Jun 25, 2005, 06:40 PM

Who likes building more than flying?

Thats the question.......

I've building and flying for a 1 1/2 years now. Some have been from kits like the GWS warbirds and some from scratch building mostly WW1 designs. but after they are built and flown a few times it gets a little boring , although I don't belong to a club and I mostly fly alone exept for the few who walk by with their oooo's and awwww's and the usual 20 questions.
So is it just me????

thanks
Brian T
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2005, 06:48 PM
No, it's not just you. I like to build at least as much as I like to fly. I also di almost all of my flyung alone. I am retired and go to the field to fly at 5:30-6:00 AM while the wind is down and it is cool. The gassers that fly at the field cannot fly until 9 AM so I have the field all to myself.

Tom Moody
Jun 25, 2005, 06:49 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
There are lots of people that enjoy the building more than the flying.

The challenge of making the model just right is one of the things that got me into the hobby.

With the quality and selection of ARFs out now, and thier low cost, not many people would build at all if they didn't enjoy the challenge of that part of the hobby..
Jun 25, 2005, 06:58 PM
AMA 52726
My dad preferred to build them and have my fly them. I always thought it was because he never could learn to fly, but the more I think about him and our relationship, I can see where he did what was fun for him and got pleasure out of watching me have fun.

I miss him...
Jun 25, 2005, 07:46 PM
Suspended Account
building is much more enjoyable for me. i like to take a bunch of sticks and balsa sheets and make something that flys. it also is very relaxing.
Jun 25, 2005, 10:02 PM
I'm for building - been doing it for 50 years - I do like flying , however if I couldn't fly any longer I would still like to build, it's my hobby or one of them that I most enjoy.
Jun 25, 2005, 11:06 PM
Suspended Account
I put so much effort into my scratch builds and kit bash planes, that I am afraid to fly them. I guess I do like building more than flying. I know that I need to accept the inevitable, but I am one of those people who just doesn't ever want to crash, and if I do, I want the plane to be indestructable. Maybe this will change, as I started building carbon rod/strip reinforced, balsa sheeted/Monokoted foam core scratch builds, that have proved really tough.
On a different note, is how to answer the usual 20 questions at the park? It's like, where do you start? The technolgies and cost ranges are so vast anymore, its impossible to answer. I guess the best answer is to tell them to look up Park Zone, or something RTF company like that, on their home computer.
Jun 25, 2005, 11:41 PM
It's a 50/50 deal for me. If I can't fly I build. I spend as much time in the shop as at the field--maybe more.
At one point I did build more than I flew but that was when I built for my LHS. There were times when I would build 5 planes a week. When I say build I mean build. These were balsa wood trainers,sailplanes and sport planes.
In a good year I would do 150 to 200 planes and there was a guy in town who did more than that. Those were the good ole days.

BM
Jun 26, 2005, 05:54 AM
I find the missus doesn't hassle me as much if I build and fly what I build rather than crash what I buy !. Besides, if I break one I built, I can easily fix it again unlike the commercial ones.

I love to build and fly them equally. I could spend days on end building and then flying them, but this thing called work keeps getting in the way!

Ex.
Jun 26, 2005, 06:43 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Add me to the builders list as well. I find that I'm much more willing to take risks with the ARFs than I am with my kit-built planes. It just hurts so much more if I bash up a plane that I spent weeks building than one I simply bought and glues a few pre-assembled parts together.

I use the ARFs for learning and for flying in less than premium conditions and tend to save my built-up planes for when I have a greater chance of successful flights.
Jun 26, 2005, 07:27 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
I'd say it's 50-50 to 60-40.

I enjoy the challenge of perfecting a flying maneuver, execulting a perfect landing (not often enough), specking out an HLG. But I only get so many opportunities to fly.

I enjoy building, because I can come home from a frustrating day at work where I often feel like nothing really got done, go down the basement for a couple of hours and work on a model. After those couple of hours I can actally see some progress.

OTOH, I'm not a big fan of covering and painting. At any one time, I'll have as many as a half dozen planes framed up and ready for covering (and/or a dozen rockets in primer).

- Roger
Jun 26, 2005, 07:42 AM
jollyroger

Build or fly?

I would have to honestly say I love to build more than fly. I find it not only a challenge but relaxing and theraputic as well. It allows me the opportunity to concentrate something other than the daily grind that sends many people into desperation. I can forget everything else and just concentrate on the plane in front of me.
I build planes from plans, kits as well as ARFs. It really doesn't matter as long as I get some enjoyment from it.
As far as flying, seeing the plane take to the air is its own reward.when everything comes together just right I know I have accomplished something which seems to offset my own personal problems and failures.
BTW I have 4 planes in the build stage: GWS ME-109. Jim Ryan P-47, Ace Simple 400 and a Powered glider. Just to give you an idea of my wide range of flying interest. Cheers john Z
Jun 26, 2005, 07:43 AM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
It is funny you should ask this question. And how much people still like to build. I do like to build as much as fly. And when it is bug season there are times I would much rathr build then stand outside getting eatin alive by the little buggers!
The last time I was at the nearest hobby shop I was asking about what kits he had in stock. He said "Noone builds anymore" He carried pretty much nothing but arfs now. There are a few small free flight kits htere and maybe 3-4 small rc or rc capable kits there. That is it. All arfs other then that.
Funny thing is that more and more of the arfs he carries are electric! Used to be you wouldn't see one there!
Wes
Jun 26, 2005, 08:23 AM
I'd say it depends. I'd much rather build a balsa plane then a foamy type plane like a tigermoth. With the foam kind of planes, I don't like building because of the hassle of gluing halves together and whatnot. I MUCH prefer balsa planes. Framing them up is the best part! Covering is fun too. But I'd call my build/fly ratio about 50/50
Jun 26, 2005, 02:52 PM
Creations Aberration
Building... Flying leads to crashing up all that nice work

Quick Reply