May 04, 2021, 03:04 PM
"Sport 3Der For Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
OK, got it this time. Sorry for the confusion.

Combine that with low margins, and staying in business has got to be hard.

Because they are so cheap, efficient, practical and reliable. Oh ...... wait.

Sweet fire...
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2021, 03:05 PM
3D Addict
These wind turbines are just a bad deal all the way around (dad joke)
Jun 07, 2021, 01:13 PM
Ordered a blue NG to compliment my broken in GameBird
Jun 11, 2021, 02:32 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
I had mine delivered to my work....
I don't need any weird looks from the spousal unit.
Jun 12, 2021, 04:20 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
I had mine delivered to my work....
I don't need any weird looks from the spousal unit.
LOL. Don't forget ... they all cost $100. Make sure you write the true value on a sticker and place inside so your heirs can get proper value. Until then - fly like you stole it
Jun 14, 2021, 11:31 AM
Hey folks, I've been wanting to throw an ARF airframe together for quite some time now, and as I have a decent amount of time logged in a full scale Extra 300L, I thought I'd give this bad boy a try. Was really after the scale red/silver scheme, but my impatience won the battle and I've got the blue/white ordered.

Curious, as this is my first "3d" aircraft - are these reasonably capable of slow/stead scale/sport flight? I don't foresee jumping into any crazy 3d maneuvers anytime soon, so hopefully it can be flown like any other pattern flyer.

Second, I'm planning to give an Avian 100amp a try, as I'm running an NX8 (and a Radiomaster TX16S Max which I might attempt to use as well) and like the telemetry features on these ESC's. Anyone running one of these on a similar setup with these XPR-22CC motors?

How about gyros? Is that something I should concern myself with at this point? Was going to just grab a 6 channel Spektrum air RX and make do with that for now, but if I should shoot for an A3SX version I will. I realize there's entire stand along gyros available, but not sure I'm ready to go down that road.

Anyway, hopefully this will be a good choice on my part, as a relative beginner to RC fixed wing (thought I've been flying RC helicopters for about 15 years now) and it'll be smooth sailing!

Lastly, I ordered the 16 x7 prop, servo extensions, servo horns (either going to grab MKS or Savox, though it wax mentioned the Savox will require elongating the fuselage mounting points), but what else is a must grab? Assume an iron for ultracoat? I have a heat gun, but it's for paint drying and gets crazy hot, perhaps I should grab a RC specific gun?

Anything else? Pitch/throw gauge?

Appreciate any and all suggestions and feedback! Excited to dip my feet into this segment of the hobby!
Jun 14, 2021, 03:37 PM
It makes a really nice sport/scale Aerobatic plane. Use the low rate control surface throws recommended for it and balance it at the forward end of the range. Personally, I don’t think a gyro is a necessity for it, but that’s a very personal preference. If you haven’t seen our build/setup video, it has lots of tips pertaining to your questions:

Extreme Flight 6S 60" Class Airframe Build Video (1 hr 22 min 9 sec)
Jun 14, 2021, 03:49 PM
I find a gyro to be nice if you tend to get stuck in high and/or turbulent wind a lot. Set up with low gains, it makes it feel like you're flying a larger plane without getting in the way.

In low or no wind, I don't really notice much difference other than a little less wing rock and more crisp stops after rolls and such. I have a gyro in most of my planes because the wind is relentless where/when I fly, but even then, it's off the majority of the time.

At least that's how I feel about them in my GameBird. My NG should be here tomorrow
Jun 14, 2021, 05:34 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty89m
Hey folks, I've been wanting to throw an ARF airframe together for quite some time now, and as I have a decent amount of time logged in a full scale Extra 300L, I thought I'd give this bad boy a try. Was really after the scale red/silver scheme, but my impatience won the battle and I've got the blue/white ordered.

Curious, as this is my first "3d" aircraft - are these reasonably capable of slow/stead scale/sport flight? I don't foresee jumping into any crazy 3d maneuvers anytime soon, so hopefully it can be flown like any other pattern flyer.

Second, I'm planning to give an Avian 100amp a try, as I'm running an NX8 (and a Radiomaster TX16S Max which I might attempt to use as well) and like the telemetry features on these ESC's. Anyone running one of these on a similar setup with these XPR-22CC motors?

How about gyros? Is that something I should concern myself with at this point? Was going to just grab a 6 channel Spektrum air RX and make do with that for now, but if I should shoot for an A3SX version I will. I realize there's entire stand along gyros available, but not sure I'm ready to go down that road.

Anyway, hopefully this will be a good choice on my part, as a relative beginner to RC fixed wing (thought I've been flying RC helicopters for about 15 years now) and it'll be smooth sailing!

Lastly, I ordered the 16 x7 prop, servo extensions, servo horns (either going to grab MKS or Savox, though it wax mentioned the Savox will require elongating the fuselage mounting points), but what else is a must grab? Assume an iron for ultracoat? I have a heat gun, but it's for paint drying and gets crazy hot, perhaps I should grab a RC specific gun?

