Aug 24, 2021, 01:49 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
I finally got a chance to see a couple of these "up close and personal" at our NATs here in the US. The build quality is astounding. Really astounding.

The airplane seems to do everything well. It really shines in handling behavior which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. If you're looking for a flaw, it's that the gear installation is a bit tight, but that's a shared annoyance of most competitive DLGs. Great job to Joe and the VM team on getting this one to market.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2021, 02:00 PM
A short P. S. to my first impressions. Will modify the settings to those that Joe Wurts published here. He is after all the designer. My settings worked, too but that only shows how easy one to fly the Yoda is.

And as Tom said, it is beautifully built with many nice prefabricated parts. Gear installation needs a bit care to arrive at a well working and neat result. No special skills, just some time and thinking.

Tommy
Sep 01, 2021, 03:58 PM
Hello,
Since 3 months I flown with the Yoda, and I love it

First the Yoda is the easier F3K I have flown. He is very agile, balanced and perform very well. The polydriedral helps a lot during circling. Likewise, I like it because itís provided a more stable and kinder glider. And I appreciate to have more brains capacity during competition to think about strategy for winning the round .
Moreover, the news airfoils from Joe Wurtz give the possibility to use a lot of flaps for quick thermaling despite all this the airfoils have a great L/D. That give use the possibility to do long way in order to find thermals. For me, Joe takes another way to develop those airfoils. Itís could felt like the airfoils was design to have hight lift but when we use the camber those airfoils are able to fly to high speed for launch especially. And itís a big turnover because until today we think to develop airfoil for speed task and use camber for have a great lift. And due to the new rule in F3K like the majority of the task become longer Itís interesting to have a glider which climb fast in thermals.
Finaly, I was afraid with the polydihedral for the lunch but the Yoda is very easy during the rotation of the lunch. Likewise we donít feel ďheaviy wingĒ on stick even with the aileronís servo in the tips. And thatís great to detect thermal.

What about building ?
ē The fuselage of the yoda is designed like the snipe 2 with the new removable rudder system. The nose is little bit shorter, in the nose the servo are glued on the carbon plate like for snp2. Very easy, fast system ! A small thing but wich is very kindle itís the symmetrical nose cone.
ē The rudder is easy to assemble on the fuselage, just need a little piece of tape to secure it. But even without tape itís really stiff and safe !
ē The Wing is lighter than snipe 2ís wing in order to have almost same wing loading. Despite all the wing is crazy stiff even with the polydihedral!
ē I flown with the regular UHM and the Strong version. The regular is the great alternative to fly in most of weathers for competitors. I try until 150gr without issue ! The strong feel like a stone for the brutal condition ! I must advise this version for pilots who want to fly every days with their models. Even if itís feel like a very strong model, he is able to fly in calm weathers.

Adri
Sep 02, 2021, 09:17 AM
350g at 6m/s wind speed???
Sep 02, 2021, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivilang1001
350g at 6m/s wind speed???
Just wondered the same. Flew mine today at 4 m/s wind and the Yoda was just fine without ballast. 239g flying weight.

Tommy
Sep 02, 2021, 03:35 PM
Yes ! I measured it with my wind gauge during 1min at 2m of the ground. Like that I have the average wind speed. Otherwise if take the gust to measure the wind my ballast curve will be "lighter"

Adrien
Sep 03, 2021, 04:36 AM
To hijack the thread I wish no, but light to shed I would

To ballast whith the power of the thermal I find wise. To only take windspeed as indication of ballast I find too simple.

Therefore:
- little wind and powerfull thermals, more ballast I put in.
- little wind and weak thermals no ballast I put in.
- more wind and powerfull thermals, more ballast I choose
- more wind and weak thermals less ballas I choose to use.

To write like Yoda I find difficult
Sep 04, 2021, 02:30 AM
launch low, fly high
Thread OP
To Erik I thumbs up give...
Sep 04, 2021, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikdahlchriste
To hijack the thread I wish no, but light to shed I would

To ballast whith the power of the thermal I find wise. To only take windspeed as indication of ballast I find too simple.

Therefore:
- little wind and powerfull thermals, more ballast I put in.
- little wind and weak thermals no ballast I put in.
- more wind and powerfull thermals, more ballast I choose
- more wind and weak thermals less ballas I choose to use.

To write like Yoda I find difficult
Oh yes ! We could add the power of turbulance wich is important to consider for choose the good weight. I like to make my "ballast" curve like that during competition when I'm confussed about condition I juste have to put the weight wich is on my "ballast curve". This ballast curve is just an little help when I'm not sure.

Good flights
Sep 05, 2021, 02:00 AM

Good session with mine

Got my setup done properly, managed to keep up with CX5 team pilot locally.

Jonathan
Sep 13, 2021, 03:13 AM
Simplify and add weight. Made a 23g and a 41g ballast, will see if I make heavier ones at all. A sunday flyer, so I can pick the weather I fly in.

Tommy
Sep 15, 2021, 01:45 PM
RHX138
I think 4 servo wings might be adopted now.. Excellent work Joe! Thanks for sharing your design and development process..

Robert Haas
Sep 15, 2021, 04:43 PM
Some observations from a sport/lazy day flier of DLG's...

The Yoda reminds me of my first HLG (yes, HLG) in the 90's, the CR Climaxx PF (poly-flaperon wing) Of course much heavier and different launch, but it would still hang well in light lift.

I love this new design. Mine came in at 241 grams and CG at 69mm. Spent the time setting up the Yoda flight modes with the protractor I got from Hyperflight. Two test tosses resulted in some minor trim adjustments, and then the true test....a full on launch. Launched high and strong. Second launch got into a light thermal and got a 10 minute flight. This from a guy that is still learning thermal search at low level...

Great design Joe, really like it. Thanks for the innovative new ship.....
Sep 21, 2021, 10:44 PM
Finally done.

I used 6 pcs Frsky HV5701 servos. Servo arm of TD is 2.8mm. So I can make the bottom of wing flat.
Sep 22, 2021, 03:36 AM
How do the Frsky servos perform? In terms of precision (gear tightness) and neutral position? They have a hall sensor, which is different from the KST.

Quick Reply