Mar 21, 2021, 02:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Which plane for learning 3D flying ?

Have been flying RC planes for a few years now and I'm an intermediate pilot. Have flown propeller and EDF planes up to about 1.5kg weight.
Thinking about learning the basics of 3D flying and I'm looking for the best plane for that.

Preferably:
-wingspan: <=1m
-weight <=750g, even better if it's 400g or lower

The lighter planes don't get damaged when they crash, which I expect to happen in the beginning.
Also, the lighter planes are less stable and fly worse than the bigger planes.
So I'm looking for the a good trade-offs in weight between crash resistance and flight qualities.
My guess is that, with foamies, the best range is somewhere between 300-500g, but I'm open for suggestions.

Some of the models I found online in order of decreasing preference:
-HobbyKing Wargo MX2: 955mm wingspan, 650g
-FMS Edge 540: 750mm wingspan, 390g
-Hobbyking MX2: 955mm wingspan, 550g
-Volantex Saber 920: 920mm wingspan, 1100g: heavier than the others
-Multiplex ParkMaster PRO: 975mm, 520g: more expensive than the others

My first choice was HK Wargo MX2 but it's backordered.
Is the HK MX2 quite different from the Wargo MX2 ?

I'm open to any other suggestion.
Any advice ?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2021, 03:31 PM
Team Twisted!
Twisted Hobbys Laser lite is a great Airplane to learn 3d and still one of my favorites to fly. Two cell 350 to 450 mah batteries too.

https://twistedhobbys.com/th-32-epp-...aser-lite-red/
Mar 21, 2021, 03:33 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Twisted Hobby -- your choice of 32" Standard series. These the least likely to suffer much damage in early crashes.

Then graduate to one of the 39" TH airfoil planes like their V3 Edge.

From there dunno -- haven't gotten there yet.

And a good sim can save you a lot of glue and tape.
Mar 21, 2021, 05:08 PM
"Sport 3Der For Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Twisted Hobby -- your choice of 32" Standard series. These the least likely to suffer much damage in early crashes.

Then graduate to one of the 39" TH airfoil planes like their V3 Edge.

From there dunno -- haven't gotten there yet.

And a good sim can save you a lot of glue and tape.
I we agree with this.My 32" Crack Yak has served me well and taken a very pounding(sorry little buddy) and still flies wonderful!
Mar 21, 2021, 09:16 PM
Old's Cool
32" EPP
Twisted is my choice. There are a few others, but avoid the HK stuff.
Mar 21, 2021, 09:33 PM
Also I wouldn't rule out the Hacker lineup. I had a few over the years and they are pretty good. The park master pro is going to be a handful.

I'm voting for a TH Click. Just because I never got around to getting one.

But the bigger they are the easier and more forgiving they fly. If a 48" wasnt out of the question a 48" pp plane would be good and spare parts are available
Mar 22, 2021, 07:46 AM
Flying the 32" stuff is fun, but good flying conditions for them can be hard to come by. Like flying a fart in a wind storm. Not hard to keep them airborne, but you're spending way too much time in "survival" mode.

When you get up into the 39" class there's a very noticable difference in natural stability - allowing time to learn something new. The 42" and bigger allow for pretty decent flying and great stability in the wind - until things start getting really crazy (15mph+). This allows you to focus on your flying - and learning something beyond keeping the plane airborne. With stabilization, these feel like MUCH bigger planes in flight. My experience, FWIW
Mar 22, 2021, 08:36 AM
Try flex innovations or an extra qq. I feel the next step to learning 3D is partly the sim. Spend a couple night practicing your basic 3D and when you feel comfortable, try it on a foamy. I personally consider twisted hobbies way to easy but, that’s me personally. You want something that will test your reaction time a bit.
Mar 22, 2021, 09:28 AM
Well should also ask what style of 3d you are wanting to learn? The flex QQ extra doesn't do high energy xa very good where as the mamba tumbles alot better. Also the 38" PP planes from Future Model or Skywing do high energy xa type of tumbling in the 38" size range and the 48" pp planes from skywing or future model in that size range will do some fairly good tumbling. And can be setup pretty cheap. Also the PP planes will fly like sport aerobatic planes with low rates
Mar 22, 2021, 12:44 PM
I agree with a lot said above but, he should start with a beginner 3D plane. Ironic lol. The thing about high energy frames is they are a lot more reactive in a good way. A good beginner 3D plane should be durable, I would assume you want to start with harriers and some knife edge and inverted harrier. All of the maneuvers are the building blocks before things like XA, more speed equals more skill. With a plane like the mamba or extra, they feel very floaty and fun but not to “super easy”. Try one out and let me know.
Mar 22, 2021, 04:47 PM
Twisted Hobbies 32” standard Edge. Can’t beat an edge for learning 3D. Standard size can take a pretty good beating and with a receiver/gyro all in one no problems in wind up to 10mph.
Mar 22, 2021, 08:51 PM
"Sport 3Der For Life"
Forgot to mention the T/H 39" Flash.Very forgiving plane for multiple flying styles. 3s power
APC 11x4.6 3DSF props.Plenty of power.I use a small gyro and it handles 10+ mph winds,no problem.
Mar 23, 2021, 01:52 AM
I've got 2 profile Twisted Hobbies planes (MXS-C and Edge540XL V2) and tbh, it's a struggle to even get them to fly straight where I am because it's ALWAYS windy. 15-20kmh would be a good day where I am and I'm finding profiles a real pain to learn in those conditions as they are getting tossed around something fierce.

I've had more luck with my Mamba 10, but I like that thing so much I am scared to crash it which is why I bought the profiles to begin with and on the odd chance I find a good day I do love em, but the Mamba 10 just seems to handle everything better.
Mar 23, 2021, 10:32 AM
Toilet paper profiteer
Learning 3D can be done more quickly if you fly every chance you get, which means not being too worried about crashing, which means a repairable airframe, which means thick EPP. Smaller and lighter planes inherently survive crashes better for the same reason that ants can fall from any height but an elephant may die from a one metre drop.

A quality 32" EPP plane with tons of Uhu Por on hand - or a similar flexible glue - will allow you to fly in virtually any conditions short of a storm. Wind teaches reactions and being able to cope with strong wind means a great deal more confidence when conditions improve.

It is all about investing as many hours of practice as possible. Shiny, precise, expensive planes are not the best choice here. Keep it cheap and repairable, and you'll have a workhorse. As it gets heavier from all the glue the speeds will pick up also, as will your skill level. Eventually there'll be more glue than foam, and it may become too heavy to fly. That's the right time to buy a new one
Mar 23, 2021, 10:52 AM
While durable is better, Epp planes “do not fly like foam or balsa”. Epp’s are good for slow flying inside a gym or a low stress plane but, they are far too easy. Get a plane that is repairable but feels like a true model. Trust me that if you want to progress you want a plane that will work your fingers. Obviously balsa will smash in bits but, a foamy like a flex will teach you the right habits and reaction times to advance to hopefully a balsa someday. An Epp is fun but it is way to forgiving.
Recommend
Flex mamba or extra 10

Quick Reply