May 30, 2021, 08:20 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
I'm not sure anyone cares about my flight impressions, but here goes some early reactions.
It flies lighter than it is, so the extra weight of the servos seems to not matter.
I had several 10 minute flights from my low launches, but the conditions were good.
Unfortunately I had some technical issues that kept me from flying my other models in the same conditions, but that will change next time.
The CG seems about right, so I'll leave it be for now (72mm).
It was windy and pretty gusty and fairly frequently it would stall pretty harshly. I let another pilot have a few test flights and he had the same observation.
There is a tiny little ridge on the LE of model, may just be a manufacturing thing on this particular model. I chose to try some tape first. The picture shows some chrome tape applied to the LE. This settled down the harsh unexpected stall.
Initially we thought the CG was too far back, but after the tape it became much more flyable in these conditions. I'm aware that flying too slow would make a stall but two experienced pilots had the same reaction.
Obi Wan's control setup seems pretty much on. The handling qualities are excellent. As expected it's easy to fly, especially in turns. There are a couple of turn radii where you can hold the turn with just elevator and no rudder or aileron. This was a pleasant surprise. Not sure if this turn is coordinated or not but I wll be able to tell more in calmer conditions. (Flying heading lock gyros in helicopters trains you to tidy up that tail boom!)
I had 45 degrees of flap (and probably 30 degrees for aileron) at full brake and it slows down well. I had good, if not crisp roll control with full brake. I suspect if you leave the ailerons basically up you will have more roll control, but I wanted all the brake I could get. I fly rudder on approach anyway so if there were no roll control it wouldn't have mattered to me, but having some pretty good roll control is a bonus. Using rudder and aileron with full brake gave plenty of control with full brakes in these gusty conditions.
The launches were uneventful, but not getting real high yet (I, personally never will, sigh). The nice peg is curved on the inner surface (that is rounded in cross sectional area) and REALLY smooth. I'm used to the Craig Robinson pegs that are flat in cross section. Anyway the model kept slipping off my fingers on launch. I had forgotten the instruction recommended kevlar wrap on the peg (something I also do on the CR pegs). I've now added that so next time the peg will be grippier. Either way the launch is straightforward. I expected to need some more offset for launch but all I had to add was some small amount of right rudder on the zoom phase (from free flight days, rudder is very effective at high speed, i.e. launch).
Speed mode, from just raw observation, appears to be on par with the other top models out there. I had no ballast made and got back from pretty far away on a windy day where I would have had 30 or 40g (265ish AUW) in the other model I typically fly. My flying partner was flying brand X model with 30g in it and getting back was about the same for both us, so I guess that speaks well for the legs on it. I'll know more when I fly other models in the same conditions.
Overall it's a nice flying model. I'm looking forward to an outing with my two other types for a direct comparison.
Subjectively I bonded with it right away after one session . It does inspire confidence.
If the goal was to make a model that's easy to fly efficiently I think it may succeed there, I'll just have to do some side by sides.
I'm looking forward to a calmer day with lighter lift to see what the performance advantage is (if any) to the 4 servo wing.
On the overall scale from "I hate it and I'm selling it today" to "Greatest of all time", it's definitely on the right hand end of the scale, probably at "I like it a lot so far and I'll keep flying it to get the full picture of the performance".
--mickey
Last edited by mnowell129; May 31, 2021 at 01:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2021, 08:33 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Thanks for sharing your flight report, Mickey.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
May 30, 2021, 11:13 PM
First day out... A bit windy & turbulent today, but a little ballast (AUW 10.1oz) made it perform quite well.

Will be trimming things for a while, but first impression is "flies nice"...

Thanks, Joe - nice work!

Joe
May 31, 2021, 03:57 PM
new to the sport
Joe the YODA is a refreshing addition to F3K - I am new to the sport 'a nube' but the DLG is addictive and I am slowly finding my feet - I am currently flying one of Wynns old BAMFs, but I do love the poly wing - I am looking forward to seeing Pete G's YODA in the flesh at some stage soon! - regards, Phil, Wellington.
Last edited by bracesport; Jun 01, 2021 at 05:16 AM.
Jun 01, 2021, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
There is a tiny little ridge on the LE of model, may just be a manufacturing thing on this particular model. I chose to try some tape first. The picture shows some chrome tape applied to the LE. This settled down the harsh unexpected stall.
Initially we thought the CG was too far back, but after the tape it became much more flyable in these conditions. I'm aware that flying too slow would make a stall but two experienced pilots had the same reaction.
--mickey
My Yoda has the same thing. I don't know it is going to be an issue for me, but have you considered sanding it smooth? Also can you point me to the source of your tape, or alternates? 1/4" Kapton perhaps?
Jun 01, 2021, 11:08 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley
My Yoda has the same thing. I don't know it is going to be an issue for me, but have you considered sanding it smooth? Also can you point me to the source of your tape, or alternates? 1/4" Kapton perhaps?
I cant point you to the thread, Tom but Kyle Clayton used some fluorescent trim tape on the LE on some of his DLG's. His reason was to make it more visible as the plane is coming towards you. Maybe you can kill 2 birds with one stone by using some fluorescent tape instead of Kapton tape.

Are you going to fly it in next week's contest?

