This thread is privately moderated by siriusflier, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 04, 2021, 08:26 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Mini-Review

E-flite Night Timber X 1.2 BNF

Eflite Night Timber 1200mm BNF

I was at a point in building my last plane when it got stalled because of a faulty esc from the factory. While waiting on a replacement part, I got bored and went looking for my next plane. I was seriously considering the Dynam Primo because I want a high wing near trainer type plane that is a tail dragger. I had read the Primo thread and was close to pulling the trigger when the stimulus came, and I decided I could spend some of that on a new, maybe more expensive plane. Went shopping and decided to get an Eflite Night Timber X, and started reading the thread.

I ordered the Night Timber on Tuesday, 3/26/2021. I got a text saying delivery required a signature and the package would be delivered on Friday, 3/26/2021. I would not be at home during the day, so I asked my 18 year old daughter to sign for it. At 1:15pm Friday, she texted me and said she went outside and the Fedex truck was backing out of the driveway and drove away. I called Fedex and complained, they said it wouldn't happen again. Sure enough, the plane was delivered in good shape about 4pm Saturday. I went outside around 4:30pm and the box was sitting there. Never heard a knock or the truck. No one signed for it, but on Fedex tracking they claim that I signed for the package. So if they have my signature, it is a forgery. Thought about calling Fedex again, but am afraid it could jeopardize future deliveries.

The Dynam Primo PNP normall sells for $189 but is currently $169. The Eflite Night Timber(NT) X BNF is $299. So I was thinking about what differences could justify my purchase of the more expensive plane and decided to write down my thoughts.
1. NT is equipped with a RX, probably worth at least $40 more.
2. NT has LEDs for night flying, worth maybe at least $20.
3. NT has better main landing gear suspension, maybe $20?
4. NT comes with actual hinges instead of foam hinges $20?
5. NT comes with the decals already installed on plane $10?
6. NT comes with optional slats and installation parts $10?
7. NT comes with telemetry if you have right radio/TX $10?
8. NT also has a reversing ESC if transmitter is able $10

Another difference maybe: Night Timber comes with all metal gear servos, I guess the Primo has plastic gear servos, but don't know for sure. 6 metal gear servos could cost $20 dollars more.
May be more, but all of that added together totals to $140 to $160 guesstimated value compared to $110 higher price than the Dynam Primo. So I feel better about spending more for the Horizon Hobby product.

The Night Timber X

The E-flite® Night Timber® X 1.2m combines STOL capabilities with a wing design featuring oversized ailerons and flaps, plus an enlarged rudder and elevator and a more powerful 3S and 4S compatible power system, to deliver 3D performance you'd expect from an all-out aerobat. The Night Timber® X 1.2m has factory-installed, high-visibility LED lights throughout the airframe for flying all day AND all night! It's also equipped with a 60-amp Spektrum™ Avian™ Smart ESC, and the BNF® Basic version is equipped with an AR637TA receiver that offers full-range telemetry including real-time battery voltage, current, temperature and more – along with motor reversing for special ground handling and other capabilities – when using compatible transmitters.
Name: night timber.jpeg
Views: 4
Size: 153.4 KB
Description: Name: ntimber lights.jpeg
Views: 3
Size: 221.9 KB
Description:

Here are descriptions and specifications for the Eflite Night Timber X:

Airfoil Shape: Semi-symmetrical
Approximate Assembly Time: Less than 1 Hour
CG (Center of Gravity): 3.7 in, + or - 0.3 in (95mm, + or - 7mm) back from leading egdge of wing measured at the fuselage
Charger Sold Separately
Completion Level: Bind-N-Fly Basic
Flaps: Yes
Power Type: Electric
Landing Gear: Yes
Minimum Required Radio: 5-channel
Minimum Speed Control: 60A included
Motor Size: 10
Product Length: 41.5 in (1055mm)
Propeller Size: 13x4
Recommended Motor Battery: 3-4S LiPo 2200mAh w/IC3 connector, sold separately
Skill Level: Level 2
Transmitter Range: Full
Wingspan: 47.5 in (1200mm)
Weight from manual: 1613 to 1698 grams
Wheel size: 4.25 inches

RX is AR637TA which was locked but can be unlocked now.

