Chiracahua, Coronado, Shenandoah Aerial Pics - RC Groups
Jun 23, 2005, 02:59 PM

Chiracahua, Coronado, Shenandoah Aerial Pics

The first six pics were taken two weekends ago at Chiracahua National Monument and Coronado National Memorial in Arizona. The last two pics were taken this last weekend at Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. The plane is a modified Gentle Lady; it can be seen is this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377352

The rock formations at Chiracahua are incredible and the hiking trails are some of the best in any national park. I flew from the parking lot at Masai Point (Point of Rocks) and brought the plane back to catch it. It was under power the whole time and the wind was starting to pick up when I flew it. The wind really came up after I landed, so I only got one flight.

Coronado is a small park down on the border with Mexico. It was originally hoped that Mexico would create a small park on their side to match, but that never happened. The high point is the parking lot in the pics with steep dropoffs on both sides. The winds were 15 - 20 knots and I flew slope lift the whole time. I was up for 1:45 without ever turning the motor on and got more height on a slope than I ever have before. Landing was difficult in those winds. The rotor over the parking lot was fierce with only a small space of calm wind. It took many approaches to find just the right path to get back down. Full flaps and full down elevator just barely managed to keep the nose down in that lift.

Shenandoah was a joy to fly. I flew at Big Meadows and Beagle Gap. The two pics are from Beagle Gap. It is a saddle in the mountains and provides great slope lift from all directions and lots of wide-open landing space. The trail crossing the road is the Appalachian Trail.

Chris
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2005, 04:15 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Wow! Thanks for sharing.

I'm surprised you got down with all the thermal activity at Chiracahua.
Jun 23, 2005, 07:01 PM
Out West
Good shots.

If you are going to quote a name for a place at least spell it right. It is "Chiricahua".

PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgood
The first six pics were taken two weekends ago at Chiracahua National Monument and Coronado National Memorial in Arizona. The last two pics were taken this last weekend at Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. The plane is a modified Gentle Lady; it can be seen is this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377352

The rock formations at Chiracahua are incredible and the hiking trails are some of the best in any national park. I flew from the parking lot at Masai Point (Point of Rocks) and brought the plane back to catch it. It was under power the whole time and the wind was starting to pick up when I flew it. The wind really came up after I landed, so I only got one flight.

Coronado is a small park down on the border with Mexico. It was originally hoped that Mexico would create a small park on their side to match, but that never happened. The high point is the parking lot in the pics with steep dropoffs on both sides. The winds were 15 - 20 knots and I flew slope lift the whole time. I was up for 1:45 without ever turning the motor on and got more height on a slope than I ever have before. Landing was difficult in those winds. The rotor over the parking lot was fierce with only a small space of calm wind. It took many approaches to find just the right path to get back down. Full flaps and full down elevator just barely managed to keep the nose down in that lift.

Shenandoah was a joy to fly. I flew at Big Meadows and Beagle Gap. The two pics are from Beagle Gap. It is a saddle in the mountains and provides great slope lift from all directions and lots of wide-open landing space. The trail crossing the road is the Appalachian Trail.

Chris
Jun 24, 2005, 10:52 AM
You know - I just realized I spelled Massai Point wrong also. It is "Massai". Sorry - Oops. Or is it "opps"?

Chris
Jun 25, 2005, 02:29 PM
Out West
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgood
You know - I just realized I spelled Massai Point wrong also. It is "Massai". Sorry - Oops. Or is it "opps"?

Chris
Opps sounds about right Chris.

We go to the Chiricahuas frequently and camp out. It is one of our favorite spots. I took some aerials there a few years ago also. Coronado Pass is right in my back yard almost.

PJ
Jun 25, 2005, 03:02 PM
Did You Hear That?
However you spell it - great photos... OK - I'll keep it going - grate fotoes...

Kevin
Jun 25, 2005, 09:20 PM
Tied to the whipping post
Our camp was raided by a bunch of bandit Kunamunde's (sp?) back in 1990 while camping in the campground. They stole everything that wasn't in a can and they would have stole those if they could have figured how to carry them off. Hitchiked up to the top of the road and did the downhill trail back to the HQ. We still laugh about the story about being "robbed"!

Great pics!

Wattnoise, you have not answered you email about Pinetop..

Rgds,

Mike
Jun 26, 2005, 04:39 AM
Did You Hear That?
I thought I did, DB... ?... I e-mailed you again...