Apr 05, 2021, 01:33 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Most people avoid making this mistake. Some unfortunately do not, though they usually only make the mistake once. But i it's happened to you more than once, you should probably consider a different hobby.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2021, 05:01 PM
I haven't done this mistake, but I did learn to check all stick and switch functions before flying. After flying my mini pulse many times without incident, I took off and it was flying extremely erratically. The flap mix on my Dx7 was on by default and made my ailerons reflex up over a 1/4 inch. I did not realize this until after I successfully landed the plane, almost putting it into the corn.
Apr 05, 2021, 07:05 PM

Aileron Check

We do a lot of teaching at the Holdfast Model Aero Club and some years ago we settled on a standard aileron check, spoken aloud. Stand behind the model while watching the right wing, move the aileron stick fully to the right, hold it there, observe and say "Right Aileron UP". Then look at the left wing and move the stick left, observe and say "Left Aileron UP" We also follow this with a similar check for rudder (with observation of the nosewheel moving in the opposite direction) and elevator.

All Club Members are encouraged to follow this control check procedure. Even the old and crusty ones! Just for the record, I too have lost a couple of models over the years due to aileron reversal.
Apr 06, 2021, 08:50 AM

DRAT Check!

If you remember to do a DRAT check, them you wont have to say Drats!

DRAT= Dual Rates & Aileron Throw

Personally Id advocate for this to painted on every taxi-way (for those of us fortunate to have a paved runway)

Paul
Apr 07, 2021, 07:34 AM
The only time I reversed the controls was on my motorized V-tail (no aileron) glider. I launched it that way three times before I figured out was was wrong. Even after re-checking, I was sure that I had the tail set up correctly when it wasn't.

Quick Reply