable.
The best of course is anything you build yourself, either from a kit or scratch, where you source your own components. The old hats in this hobby know this. Can't say I have any sympathy for the instant gratification crowd.
Apr 07, 2021, 07:32 AM
Sokol
bad: Flyzone Extra 300SX.

total disappointment.
Last edited by JureZ; Apr 07, 2021 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply