Mar 31, 2021, 02:44 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
I went on a hot air balloon ride once and we drifted quite a distance from the launch area.. Finally we came down over a farmers field, the farmer watched us trying to land and I yelled down to him "hey farmer, where are we?".... He yelled back "you're up in a hot air balloon"
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2021, 03:12 PM
Intermediate Multi
You didn't yell, "Which way to Ireland?"
Mar 31, 2021, 04:50 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Single channel returns!

- Roger

P.S. The farmer must have been from customer support. What he told you was completely accurate, and totally useless.
Mar 31, 2021, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
These would be a HOOT at the annual Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.
This year, for the first time, rc balloons will have an actual event at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. We are scheduled to fly 3 of the 9 days.
Last edited by NMScoopy; Mar 31, 2021 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Missed word.
Mar 31, 2021, 11:43 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
That's going to be a real edge-of-your-seat competition.
Apr 01, 2021, 02:17 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
From an outside perspective, grown adults flying toy airplanes seems pretty pointless to begin with. This thread reminds me of D&D people making fun of Fortnite people because they play a different type of equally-pointless game.

From the opposite perspective, an RC hot air balloon is way cooler than a regular helium balloon. It's huge, it's colorful, it's RC, and it spews fire. Maybe I'm easily amused, but I think it's neat.

People who think these are dangerous have obviously never seen the giant spinning firework helicopter wheels.
Apr 01, 2021, 04:05 PM
I was the first to make an rc balloon in Belgium in 1978. Made of that gold/silver material used at the time for protection on the moon lander, radio was Kraft.
Apr 01, 2021, 06:04 PM
I ways wanted to go up in a balloon...till I saw a video of one catching on fire!
Apr 01, 2021, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
I ways wanted to go up in a balloon...till I saw a video of one catching on fire!
I thought the video of the one landing on the high-tension power lines was more exciting.

If I ever do have anything to do with balloons I'll stick with R/C, thank you very much.
Apr 02, 2021, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald
I was the first to make an rc balloon in Belgium in 1978.
In '78?!?! I'm impressed!
Apr 04, 2021, 08:11 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Looks cool but I think it would quickly become less exciting than drone flight
Apr 05, 2021, 12:16 PM
I guess, on these nice near windstill summer evenings, free flying one of these is a bit like a game of golf: a nice reason for a stroll through nature.

I can see the appeal it might have to some.

The RC sailboat guys over here in Europe do something similar. They launch their sailing boats somewhere in a canal with decent walking paths along the water, and go for a stroll. Some of these events take several hours and 10~15 miles or so.
Apr 08, 2021, 11:04 AM

Spring creek Nevada on morn on the way to work

I was late for work i had to stop and talk .
I asked how often they did this .
Reply was whenever we can .
I saw around ten he said there were 15 i missed some as they were starting to land
Morning flights work best as the air is cooler
In about 1980 I saw a dozen come up thru the fog one morning in Calgary at dinosaur park
So there was these huge dinosaurs poking out of the fog and these beautiful baloons floating up out of the fog behind them .
Both times i saw these balloons it was amazing .
Rc would be so cool .
Apr 08, 2021, 12:31 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Not hot air but this inflatable airplane should be mentioned in this balloon thread.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyear_Inflatoplane
Apr 09, 2021, 10:38 AM
One of the more terrifying R/C things Ive ever tried.

Quick Reply