Photos

Here are pictures of the display box:
Name: zntbox.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 532.9 KB
Description: Name: zntbox2.jpg
Size: 478.4 KB
Description: Name: zntbox3.jpg
Size: 483.4 KB
Description: Name: zntbox4.jpg
Size: 472.2 KB
Description: Name: zntbox5.jpg
Size: 475.7 KB
Description: Name: zntbox6.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 601.2 KB
Description: Name: zntbox7.jpg
Size: 556.1 KB
Description:

Pictures of the box contents:
Name: zntbxcntnt.jpg
Size: 497.1 KB
Description: Name: zntbxcnt2.jpg
Size: 456.5 KB
Description: Name: zntwires.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 402.8 KB
Description: Name: zntfusebttm.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 418.5 KB
Description: Name: zntbatcomp.jpg
Size: 495.6 KB
Description: Name: zntcowl.jpg
Size: 395.8 KB
Description: Name: zntplugadptr.jpg
Size: 520.2 KB
Description:
Latest blog entry: E-flite Night Timber X 1.2 BNF
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2021, 08:27 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
My assembly:

I had a couple of other projects that were in line before the Night Timber so I just got to assembly today. First thing I had to do was study up on the Spektrum DX6e transmitter because the only thing I had used it for was Realflight. Then I tried to download the model file for the Night Timber X from Spektrum RC which turned out to be a loss of over an hour and did not produce successful results. But the manual does give a pretty good description of how to set up the transmitter, though it would probably help a lot if you are more familiar with the TX than I am.

Assembly is not difficult if you have some experience, most of the wires are clearly labelled and a lot of them are already plugged in. I almost never follow the exact sequence of assembly, in this case instead of first, I put the main landing gear on second to last, and I still have not installed the prop. I also did the bind sequence before plugging in the wires or putting on any of the wings.

The horizontal stabilizer has a choice of steel or carbon fiber rods for reinforcement. The steel rod is for more 3D type flight to weight down the tail a little more, I chose the carbon fiber rod. It would not be difficult to change it later. Two screws hold the stab in place, then you have to attach the elevator pushrod, and plug in the LEDs. There are actually + and - markings on the plastic near where you plug in the LEDs, but they are very difficult to see.

The main wing has a large reinforcement tube and a plastic bracket to hold it together. The bracket is different front to back, and I couldn't find anything indicating which is the front and which is the back, so I guessed, but got it right. Before attaching the wing, the wires must be plugged in. Two ailerons, two flaps, and four LEDs. All but two of the LED wires are labeled. There is one left over LED socket when all are connected. The hardest part about the wiring is getting it all down away from the servos when mounting the wing. Two large nylon plastic screws hold the wing in place. Good idea to power it up and check the LEDs before fastening the wing, because I had plugged in one set of LEDs wrong and had to re plug it. The plane lights up very well in the dark.
Name: zntcmplt.jpg
Size: 1.02 MB
Description: Name: zntcmplt2.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 508.7 KB
Description: Name: zntled.jpg
Size: 430.6 KB
Description: Name: zntled2.jpg
Size: 382.6 KB
Description: Name: zntled3.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 302.9 KB
Description: Name: zntled4.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 381.3 KB
Description:

I finally attached the main landing gear which takes 8 screws total. But that is not difficult to do.

Two small modifications I did before assembly. First I re routed the battery plug under the battery bay so that the plug comes out at the front of the battery bay for less restriction to inserting the battery. I also made an IC3 to XT60 adapter plug because all of my 3S and 4S batteries have XT60 plugs on them.
Name: zntadapter.jpg
Size: 552.3 KB
Description:

Once I got it all together, I turned it on, and everything except the flaps worked correctly. I may need to assign a switch to the flap channel.
Last edited by siriusflier; Apr 04, 2021 at 09:26 PM.
Apr 04, 2021, 08:27 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Tips and snips
Last edited by siriusflier; Apr 04, 2021 at 09:24 PM.
Apr 05, 2021, 04:58 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
One other small mod I did was to put a slightly larger tail wheel on the plane and secure it with a locking collar. Only adds about 1 gram of weight and is about 8mm larger diameter.

