Jun 23, 2005, 02:19 PM
Thread OP

We could really use your help part 7 - Learning to Fly!

We could really use your help part 6 - Ready for Flight!
We really could use some help. At Christmas I bought my son a $29.00 Air Hog R/C plane. Actually it really flew well. I really enjoy spending quality time with my 13 year old son. Since Christmas we went out about evry other day to a good sized soccer field to fly. But, I am afraid the Air Hog gave out and left us without a plane. So I got on Ebay an ordered a cheap Symrna Super Sonic RTF. Man have we had a bad luck with this plane. The first day the engines came off and a prop broke after my son crashed it. The side props dug into the sides of the fuselage and tore holes into it. The list goes on and on and on, until recently the right engine stopped working all together. So, we are basically back to where we were before Christmas. I spent allot of time repairing the plane, but by design I guess, it just never few right straight out of the box. My son and I got pretty good at flying and I've really miss those afternoons. My son has been saving and he has roughly 50.00 dollars. Can anyone please help me to find a good plane in this price range? We would really appreciate it.

Thanks Again,
J Jones

UPDATE:
Since this message was posted we have received nothing but kindness, and support from the members of RC. A member that goes by the name of Skroggs went out of his way, and actually bought us a new Pico ARF Cub and a SS with a broken tail that we have repaired.

Another member by the name of Stuart Linfoot offered a donation of parts to complete the new plane, and asked others to donate as well. Since that point we have had many other members offer their support.

I would like to take a moment to Thank everyone for the unbelieveable kindness and support that they have shown us. I would especially like to thank:

SKROGG
BirdBrain
SnoLord1
Stuart Linfoot
Diver Don
RCParkFlyer
Yukondog
HawkLover
Vanning
Lensrc
Heliguy
Per in Norway!
e-flightline.com
ndawdz
Fly_Boy
and a Special Thanks to JWarren the Moderator of this Thread..

for thier donations, time and help. Without the help from these people, and the input from so many others. This would have never been possible.

Thanks to everyone that has responded to this Thread. You are a remarkable group of people. It certainly has been proven to us that people really do still care. You are the greatest!

Thank You for everything,
James & Erik Jones

Please take a moment to read thru the Thread below. The individuals here have made a father and son's dream come true.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350042

This is a Continuation from a fantastic on going Thread called "We Really Could Use Your Help" Please read thru these incredible threads. It's a thread that will prove there are people that still care for family values, and friendships. My son and I will never forget what the people here have done for us. But, we still haven't flown yet, so We Could Really use Your help Please don't let this thread and the friendships fade away. We are so close.

Thank you for the great friends that we have made over the past 2 months. They are my brothers. and certainly a "Band of Angels!"

Thank you Very, Very much!,
James & Erik
Last edited by Xwild; Nov 22, 2005 at 10:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2005, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
The above post says it all. The people here have become like family to me, and my family. You all have helped us in so many ways, if I were to type each and every time that you all have helped in one way, or another I could fill this entire Thread. Either by giving advise, wishing us luck, donations, teaching us about every aspect of how to fly safely, and the most importantly, your friendship. My son and I are closer than we have ever been thanks to you. Nothing is more important to me than spending time with my son on those warm sunny afternoons. All of you have literally changed our lives, and for this we will forever be grateful

Thank You!
James & Erik
Jun 23, 2005, 02:25 PM
Flying motor mount master
Hey JJ-

How's the Estarter going??? I just flew mine and actually Hovered
it.. heh don't tell tic. Damn it's fun but I have to put up with constant
glitching... weird thing is it's only on the throttle so I throttle down
and back up and off I go!!! I'll have to get some video soon!!

So I was wondering if you were up for a wing type plane yet. I
believe I have plenty of materials for a Jerbear simple wing. What
do you think??? Sounds like fun at 50mph+++

Hope all is well and wish Erik a Happy Birthday!!!

fb
Jun 23, 2005, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkLover
So James, I'm curious about what you currently have in the way of spare stuff. Do you have any 350 motors your not using? Gear box's? Servo's? How about props? It sounds like you are down to just a few. What do you have?

We have 2 servo arms, 3 small GWS props, and 2 GWS props that we can use for the slow stick's. We have been finding out that for some reason, you can't repair a prop more than once. I think it's due to the super glue that is used. We have 1 extra GWS gear box, that can be used for a 300 or higher motor. As for motors, we have a few GWS motors but have no idea what size they are and they are missing wires. We do have a 400 motor with a new gear and gear box, and the 2 real big motors that you have sent us. But, they take a 10 cell battery to use. We have 4 - 7 cell NimH Batteries and 3 Lipos that we can use for the Slo-Sticks. As for gears 1 B gear, no D gears and 2 C gears. That about covers it I think.

Thanks Steve!

P.S. Sorry I forgot about the "The Nuke" Battery the 1/2 pound 3000 mah Ni-Cad
Jun 23, 2005, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
Hey JJ-

How's the Estarter going??? I just flew mine and actually Hovered
it.. heh don't tell tic. Damn it's fun but I have to put up with constant
glitching... weird thing is it's only on the throttle so I throttle down
and back up and off I go!!! I'll have to get some video soon!!

So I was wondering if you were up for a wing type plane yet. I
believe I have plenty of materials for a Jerbear simple wing. What
do you think??? Sounds like fun at 50mph+++

Hope all is well and wish Erik a Happy Birthday!!!

fb
Still working on the E-Starter, haven't attempted a thurd flight yet. The first 2 ah... didn't go very well We've got it all glued back together and a new motor mount put in so it's almost ready to go.

Some sweet fast wings for the SS is what we both would really like :-)
Jun 23, 2005, 02:30 PM
Alritely then... I'll look into it.

fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwild
Some sweet fast wings for the SS is what we both would really like :-)
Jun 23, 2005, 02:48 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Humm ... well there may be some decisons to be made once the spur gears arrive. We can talk more about that once they finally get there. Then I think you will understand better.

As for the geared speed 400 motor I sent you with that funky gearbox, it flew with it on 7 cells. Granted, I was flying a powered glider with it so I suppose it was okay for that application. The speed 480 DD should be okay on 8 cells, but I don't know what you'd put that in accept your supper cub ... you still working on that?
Last edited by HawkLover; Jun 23, 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Jun 23, 2005, 04:03 PM
Hey Hawk-

PM me and I'll come out to Baylands and show you a hovering
Estarter!!! Great big smile today... lots of flying and lil work...

fb
Jun 23, 2005, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
Hey Steve, The box is here! That's one big box for 2 gears.... What ever may be in it we, won't know until tomorrow. Eriks gonna open it for his Birthday

Now, for some bad news. Remember I told ya that black 10 cell battery was getting hot? It almost caught on fire in the house. I just had it on the charger charging up and I smelt something like burning rubber and I heard the allarm on the charger go off. It was the electrical tape. I grabbed the battery and ran outside. Burned my hand a little bit but, it didn't erupt into flames Thankfully. The charger was set on Nimh 1.0a 7.4v it was on the charger for about 30 minutes before that happened.
Jun 23, 2005, 04:48 PM
Well, I'm glad the spur gears arrived. Those folks at e-flightling certainly have a funny way of sending a couple of spur gears! Now don't get toooo excited. Like I said, there will have to be some decisions made once it's opened.

Well, I guess that 10 cell pack is toast! I suppose you could always unwrap it and test each cell. How good are you at soldering? If you do open it up, remember that I made this pack when I was still learning how to solder!

Poor Erik, I can't beleive you are making him wait till tomorrow!!!
Jun 23, 2005, 06:39 PM
No time to fly
XWild, tell you son, Erik, to have happy Birthday! I am 15 years old, I can remember going through all of the trouble you are going through right now. I started crashing 3 years ago . I kinda had a roller coaster ride learning, but I finaly made it. I always used to break gear boxes, props, bend shafts, break servos etc. I was about ready to give up for a while, but then I made it through. So keep on "chuggin". You and your son seem to be doing a much better job than I was when I was learning, and with the help of all the wonderful people on RC Groups to help you, you will be fine.If I had some extra money I would make a donation to you. I was actualy posting to tell you how much I admire your work with all of the pictures. I was wondering what software you were using, and how hard it is to learn on. Good luck flying,
Brian
Jun 23, 2005, 08:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkLover
Well, I'm glad the spur gears arrived. Those folks at e-flightling certainly have a funny way of sending a couple of spur gears! Now don't get toooo excited. Like I said, there will have to be some decisions made once it's opened.

Well, I guess that 10 cell pack is toast! I suppose you could always unwrap it and test each cell. How good are you at soldering? If you do open it up, remember that I made this pack when I was still learning how to solder!

Poor Erik, I can't beleive you are making him wait till tomorrow!!!
He's bugging the living stew out of me to open the box... Gees.. It's up to you Steve would you like him to open it tonight? It's fine with me, if it's okay with you.

Oh and now you tell me about the battery LOL I can unwrap it but how do I know it's fully discharged?
Jun 23, 2005, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrMiHi08
XWild, tell you son, Erik, to have happy Birthday! I am 15 years old, I can remember going through all of the trouble you are going through right now. I started crashing 3 years ago . I kinda had a roller coaster ride learning, but I finaly made it. I always used to break gear boxes, props, bend shafts, break servos etc. I was about ready to give up for a while, but then I made it through. So keep on "chuggin". You and your son seem to be doing a much better job than I was when I was learning, and with the help of all the wonderful people on RC Groups to help you, you will be fine.If I had some extra money I would make a donation to you. I was actualy posting to tell you how much I admire your work with all of the pictures. I was wondering what software you were using, and how hard it is to learn on. Good luck flying,
Brian
Well thank you very much BR. I will certainly relay your Happy Birthday wishes to Erik for you. I use a couple programs to complete an image. I use Bryce 5.0, and Photoshop 7.0. I create some of the models in a program called Rhinocerous and 3D studio. He nothings hard if you put your mind to it. I will tell you this. It's easier than flying R/C LOL at least to me anyway. Again thank you very much for Erik's birthday wish and the praise on my artwork. It's much appreciated.
Jun 23, 2005, 08:47 PM
Thread OP
Hey Hawk I went into the backyard and got the battery apparently one of thin pieces of metal that connect the batteries broke in half. When I put a meter to it pushing the 2 broken pieces back together it reads 12.6 Volts. Does this mean the will be okay if I soldier those 2 pieces back together?
Jun 23, 2005, 09:35 PM
If it broke, then it does need to be fixed. Maybe that's the reason, I'm not sure. You can try it again. The volts look good, that for sure!

I assume Erik is in bed now, so I guess he can wait till the morning!

Quick Reply