Mike
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Jun 01, 2021, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley
When this tape wears out, I might clean it up with a razor blade, or sand it out. More likely I will just put more tape on.
I've used tape a lot and it works. Its a bonus that this chrome tape adds to the visibility at long range.
It's 8 or 10mm (IIRC) mylar chrome tape from ebay. Super thin.
This stuff allows for stretching so you can make it fit around the compound curve.
I would not use kapton as it does not stretch and will make wrinkles.
When putting this stuff on, you stick it to the center of the leading edge at the root, then hold it down with your finger than pull really hard on the roll as you work down the leading edge. As you pull the tape will curl towards the wing surface and then you can press it down gently, rolling from the LE, with no wrinkles.
On my wing it's one continuous piece from the root up to about 3-4 inches from the tip.

Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25463537340...8AAOSwM1Ze9TTw
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Jun 01, 2021, 03:09 PM
Master of the Wind
I always overfill the LE seam on a new model and carefully wet sand it back to make the smoothest defect free LE I can.
Jun 01, 2021, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
I cant point you to the thread, Tom but Kyle Clayton used some fluorescent trim tape on the LE on some of his DLG's. His reason was to make it more visible as the plane is coming towards you. Maybe you can kill 2 birds with one stone by using some fluorescent tape instead of Kapton tape.

Are you going to fly it in next week's contest?

Mike
Thanks and Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy
I always overfill the LE seam on a new model and carefully wet sand it back to make the smoothest defect free LE I can.
Overfill? Can you elaborate? I was thinking of just masking and wet sanding.
Jun 05, 2021, 11:24 AM
Master of the Wind
Put more on than you need and wet sand it back. The filler is a little softer than the wing skin so if you are careful it only takes off the excess filler. I use fine wet or dry paper and go slowly.
Jun 05, 2021, 03:31 PM
So, another session, this time with some ballast made. 30g worth today.
I'm liking this the more that I fly it. There's something intriguing about the poly. Seems to take a lot less rudder and aileron to keep turning, often none with just some elevator input (with snap flap of course). I would think that with less control in there is less draggy clutter-y stuff going on so it's more efficient.
Several times I found myself holding equal and opposite rudder and aileron and consciously let them both come back to center and it just kept turning. In the wind today with 30g it comes back just fine, certainly on par with my other models (Brand X and Brand F, right now). So I have no complaints about penetration.
I was almost too clever making the ballast. I made a little mold to make some square lead that matched the shape of the little tunnel and the little guide box under the wing.
Turns out that there is a big space between then end of the tunnel and the little guide box back under the center of the wing. So ballast made with a wire like this can get off course and start banging into things, mostly it hangs up on the edge of the aft box.
I see the wisdom in the factory ballast now in that the wide flat fiberglass strips keep everything lined up in the tunnel, so the tip of the ballast lines up with the rear box. So there's my tip to future Yodites, make the tab/extension to the ballast something wide and flat like the factory stuff, or just get the factory stuff (they do have some, right?).
To avoid making a whole new set of ballast, I made a guide that steers the ballast to the box. This makes putting in the ballast much easier.
Also my affixing solution is just a little oak block with a relief for the wire and holes drilled horizontally for a right angle bend on the ballast wire. It has allowance for moving the CG forward if desired with a couple more holes. Someone more enterprising than me would have 3D printed it. I plan to modify the 3D printed piece that came with the model to be a backup for this one. The aft hole preserves the CG where it is currently with all the different weights.
One word of caution, the wing trailing edge is very fragile. I have a couple of dings (I'm admittedly clumsy) from just minor bumps. So be careful with it.
Also I have started taping the aileron and flap together with blue tape before putting on the wing bags. The corners of the flap and aileron are very sharp and snag the wing bags if they are the slightest bit out of alignment. So tape for me from now on.
Perhaps this is interesting to someone out there.
Jun 06, 2021, 08:30 AM
Ed Dawson
“Perhaps this is interesting to someone out there.

Mickey, please don’t feel like Robert Neville broadcasting at noon each day (I Am Legend), your comments are always interesting! Maybe if more feedback is wanted, bring back Mal Bond?
Jun 06, 2021, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy-Ed
“Perhaps this is interesting to someone out there.

Mickey, please don’t feel like Robert Neville broadcasting at noon each day (I Am Legend), your comments are always interesting! Maybe if more feedback is wanted, bring back Mal Bond?
Thanks.
I just never know.
Jun 07, 2021, 08:39 AM
My radio setup is here:
Yoda setup on FrSky XlitePro & Access GR6
Jun 07, 2021, 06:59 PM

Contest report!

This weekend I had my first contest with the Yoda. I went in thinking I would not fly the Yoda given that I didn't have much time with it, and it was very windy (10-15mph winds) which didn't make for a good receipe to start flying it. My main plane then would be my Flitz 2 since I have plenty of ballast for it. But when I went to install the heavy ballast for it, the stick broke. My Yoda had a full complement of ballast, so I loaded up the 90 gram stick making it fully 320 grams, test flew and decided to have a go with it. It proved worth it for the penetration I wanted, however I was not able to avoid 2 hard lawn dart incidents which meant for a wrinkled nose at the end of the day (mostly cosmetic). I flew it in every round of the contest so it was truly a baptism by fire! I was leading the contest up until my horrible poker round (the 5th out of 7 rounds). Looking back at the round, if I was able to put 79 more seconds (I only had one 45 second flight recorded , only 300 points) by calling lower achievable times (like 30-45 seconds each) I think I may have won the contest! In the end, I finished 4th. I did manage to get some impressive times in other rounds considering the conditions but I simply got outflown at the end of the day by better pilots. I'm looking forward to getting more time with it, overall I'm impressed!
Last edited by tomkelley; Jun 07, 2021 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply