Apr 05, 2021, 03:34 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for an alternative to the Radian

The Radian has been so very popular. It has also been the first glider recommendation for new members of our club who want their first glider.

However, Horizon Hobby has discontinued everything but the micro Radian. I am looking for an alternative.

Any recommendations?

Easy to fly and highly repairable foam would be the preference. ARF, BnF, receiver ready or RTF would all be acceptible. Prefer something around 2 meter wing span.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2021, 03:49 PM
You canīt go wrong with the Multiplex Easy Glider, a super model. If I could have only one model this would be the one
Greetings
Apr 05, 2021, 03:49 PM
I read someplace that a New and Improved Night Radian is in the works.
Apr 05, 2021, 03:54 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joao
You canīt go wrong with the Multiplex Easy Glider, a super model. If I could have only one model this would be the one
Greetings
I agree! I have two. But where can you buy one in the USA?

The only place I can find them is on ebay from Germany and UK for high prices with high shipping costs.
Apr 06, 2021, 11:30 PM
Sailplane Mafia
If you do a Google search you can still find the night Radian's in stock in some of the lesser known shops.
Apr 07, 2021, 04:20 AM
Maybe just find a radian! Hah.
I have a radian pro w box I would part with.
Flew it only a few times.
My 2 parkzone radians fly great but have hundreds and hundreds of flights on them.
Apr 07, 2021, 02:45 PM
Surely the basements of LISF members are full of Gentle Ladies that can be converted to electric power?
Apr 07, 2021, 05:00 PM
Simply bizarre to pull the plug on one of finest models to come along in at least a generation. Perfect for a newbie yet fun for people who have flown for 50 years. Why Horizon?
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Apr 07, 2021, 06:49 PM
i just picked up a well used radian pro, and within seconds of its first flights, the front hub exploded. i replaced the fuse, the prop, and the spinner, which introduced me to the joy of finding radian parts, or lack thereof. My LHS had a new set of Pro wings, which was a pretty rare find, and i bought them just to have as backup. the only thing I didn't see in my searches were fuselage pushrods, although those would be easy enough to make. But the rest of the plane can be sourced if you look around a bit, ebay and such.
Apr 08, 2021, 01:17 AM
The Radian "Pro", if that's the version with ailerons, isn't usually the one people like.
Apr 08, 2021, 06:45 AM
Ed:
I know it's not a glider, but if you are looking for something for say a youngster that you are trying to bring into the hobby, I suggest the HH, micro, Sport Cub S. I started off with this little 2 oz bird for my grandsons who had a blast with them. I been out in some pretty strong winds and to my amazement, they can handle it. Now my grandsons want to move up to larger sailplanes. I have a few motorized oldies that I will give to them to get them started. After that we will start building some classics together. Baby steps, I call 'em!

I never did see the point of trying to learn to fly on a build up balsa model. Personally, I think foamies are the way to go for the beginners. They are going to make mistakes and foam is just so much more forgiving and easier to repair, imo!

But back to your question.....who makes a good beginner foamie sailplane on this side of the pond? I think you hit the nail on the head.....there aren't any. I think a lot of us would like to know the answer to your question as well. So we will be following this thread with interest.

Cheers!
Lyle
Apr 08, 2021, 08:22 AM

radian out: why o why?

i have been dealing with sailplanes for most of my life. they are my specialty. originally there was only free flight. way later came r/c.
i built from plans, kits, and my own designs. sold kits of my own. ran a hobby shop and had access to the many kits i sold.
and have not known of a sailplane as good, practical, for thermaling, as the plain radian 2 meters.
the other version supposedly intended for aerobatics does not compare.
not only the rad is great for thermaling; is the fastest to get ready for flying.
strong, light, forgiving. affordable. also, i think it could be considered ideal for learning to fly.
and there is nothing in the market that compares to it. not even close.
why the sellers withdrew it is a mystery.

perhaps because sales of gliders have dropped due to the regulations that forbide flying above 400 ft?
it is the only thing that occurs to me.
Apr 08, 2021, 09:40 AM
<<perhaps because sales of gliders have dropped due to the regulations that forbide flying above 400 ft?>>

Probably not. Horizon has plenty of products that make a mockery of 400 ft, which is pretty much being ignored by the modeling public. S2000 (Dennis) and I both fly large scale sailplanes and that market is alive and well. The Achilles of the Radian isi that's its a PITA to remove or attach a wing. The Conscendo is smaller and fits into more cars. That airplane has been very successful and while not a great glider, with a 4S pack it is a hoot to fly. There is certainly a hole in the market for a good powered 2m.
Apr 08, 2021, 10:20 AM

changed?

the original radian wing (that i own) comes in 2 pieces that fit by pressure. there is a carbon fiber spar. you plug it into 1 half wing , plug this into the fuselage, then plug the other half. thats it. and it works just great. i have been flying my rad for several years this way and havent had any problem.
or maybe they changed this? if so, how is it?
sometimes some1 decides to change (improve?) something that works just fine and damage it. could be this case?
still the rad is the greatest ready made thermal sailplane i have ever seen-and used. i still use it regularly.
and for all the other foamies that i have seen, no 1 thermals so easy as this.
Apr 08, 2021, 10:47 AM
The Hobby King Phoenix 2000 and its larger "brothers" might also be interesting

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/volantex...en_us_products

Quick Reply