Mar 27, 2021, 08:30 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Black Horse Gilmore Red Lion 2350mm (92.5") ARF - Wedell-Williams Model 44

Unboxing video with the first of my footage from the Crawford Auto & Aviation Museum! Enjoy!

Unboxing of Black Horse Gilmore Red Lion 2350mm (92.5") ARF - Wedell-Williams Model 44 (16 min 30 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2021, 07:17 PM
Sexy Bird! I am looking at this one myself.....gotta love it!
Apr 23, 2021, 08:01 AM
Thread OP
I'll show you how to attach the landing gear and tail wheel in this episode. Also, a special bonus, I ordered the extra set of wheel pants from @MotionRC and there was a pleasant surprise of an extra spare piece I was not expecting. Check out the end of the video to see what it was!

How to attach the Landing Gear of the 2350mm Black Horse Gilmore Red Lion - Wedell-Williams 44 (11 min 40 sec)
Apr 30, 2021, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Let's attach the rudder and elevator with Robart pin hinges in the same fashion as we did with the ailerons. We'll also install the respective servos and pushrods to connect everything up.

How to attach the Rudder and Elevators on the 92" Black Horse Gilmore Red Lion ARF (12 min 12 sec)

"Approximately 100 miles southeast of Holbrook, Arizona, the Hornet engine began running rough. The experienced pilot (Roscoe) began studying the terrain in case of an emergency landing proved necessary. Few options presented themselves in the desolate mountains. A bailout would be a last resort. The racer was his pride and joy of five years.
Spotting a green field, he began his approach, the propeller now fanning uselessly in the breeze. The racer cleared the field's fence, stalled, and caught its landing gear in the soft dirt. The racer began tumbling end over end for about 60 yards. It eventually stopped on its main gear and engine. Six inches behind Turner's head, the beautiful Wedell-Williams racer was nothing but a mangled mess. The only part of the place that seemed to have a chance to be repaired was from the cockpit forward." - Wedell-Williams Air Service page 84
Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Thread OP
Mounting the Dualsky GA6000.9 motor, painting the false radial engine, and mounting the cowl is what's in this next episode of my 92" Black Horse Gilmore ARF from MotionRC. Enjoy!

How to install the motor, cowl, and paint the radial - 92" Black Horse Gilmore Red Lion ARF - Build (10 min 26 sec)

"Pratt & Whitney supplied the powerplants, Wasp Jr. engines with 985 cubic inches of displacement. The factory beefed up and supercharged the engines with high-compression pistons and individual stacks for less back pressure. In 1932, the manufacturer rated them as follows: 525 horsepower at 2,200 revolutions per minute and 550 horsepower at 2,300 RPM when racing." - Wedell-Williams Air Service page 34

"The engine cowl for the Model 44s was a NACA-type provided by Hill Aircraft Streamliners. The full pressure cowl created a venturi effect at the trailing edge for the exhaust to exit the stacks. Turner's cowl tapered slightly more inward at the trailing edge than the other two. " - Wedell-Williams Air Service page 35

Quick Reply