Sep 24, 2021, 02:23 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Reto says that his a55 was properly kicked today by Yoda in all up.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2021, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wick
How do the Frsky servos perform? In terms of precision (gear tightness) and neutral position? They have a hall sensor, which is different from the KST.
Precision and neutral position are ok. To be honest, I did not feel any difference of hall sensor right now. In theory, there is no wear and tear coz it is non-contacting.
Sep 25, 2021, 08:31 PM
F3B and F3K
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
Reto says that his a55 was properly kicked today by Yoda in all up.
Correct, Mickey and his Yoda have become my Nemesis at the TS, kicking my a$$ twice so far.

Mickey seems to click well with the plane and had several good flights in varying conditions. We were once in a similar patch of weak air, and he made it hang really well.

Best,
Reto
Latest blog entry: thoughts on contest flying
Oct 12, 2021, 07:26 PM
What's everyones cg on the Yoda? I got a factory built version and it needs a LOT of weight in the front to get in the published cg range. TIA
Oct 12, 2021, 08:28 PM
According to Joe W at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=83, it's 72-73mm.

Once I accidentally moved CG in the field without careful measurement. Yoda flew fine, but had increased tendency of sudden stalls. Back at home, CG was measured to have been at 75mm. As the result I won't go past 73mm anymore.
Oct 14, 2021, 04:41 AM
I got my Yoda back in June, and it's fantastic! It's the first DLG I own, and I've had a lot of good flying with her. Also I cheated and put a vario in.

CyclingMikey Needs To Get A Life and Some Hobbies (4 min 52 sec)
Oct 15, 2021, 11:43 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby
What's everyones cg on the Yoda? I got a factory built version and it needs a LOT of weight in the front to get in the published cg range. TIA
If you are still interested , mine took 18.5 grams to get the CG to 70mm.
AUW is 248.6 grams. Only one short session with it so far, in windy conditions, but CG seemed pretty close to where I like it.

Sort of interesting that my original, old, and twice repaired Snipe weighs 250.4 grams, and my "NOS" Vortex2 converted to poly is 252 grams. Progress ?

Pretty sure which one of those three I would want to have in a contest.

I think my AUW is in line with others, but perhaps my nose weight a bit more because I used all X06 servos, and my battery is a 1S 450 that only weighs 12 grams.

Quality of the kit was very good, tails were all perfectly aligned for example, which is not always the case.
I made two minor changes: -elevator horn on the side of the fuse instead of in the slot, for ease of assembly/disassembly (ala Oleg)
- I don't like seagull pegs,T pegs that are almost at the tip, or offset pegs. The stock peg is all three So I put in a "normal style" NXT peg, with carbon patches.

One change I would like to see is for the "blisters" on the aileron servo covers to be a bit larger, to allow for some wiggle room in the servo position. One of mine was bumping into the horn on the inside/rear edge. With regular flaperon top drives I don't usually worry about the horn touching the cover, because it happens with partially lowered flaps, so is generally not an issue. But in the Yoda it happens at neutral flap, so eventually starts to lift the cover away from the wing. I ended up cutting a bit off the inner edge of the cover, so it would sit farther inboard.
Oct 15, 2021, 12:39 PM
Mine weighs about 239 grams, balance at 71 mm.
Oct 15, 2021, 01:51 PM
Nice light weight. I was hoping to be in that range, but didn't happen.
Did you weigh all your parts?
mine were (in grams):

Standard layup
Fuse 36.7
Nose cone 5.8
Wing 103.7
Stab 5.8
Rudder 6.8
Stock Peg 3.5

These are all a bit higher than the specs , except for my nose cone which is a bit lighter.
Oct 15, 2021, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
If you are still interested , mine took 18.5 grams to get the CG to 70mm.
AUW is 248.6 grams. Only one short session with it so far, in windy conditions, but CG seemed pretty close to where I like it.

Sort of interesting that my original, old, and twice repaired Snipe weighs 250.4 grams, and my "NOS" Vortex2 converted to poly is 252 grams. Progress ?

Pretty sure which one of those three I would want to have in a contest.

I think my AUW is in line with others, but perhaps my nose weight a bit more because I used all X06 servos, and my battery is a 1S 450 that only weighs 12 grams.

Quality of the kit was very good, tails were all perfectly aligned for example, which is not always the case.
I made two minor changes: -elevator horn on the side of the fuse instead of in the slot, for ease of assembly/disassembly (ala Oleg)
- I don't like seagull pegs,T pegs that are almost at the tip, or offset pegs. The stock peg is all three So I put in a "normal style" NXT peg, with carbon patches.

One change I would like to see is for the "blisters" on the aileron servo covers to be a bit larger, to allow for some wiggle room in the servo position. One of mine was bumping into the horn on the inside/rear edge. With regular flaperon top drives I don't usually worry about the horn touching the cover, because it happens with partially lowered flaps, so is generally not an issue. But in the Yoda it happens at neutral flap, so eventually starts to lift the cover away from the wing. I ended up cutting a bit off the inner edge of the cover, so it would sit farther inboard.
Thanks. Totally agree with the tpeg comment. Mine was factory built so don't have the option to install anything different.. I could cut it out but would rather leave it at this stage . After flying bamfs for the least few years and using the armsoar peg.. nothing else feels right . But anyway. I'll need to take a little bit of weight out of the nose.. I'm sitting at 69mm.. so probably a touch too far forward. First impressions of flying it through... One word..WOW.
Oct 16, 2021, 01:49 AM
I am flying with a flattened 350 mAh 2s Lipo so that I do not need any additional nose weight, giving me a CoG of 72mm but my AUW is more or less exactly 250g.

Best, Tom
Oct 16, 2021, 02:03 AM
Hugh Blackburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
Nice light weight. I was hoping to be in that range, but didn't happen.
Did you weigh all your parts?
mine were (in grams):

Standard layup
Fuse 36.7
Nose cone 5.8
Wing 103.7
Stab 5.8
Rudder 6.8
Stock Peg 3.5
I just got hold of a standard layup Yoda, and the weight of all these composite components was 148 (as opposed to your 162). The wing was 95 which is very good for such a complex layup and standard weight fabrics. Looking forward to this...
Oct 16, 2021, 09:40 AM
Sounds like you won the Rohacell lottery
Oct 16, 2021, 07:16 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Yeah - but in the past I haven't been so fortunate! This is DLG #40 for me ... "all I want to do is break even" (you probably know the source of that quote).
Oct 17, 2021, 02:58 AM

Auw

Attached are my UHM and Light UHM, and You can get just below 230 [email protected]

Quick Reply