I managed to get the flaps and throttle hold on switches, but would like the flaps on a different switch. I also want to get the flight modes assigned to a switch and set up dual rates.
Name: znttlwhl.jpg
Size: 2.82 MB
Description:

Okay, probably spent another hour, but managed to get the flaps on the switch I wanted them on, and set up dual rates on my switch of choice. Haven't changed expo yet, read somewhere to fly the plane before I do that. I don't think I have the flight modes set up right, but not sure. I think Safe is on no matter where I move that switch.
Last edited by siriusflier; Apr 05, 2021 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add
Apr 05, 2021, 10:59 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I tried again to set up switch B to change between Safe and AS3X, but still don't think I got it. This time I went by what it says in the NTX manual but don't think it worked. Right now I think I am in Safe no matter where the switch is. I did find out by accident that I do have some telemetry.

I weighed the plane without a battery and got 1386 grams.
Then I tried a couple of batteries on for size, a 4S 2600mah at 125 x 34 x 34mm, and a 3S 3300mah at 135 x 43 x 25mm and they both will fit. The 4S at 34mm high just barely squeezes in, don't think you could use much thicker unless it was much shorter. That is one of only two 4S batteries I have, the other is shorter but is only 1500mah. I have several 3S 2200mah batteries. I think a battery up to 54mm wide would fit, and you can see there is a lot of length to work with and for adjusting the COG.
Name: zntxbats.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 651.7 KB
Description: Name: zntxbats2.jpg
Size: 398.2 KB
Description: Name: zntxbat3.jpg
Size: 436.0 KB
Description:
Apr 06, 2021, 09:37 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I studied and tried a bunch more and still have not been able to get the switch set up to turn Safe off. I can fly it this way but would like to be able to switch flight modes.

Last night my youngest daughter came to my room while I had the lights on and the plane plugged in with working LEDs. She said "What's that". So I got her into my room and turned off all the lights. This plane lights up the whole room. I took some photos of planes that are at least 6 feet away and a few feet higher up than the Night Timber:
Name: zntliteup.jpg
Size: 330.3 KB
Description: Name: zntliteup2.jpg
Size: 294.9 KB
Description: Name: zntliteup3.jpg
Size: 287.5 KB
Description:
Apr 10, 2021, 07:00 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Haven't had a chance to do anything with the Night Timber the last few days. The response I got from Horizon Hobby Tech support was this:
"In order to assign the switch make sure you have the following set.

1. Bind to the plane in the safe on instructions.
2. Make sure the switch you intend to assign is assigned to a open channel
3. Make sure you trims are all centered including throttle trim
4. Make sure your travels and duel rates are all set to 100%
5. Make sure you don't have a throttle cut set (live throttle , remove prop for safety)
6. Go through the switch select designation process.

Once assigned the plane will do a wag motion after the 5 toggles to let you know its been assigned. Keep in mind that on a three position switch such as switch B, you will have to move the switch from 0 to 2, as position 1 will have no change. After the assignment has been completed you can set your radio back to your preferred settings.

If all else fails, make a new model memory in the radio, perform no programming except for the switch assignment to the channel. Bind and go through switch designation procedure. Once assigned and working program the rest of the model. "

I have done everything in steps 1 through 6 more than once. Only thing I haven't tried is binding with the bind plug and starting over with a new model.
Yesterday, 05:39 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Last week Horizon Hobby offered free shipping on anything, no minimum, so I ordered 2 Night Timber replacement props, couldn't think of anything else I wanted or needed. I ordered on Friday, 4/09/2021, they were shipped Fedex, and I got them today. Good delivery time. When I got home today, a 17.75 x 12.25 x 6.5 inch box was by my back door. my thought was I haven't ordered anything that would take that big a box, but my last small Horizon Hobby order also came in an oversized box. It was the props, nothing else in the box but paper:
Name: zntprops.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 501.8 KB
Description:

Quick Reply