Anything else? Pitch/throw gauge?

Appreciate any and all suggestions and feedback! Excited to dip my feet into this segment of the hobby!
Hi, congrats on your purchase! You may have figured this out - Blucor Basher is one of the principals at EF/3DHobbyshop and gives great realistic advice for us . Your heat gun should be enough to tighten any covering. My experience is when you first get it should be almost perfect and you get loose covering after it sees heat cycles like being in the car, hot day, etc. I've never had to take an iron to it unless I'm repairing. They used to ship deflection gages out w certain planes but maybe you need to get one separate.

It will fly like a pussycat on the low rates and slightly forward CG. Gyros are somewhat personal ... I think they serve a purpose on 52 and under for windy days. On a plane this good and a 60-in size, not necessary. They do make 48's fly like 60's. 60's like 74's. These planes have no roll coupling at the right CG. I believe the cutouts are sized at Hitec 7245's which are the entry point servo. Maybe someone can verify. So once you enlarge for a longer one backward compatibility involves rework on the cutout to add some wood.

The Avian ESC's some say are Hobbywing rebranded with the smart system added. They are great ESC's and work well with the Xpower. You can get them from HW direct. Tower Hobbies, etc. Horizon Hobby is trying to lock people up into their system - their batteries did poorly on load tests. Their chargers are extremely overpriced.

EF/3DHS planes have very few peers.
Jun 14, 2021, 07:07 PM
Greatly appreciate all the replies! I stumbled upon that build video shortly after posting my initial message.

As of now, I've got the airframe, XPR-22C, Spektrum 8020T, an iron with "sock" and a digital throw gauge and an Avian 100 amp esc. I thought I'd try the Avian to see what they're all about, plus I've come to appreciate the telemetry - I believe most are correct, and they're a rebranded/tweaked Hobbywing, and I've ran Hobbywing stuff in my helis a fair bit. Hopefully they didn't neuter it somehow and it still plays nice with the X power motor. I've seen a few FB group posts mentioning the Avain series not being compatible with these motors, though another FB post mentioned solving their issues with some programming/timing changes. Worst case scenario I'll swap it for something else

As far as batteries, I'm not married to the Spektrum smart batts, I'll likely grab some Gens Ace in the recommended range. I also have a Powerlab charger so not stuck with the Spektrum G2 1200 (though if I'm being honest, for a quick and easy charger it works well enough)

I'm still debating servos, but can't imagine wanting to go from MKS/Pro-modeler/Savox back to the Hitec, so not terribly worried about removing some material for fitment. That said, I'm not opposed to going with the Hitec either, and I'm not a good enough pilot to tell the difference. What is everyone else running on these 60" EF birds?

I've looked at the Aura 8, and it looks like it'll play nice with my Spektrum RX, so perhaps I'll give one a whirl once I get familiar with the Extra as is.

Also curious to see how my Radiomaster TX16S does with all this stuff - very powerful radio and pretty slick for the price (and I'm coming from Mikado and a Jeti DS-16 that I parted with a few years back).

If anyone has any other helpful suggestions/input just let me know!
Jun 14, 2021, 07:26 PM
I like my Avian ESC’s, fine little units.

I have Mks hv-747 servos in my 60” birds. Expensive but awesome,
Jun 14, 2021, 08:34 PM
I'm fine with the expense if they'll hold up, and all the MKS brushless X5/X8 I've used have been great, but never tried the mini/coreless. Can you confirm that the MKS will in fact require a bit of trimming to fit wings/fuselage etc?

Nice to hear you've been liking the Avian ESC's, I'll let you know if the 100amp plays nice with the recommend 22C motor I picked up with the Extra.

Also, I'm going to keep an eye out for the Red/Silver scheme, I'll tell the wife it's for "spares"
Jun 15, 2021, 08:15 AM
Yes, a bit of trimming. It’s at minute 22 of the build video.

I’ve got a lot of flights on the Avian 100/XPWR22 combo, works fine.
Jun 15, 2021, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone,
My 60 inch NG was just delivered. I have Savox 1261s and need to figure out what I will use for a motor. For the guys that are already flying these what is your favorite motor.

Thanks
Joe
Jun 15, 2021, 02:23 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty89m
Also curious to see how my Radiomaster TX16S does with all this stuff - very powerful radio and pretty slick for the price (and I'm coming from Mikado and a Jeti DS-16 that I parted with a few years back).
I've been using the RadioMaster TX16s for about a year with my quads and all of my fixed wing planes and everyday I'm amazed at what it can do.
I still have my DX8 but it's gathering dust and is unlikely to see any action in the future.
Get the "Amber" Voice pack for OpenTx to expand the library of callouts when flipping switches.

Quick Reply