Apr 03, 2021, 06:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

HG P802 (HEMTT) - motor upgrade

Hello all - I've got my P802 tied up in customs somewhere, but it's coming and I'm excited. I've not found much discussion of these vehicles on the forum (I must be missing something), so I've got a general question re. upgrading the motor/esc for a truck of this size...

This P802 weighs ~18-20 pounds, as I understand it. It comes with a capable 540 brushed motor, ESC, and separate 15A BEC. I've seen a video or two where owners dropped in a brushless motor: TENSHOCK RC906 1750KV to give it more muscle, plus a 3:1 gear reduction, both of which sound good to me. I know I'll thus need a brushless ESC for it, do you think a 30A ESC is enough?

Here's the thing: I ordered five 10A LED remote switches from an international site, and they sent me five 30A brushless ESCs. Go figure. So I've got one to use here if it'll be the right thing. These might be for airplanes/drones, I'm not even sure if they have reverse or not. The brushed ESC in the P802 has some cooling fins attached, these ones I received do not...

I'm new to the truck/trailing/crawling world so I don't know what's the common knowledge. The P802 isn't really a rock crawler, but I'll be in outdoors terrain or pulling heavy-ish loads. What do you think? Assuming I've got the wrong ESC, will you recommend a capable brushless ESC that won't break the bank?

Thanks much
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2021, 02:24 AM
You'll probably need more like a 120amp esc for an 18-20 LB truck , sadly a 30amp ESC will fry in seconds under the load .
Apr 05, 2021, 05:02 PM
Thread OP
Ah, thanks! I'll look around for 120A+ ESCs...

Know of decent ones like that?
Apr 06, 2021, 02:33 AM
Hobbywing are pretty good as a starter .
Apr 08, 2021, 05:57 AM
Good gravy that thing is expensive!! I think the part that shows it only coming by boat tells you what you can expect as far as parts are concerned. This is the first time I have ever seen that designation on anything RC from China. For something that heavy, I don't know if I would go brushless. Brushed motors typically have more torque and you're going to need it. Don't fall into the typical RC trap and jump on the upgrade bandwagon until you KNOW what you have. For that type of vehicle, you certainly don't want to do it for speed. The closest we've come to that kind of vehicle in this forum are from the 6-wheel offerings by WLToys and Feiyue. I've never read of those becoming big players and likewise have not heard of them going brushless. Again, stuff from Banggood and AliExpress have become 3 MONTH waits as somebody walks it here from China. See what it's like out of the box. If you're going to order anything, check around first to see if something is readily available from the US (usually Ebay) that will work. Banggood does have a US warehouse, but they never have anything RC that you want in it.
Apr 13, 2021, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Excellent, this is more of the "common knowledge" I need. Need to spend more time on this arm of the forum.

If sticking with brushed is recommended, for something like this, maybe I will. I got the brushless notion from a couple YouTube videos from a Canadian outfit (GCMRacing). They know what they're doing, I guess, but I love the further discussion.

In many of the other videos of this truck @ stock, it's too fast and seems a little under-powered. Fair amount of "cogging" (a word I learned recently). If anything, I'm looking to slow this rig down, hence the GRU. I'd want smoother running and a little more muscle.

Sure this is expensive. But so are those heavy hitters like TRX4. I worked the sales and coupons. Lots of opportunities to tweak and upgrade. I'm not in a hurry, got all summer to settle in and learn/enjoy this thing.

Thanks!
Last edited by TommaHawk; Apr 21, 2021 at 11:07 PM.
Apr 14, 2021, 06:19 AM
I have a Twin Hammers vehicle, the Desert Truck. GCM was into Twin Hammers in a BIG way and their parts were very well designed, but at a big price. I say were because they have nothing to do with Twin Hammers anymore and their parts are impossible to find. They jump right in and then jump right out depending on what's popular at the time.
My advice is to live with what you have until you know exactly what you want or need after using it for a while. I see guys dumping tons of money into their vehicles just because somebody on YouTube tells them they have all of the fixes and mods needed. Learn as you go.
Apr 17, 2021, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommaHawk
Hello all - I've got my P802 tied up in customs somewhere, but it's coming and I'm excited. I've not found much discussion of these vehicles on the forum (I must be missing something), so I've got a general question re. upgrading the motor/esc for a truck of this size...

This P802 weighs ~18-20 pounds, as I understand it. It comes with a capable 540 brushed motor, ESC, and separate 15A BEC. I've seen a video or two where owners dropped in a brushless motor: TENSHOCK RC906 1750KV to give it more muscle, plus a 3:1 gear reduction, both of which sound good to me. I know I'll thus need a brushless ESC for it, do you think a 30A ESC is enough?

Here's the thing: I ordered five 10A LED remote switches from an international site, and they sent me five 30A brushless ESCs. Go figure. So I've got one to use here if it'll be the right thing. These might be for airplanes/drones, I'm not even sure if they have reverse or not. The brushed ESC in the P802 has some cooling fins attached, these ones I received do not...

I'm new to the truck/trailing/crawling world so I don't know what's the common knowledge. The P802 isn't really a rock crawler, but I'll be in outdoors terrain or pulling heavy-ish loads. What do you think? Assuming I've got the wrong ESC, will you recommend a capable brushless ESC that won't break the bank?

Thanks much
SO cool! Post up some vids when you get it please!

Quick Reply